What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Storing pollen

Popey

Veteran
Hi !

I want to store some pollen in the freezer for a few months (3-4). Which temperature will be best ?

Thanks.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For pollen... Freeze it & keep it that way.
Once your ready to use it, get it out & let it warm up for a few hours before dusting your ladies.

If you want to use that pollen more than once, freeze several baggies & only get out what you need when you need it.

Pollen can be stored for about a year, maybe longer, ime.

WelderDan

Veteran
For pollen... Freeze it & keep it that way.
Once your ready to use it, get it out & let it warm up for a few hours before dusting your ladies.

If you want to use that pollen more than once, freeze several baggies & only get out what you need when you need it.

Pollen can be stored for about a year, maybe longer, ime.

I agree with this. It basically can't be refrozen, so keep that in mind. Make several small baggies (a little goes a long way). I like to use an artist brush (Q-Tip works in a pinch) for application.

I've got some in the freezer going on 3 years. Will test the viability her soon.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the important thing when freezing pollen (just like seeds) is to make sure it is dry. fresh pollen has a fair bit of moisture in it which will condense out in the container as it cools down in the freezer and is likely to spoil the pollen.

to dry it, i put the collected pollen on a piece of paper and seal it into a container with some rice or silica gel and leave it for a day or two, then i put the dry pollen into a clean dry vial and freeze it.

VG