What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grower, plants looking ill

avalon polo

Hi everybody, I bought some seeds a month ago and my four seedlings looked good until some days ago. They are, as I said, one month old, and two days ago two of them started to show some bad symptoms, such as decaying leaves and general yellowing. The other two look better, but I don't know if I will be able to get something out of them. I never grew anything before these, so I have no clue about what the problem can be. I lurked a bit and I found out that it can be overwatering or nitrogen deficiency, but I would like to know if I can still save them, and most important, what the specific issue is.
The seedlings are four Jack 47 Auto and I grow outdoors. Here are photos: the first two are two most bad looking.

Thanks in advance.

avalon polo

They look old enough to start light feeding
I gave them some nitrogen-based manure yesterday, but I noticed no difference. It was a very little amount btw, 1 teaspoon diluted in 1 liter of water.
Do you think they can be saved? The first two look pretty bad to me, as a newbie.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
honestly they look to be ok for now
whats the soil? you not gonna fix leaves thats already yellow
just keep em under a good light and water when the pots are light, but before they droop

yoss33

Veteran
Hey, man, you could be simply over-watering! Cannabis likes its roots to breathe and this doesn't happen in stale water. Small plants drink very little and so there's no need to water. Wait till the soil surface dries before watering again.

burmese

probably combination of bad earth //overvater,ph,minerals// and rootbound
or simply bad batch of seeds, all the same problem

avalon polo

honestly they look to be ok for now
whats the soil? you not gonna fix leaves thats already yellow
just keep em under a good light and water when the pots are light, but before they droop

It's a standard/universal soil. I know it's no good but I had only it in my home and I couldn't buy other.
Also, by "good light" do you mean an additional indoor lamp?

Hey, man, you could be simply over-watering! Cannabis likes its roots to breathe and this doesn't happen in stale water. Small plants drink very little and so there's no need to water. Wait till the soil surface dries before watering again.

Yes I suspected it but I got scared when I saw decaying signs on the first plant.

Thank you all. Other people said me that the first two were gone, and the other two would have given me a poor-as-fuck harvest. I hope not, because as a newbie I've spent money and a lot of time on them.

avalon polo

probably combination of bad earth //overvater,ph,minerals// and rootbound
or simply bad batch of seeds, all the same problem
I think seeds are ok, or at least I bought them from a reliable market.

So there's a way to fix bad soil? Nutrients can do anything? Thanks

burmese

i would do 1 keep earth dry
2 keep em to bigger pot with different earth- wet earth and keep some light vegetate feeding //nettle for example//
3 if you can keep em some added light if you are not at south earth

avalon polo

i would do 1 keep earth dry
2 keep em to bigger pot with different earth- wet earth and keep some light vegetate feeding //nettle for example//
3 if you can keep em some added light if you are not at south earth
Thank you, tomorrow I'll try to find a proper soil and I'll transplant them. I'm from Italy btw, quite sunny but we're approaching November so I don't know, I read that autoflowering plants don't need much light as the normal ones but I also read that they won't bloom in November/December.
Also, do you think the last two plants look ok?

burmese

yes but they prefer longer hours of light per day //even with half intensity light///
dont worry about them they are healthy and imunne strain, they will recover soon, keep mirror behind them if you can outdoor or behind window

Satyros

Greetings,

if you are as far down as Calabria, you might have some luck, otherwise, I'd have to agree your plants are going to need more light, as in longer hours. I would be looking for a strong indoor light, and just take them outside for a few hours in the middle of the day. Couldn't tell what your light is?

Not trying to say you have no chance, but those seedlings look a few days old, not one month. At one month, it should have four or five nodes, and look like a miniature version of a fully grown plant. Small containers are fine to start the seeds, but almost as soon as it has a couple of true leaves, it needs a bigger home. Think of it like you're trying to grow a root system, instead of leaves.

Be careful about mirrors, windows, glass...those can concentrate infra-red light and invisibly cook your plants. It may be helpful, but it's risky for that reason.

Latest posts

Latest posts