What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Washing machine extraction

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
In an effort to help you (and answer a lingering question of mine), perhaps someone could explain what is the disadvantage of the following process to re-use the same ethanol to extract for many trim runs. The following example would use 1 gallon of solvent 10 times instead of 10 gallons once:

1.) Chill 2x 1/2 gallon of ethanol using dry ice
2.) Perform QWET on trim
3.) Filter ethanol
4.) Re-chill filtered ethanol
5.) Repeat process until all trim has been processed
6.) Perform distillation and purge

This process would obviously take more time to rechill and filter, but that time would more than be made up by a much faster distillation. If the ethanol is cold enough each time, would the only effect be possible reduced yield? A few percent would not be the end of the world if it reduces process time and solvent cost.

S

sourpuss

Nope wont work. Fill a washing machine with trim and the first pour will clog the filter and thats the end of your idea. Doeantmater what youuse. Alcohol butane hydrogen uranium.

First if you wanna use alcohol why doyouthink washing machine? Why not a big drum and a stick? Will workmuch better than a washing machine. Filter winterize and evaporate. Basically the washing machine will turn into a big useleas drum anyway. Good luck with that!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
And as Sourpuss stated, you really need to scrape the idea of a washing machine. It literally makes absolutely no sense.

Gtir

In an effort to help you (and answer a lingering question of mine), perhaps someone could explain what is the disadvantage of the following process to re-use the same ethanol to extract for many trim runs. The following example would use 1 gallon of solvent 10 times instead of 10 gallons once:

1.) Chill 2x 1/2 gallon of ethanol using dry ice
2.) Perform QWET on trim
3.) Filter ethanol
4.) Re-chill filtered ethanol
5.) Repeat process until all trim has been processed
6.) Perform distillation and purge

This process would obviously take more time to rechill and filter, but that time would more than be made up by a much faster distillation. If the ethanol is cold enough each time, would the only effect be possible reduced yield? A few percent would not be the end of the world if it reduces process time and solvent cost.

this is exactly what I am thinking, the problem is, as the ethanol becomes more concentrated, any that gets trapped in the trim means more loss, so you really need a centrifuge or press to really get every drop

I might buy this

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/maxim...MIu6qktOT21gIV0QoqCh06ew4CEAkYCSABEgKLufD_BwE

or this

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...ahUKEwiArMPK6vbWAhVK5WMKHZ9vDFgQwzwIEw&adurl=

also you can quickly chill the ethanol using a coil in a dry ice bucket

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
As for mixing, this can be done in any simple stainless container that is surrounded with dry ice. All you need is chilled trim and very cold ethanol, let sit for few minutes and then dump into table-top buchner. You would very likely need to experiment with best method to prefilter as much ethanol off as possible first, and you would definitely need to filter the ethanol again before final distillation. You could just keep adding trim material to buchner if it was large enough, and then at the end, you would add a decent amount of fresh virgin ethanol on top to help flush out as much as possible. A deep enough vacuum will really squeeze on the material.

Gtir

As for mixing, this can be done in any simple stainless container that is surrounded with dry ice. All you need is chilled trim and very cold ethanol, let sit for few minutes and then dump into table-top buchner. You would very likely need to experiment with best method to prefilter as much ethanol off as possible first, and you would definitely need to filter the ethanol again before final distillation. You could just keep adding trim material to buchner if it was large enough, and then at the end, you would add a decent amount of fresh virgin ethanol on top to help flush out as much as possible. A deep enough vacuum will really squeeze on the material.

so my next dilemma is how to recover huge quantities of ethanol, I think a roto is too slow, how fast is a big still?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back to the concept of chlorophyll soup, check out the thread I just posted on subzero ethanol extraction systems.

GNYC

Just curious, what is the total price for your setup (including chiller, pump, etc.) to be able to process that fast? Thanks.

soooooooo you're going to hate me when I say I don't know the price lol! I came into a situation where I was brought in as a lab worker and watched the people in charge of me fuck so much shit up that they got let go. The only thing they knew how to do was ask for super expensive equipment claim to know how to use it and then destroy product. That is when as i stated in the introduction forum I was sent to SoCal and took a bunch of classes on the process came back and took the lab over and have spent days at a time reading up on things I had very little knowledge of until I was able to have things in front of me to learn from. That being said.... that knock of bucci roto is prolly 30-40 g's? the pic is below. we skipped the chiller portion of things and used a river that runs through the property and supplies water to two of the houses on the property. The chiller would have taken 3 phase and we weren't equipped for that (or at least i believe thats why we used the river). you can check everything out in the pic below. Normal pump we'd use for most other parts of the process. Only thing fancy is the pace at which this thing rips through buckets...

Attachments

• 22563669_10101209216263118_1210767761_o.jpg
    22563669_10101209216263118_1210767761_o.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8