What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Micro Adventures with Mr. Sparkle

M

Mr. Sparkle

Thanks Grouchy and Dion for stopping by, glad you've enjoyed it so far.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Here's my weekly update, thing are a bit off kilter due to the whole flushing debacle mentioned before but are coming back to a good level point.

Ashla: Nothing Impressive

Three of the (Mandala #1 X (Mandala#1 x Jamil Sayyida) where males, so they got the chop, if a nice male pops up in my hunting ill use it.

Also chopped one of the Orange Buds, just cause i didn't need it, will be wasting space in the future, plus it was one of the stressed ones.

So i'll let one each of the Lemon Kush and Orange Bud run out another 3-4 weeks, Just to do a quick second test grow, even if the result wont show possible yeild, but ill have some clones of them going in a week or so for that purpose, as i think they might be the keepers for me so far.

wfdk6mD.jpg

Bogan:

The two Krakatoa and three Sin Mints are coming along nicely.
Have one clone each of the Orange Bud and Lemon Kush, they got root trimmed and potted. Also the mothers got a trim to build structure and keep them short.

The re-vegging C99 and BubbleGummer were lightly trimmed to the buds that were showing decent regrowth.

Which leaves us to the autoflowers which aren't doing to well...

Problems:
I had the autoflowers on the front face side of the box "Far Right", there now at the right back wall, but i had the soil sensor in one of the plants, till it either popped out or i didn't put it back in the soil...

Now being that the plants are on the far right and the reservoir dump in on the left side a situation occurred, this only occurred because Bogan was full, normally when not running at full capacity the pots are a bit more spaced out which allows the water to easily flow between them and get all the pots, but i haven't had it really packed with the newer watering system.

So being full this prevented the water from easily touching all the pots and was getting mainly used up by the pots on the left side, causing the right side to run drier, "key note " where the soil sensor was located, but it ran so dry that its used up the reservoir over the weekend with the chain effect of causing the pots on the right to be over wet but still fine and the left side being drier and still needing water, but surviving.

Solutions:
For the sensor, i'll be going with flexible cabling when it gets replaced, so ill pick up and use some multi-strand wire instead of a solid core wire like i was using, making it more stable in the pot by the flexible wire and also be less likely to get moved to point where it looses contact with the soil for a false reading.

For the watering issue, for a simple possible fix i'll probably slightly increase the height of the Left hand ride of the tray, to allow water to flow easier to the Right side, and also increase the valve open time for the water, to allow more liquid in which will help the pots take up the water more equally, but will come at the cost of a bit less frequent waterings as there will be a bigger variance from the just watered point, and needing to be watered point. But shouldn't be too much, maybe a couple hrs more to a day max.

g1gKb1E.jpg

Last edited:

Gnz

I love the way a micro sog can make a tiny space look like a jungle, sounds like a minor issue with an easy fix for those dried out autos too!

I take it you're a reasonably light smoker or is this just to throw some extra variety in the mix? Nice to see someone growing some less couchlock strains in a micro cab and taming some of those sativa heavy hybrids.

M

Mr. Sparkle

I love the way a micro sog can make a tiny space look like a jungle, sounds like a minor issue with an easy fix for those dried out autos too!

I take it you're a reasonably light smoker or is this just to throw some extra variety in the mix? Nice to see someone growing some less couchlock strains in a micro cab and taming some of those sativa heavy hybrids.

Thanks for stopping by Gnz, and they do become like a jungle.

Yes i'm a very light smoker in most people's regards, as i tend to have a puff 1-3 times a week on average.

I'll say this i don't smoke to get high, its just a side effect than can be fun sometimes. I smoke Marijuana because it helps me be a better person, as it allows me to calm down, relax, be introspective of things happening in my life, and more connected to the things and people around me. It helps me appreciate the things you normally would gloss over, or allows me to see the bigger picture in things when i frequently get lost in the details.

With that said take my last round harvest for example, if i used all of it myself it would last me a very long time such as a year plus, but when trying different genetics not all become favorites so not all of them get consumed.

My main goal right now is to find genetics that suit me best, with some exploration, experimentation, and fun thrown into the mix, as the genetic variability fascinates and intrigues me with what can be done or achieved.

So its kinda yes to both of your questions, and im not a big fan of couchlock strains thus the sativa hybrids, as full or high leaning sativa's are such a pain to work with in a small environment, it can be done and i have my methods "topping, cropping, pruning, defoliation, FIM, LST, even High Stress Training" but like to find or breed genetics that behave a bit better in a small environment.

Gnz

Thanks for stopping by Gnz, and they do become like a jungle.

Yes i'm a very light smoker in most people's regards, as i tend to have a puff 1-3 times a week on average.

I'll say this i don't smoke to get high, its just a side effect than can be fun sometimes. I smoke Marijuana because it helps me be a better person, as it allows me to calm down, relax, be introspective of things happening in my life, and more connected to the things and people around me. It helps me appreciate the things you normally would gloss over, or allows me to see the bigger picture in things when i frequently get lost in the details.

With that said take my last round harvest for example, if i used all of it myself it would last me a very long time such as a year plus, but when trying different genetics not all become favorites so not all of them get consumed.

My main goal right now is to find genetics that suit me best, with some exploration, experimentation, and fun thrown into the mix, as the genetic variability fascinates and intrigues me with what can be done or achieved.

So its kinda yes to both of your questions, and im not a big fan of couchlock strains thus the sativa hybrids, as full or high leaning sativa's are such a pain to work with in a small environment, it can be done and i have my methods "topping, cropping, pruning, defoliation, FIM, LST, even High Stress Training" but like to find or breed genetics that behave a bit better in a small environment.

I smoke for similar reasons to you, just more frequently, I certainly prefer a more cerebral, motivated sativa experience. My wife smokes more to medicate herself so prefers indicas.
I agree that introspective connection is very important for personal growth and a change in perspective is important when problem solving, meditative quality is just as important as thc content in my opinion.

Happy hunting! The world needs some dialed in Mr. Sparkle Micro Landrace seeds :bandit:

M

Mr. Sparkle

Update: The Bubblegummer #2 is getting the axe, Here's why.

After an initial hang dry, then jarring, the Bubblegummer had a very strong stench to it and not in a good way, it was a over powering skunk, muskiness with other smells mixed in, which didnt make it to appealing for my goals, but it was also so pungent that with 5-6 or so grams of dried herb in one small jar, it over powered a weak seal on the jar, and proceeded to stink up a room quite bad, which didn't make the better half too happy, and shes very supportive of me and my hobbies, this included.

So Bubblegummer #2 is getting the axe.

As for the rest and how they turned out as far as smoke/smell/ect, only two worth mentioning is the C99 and Lemon Kush out of the last round.

The C99 i wouldn't normally keep well this one anyways, as it grew really lanky, made fluffy buds that didn't yield much this round, and has a weird musky fruity smell to it, that isn't necessarily pleasant to me, but what it did have is a pretty clear headed high, which was its redeeming factor, so ill keep it for another round to try it again.

The Lemon Kush is a keeper, it was the highest yielding out of the bunch, but took a bit longer which is no issue, but the scent on the dried stuff, is a peppermint, chocolate, hint of lemon fruitiness, biscuit smell, and is quite pleasant, the high was a less clear headed high than the c99, still productive but relaxing if you wanted, but also more introspective. It will stay around for awhile.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Man I'm loving those boxes! :dance013: Would you mind elaborating more on the Arduino boards you're running? I've seriously been thinking about some of the awesome things I could do with those. For example, fan PWM based on temperature and humidity. PWM on my COBs to simulate sunrise and sunset. Of course I could use it instead of a timer... you get the point. :smoky:

I'm particularly interested in the components you are using. I Was at Frys the other day and got overwhelmed with all the options. I'm a software engineer by trade and work with microprocessors every once and again, just need to be pointed in the right direction. :thinking::thank you:

M

Mr. Sparkle

Forsure.

My boxes are pretty much exactly the same apart from the main arduino board,

Bogan has a Arduino Leonardo, Ashla a pro micro, but id be running a pro micro in both just due to the size, but already had a Leonardo mounted in Bogan before i got some pro micros.

But there are equivalent newer versions out there but the differences come down to what you want them to do vs what you need, like how many input/output point you need, to things like wifi access, for say remote updates and control, with live data logging and webcams, which would be nice but a bit to complex for myself, or i guess i should say involvement.

But here's a list and i'll elaborate on them a bit

I use a Ebay Chinese Pro Micro Arduino, my initial batch was good, but my second order they had a cheaper power ic chip on the board that when you hooked up to 12vdc, which is within spec of the allowable voltages for the original versions, it caused them to blow, so just to get around that issue with the second batch i started using a dc to dc buck converter to limit the input voltage which is what i should of done in the first place.

Everything runs off a 12v wall wort power adapter

They have a 16x2 lcd screen on each and are just a reverse output green display so its black apart from the text i want to display which lights up green. They are coupled to a I2C lcd board which allows the lcd to be run off two wires.

1302 Real Time Clock they also run off the same two wires as the lcd screen, they have Lithium rechargeable 2032 batteries.

DHT22 Temperature and Humidity sensor, it works reasonably well, but gives false readings if directly shined on, but i use them for a simple display of the boxes temp and humidity, i was gonna tie these into the PWM fans, but haven't gotten around to it, as i dont really need too when the boxes are run in a temperature controlled house..

PWM fans, one for the case and filter and another for internal air circulation, which helps the plants out, but they running off the internal 16mhz clock on the arduino, the control by the arduino isn't as fine as i would like or at least the coding i'm using isn't as fine, but i run them on a two setting situation, lights on and light off, the fans slow right down on lights off as i don't need them for cooling and quiets them down even more for night time. But they don't run at full speed while on anyways as i didn't need them too.

2 Relays, one controls the power of the LED's for the on off cycles, the other controls the 1/2" 12v ebay water valve, the arduino's can't pass enough power for the valve so had to run it through a relay.

Custom made soil sensor, consisting of two 2" finishing nails on a spacer that holds them 1.5cm apart, i ran a cheap ebay sensor, but it burnt out in literately a couple days, which is why i have some coding that prevents a full res dump on a sensor overfault or dislodge, but the ebay ones are just a simple plated version, and with the way the sensor reads the soil it goes through the same process as electroplating, which is also the same process used to make colloidal silver for feminizing, now if your consistently measuring the soil it breaks down the sensor quite quick, so i put in coding that only turns on the sensor just before its takes a reading, which is once an hr at the moment, then its turned off, because of that the sensor should now last at least a year plus.

But apart from that, that's what i have in it now, also i guess i have the stock pc power and reset buttons wired in aswell as i wanted to use them for control, currently i use the power button with some coding that after holding it down for two seconds, it over writes the base lcd display which is "date, time, temperature and humidity" and shows the soil sensor set-point and current soil sensor reading by turning it on so long as the button is held down. But i want to add some button control such as valve open time and soil sensor set-point, and possible lights on and off time control, but menu creation, selection and looping of the functions makes my head spin when thinking about it, so i haven't jumped into that realm yet.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Should say the Real time clock is there, one to keep track of the time incase of a power outage, and two the internal timer on the arduino's isnt the most accurate, its close, but over time you would find things like light on off cycle's shifting till they arent turning on and off when you want them too. Plus the timer only goes so big before it jumps back to 0, which could be in middle of say your light off period and would cuase the light to turn on possibly depending on your coding.

There are also other options such as a rasberry pi with an I/O board and you can use all the same parts as arduinos, and then your running a micro pc to run everything, i just went the arduino route for the simplicity and i didnt need it to run with all the functions and controls as say a "bio dome" which brings up a whole bunch of pauly shore movies...

So definitely calling it a night after having the memories of those jump into my head lol.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Decided to throw up the pictures today instead of tomorrow, so they are a day early.

Ashla: There doing alright, nothing much to report, other than the Cherry Bomb, was trying to take over another pot with its roots, well more than normal, mad a big mass of them growing out the bottom side and attached itself to another pot and latched on.

Bogan: There recovering from previous mishaps, and the BubbleGummer #2 is gone, the C99 is re-vegging nicely, also changed back to a 3:1 mix of veg vs flower nutrients.

Ashla is getting a 1:3 mix, as i was noticing some nitrogen deficiencies and want to see if the a bit more nitrogen will help reduce the initial stretch in flower and allow them to be a bit better in transition, as i would like to be able to just run one mix through out each box, and this will allow me to easily make the mixes easily for each box.

Ashla
CRwg9Uu.jpg

Bogan
9kXjgay.jpg

M

Mr. Sparkle

Currently im running a rough 50/50 mix of coco and perlite, with some dolomite lime mixed in for pH balancing, and it gets reused till it starts breaking down.

But i've run organic soils, peat moss mixes, coco coir mixes, personal compost mixes, the only thing i haven't done is full hydro, or true soil-less mixes like hydroton, or straight perlite.

All work, with there own advantages, this is just my current foray.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Started 8 new seeds today as things seem to be back on track now.

List:
3 Fem Bubblegum XL - Royal Queen Seeds Got them as a freebie, and seeing how the Female Seeds Version wasn't to my liking i might as well burn through these to see if they are similar.

1 Fem Critical - Royal Queen Seeds Another freebie, my reasoning to run it now is the packaging took up too much space, no other reason than that... lol

1 Fem Auto Mazar - Dutch Passion Seeds Things will hopefully go smoother for this one.

1 Fem Think Different Auto - Dutch Passion Seeds

1 Fem Auto Dark Devil - Sweet Seeds

1 Fem Auto Chemdog - Auto Seeds Freebie and least interesting to me, so i expect to burn through it unless it impresses me.

Now i prefer regular seeds, but feminized seeds can be useful, and the auto's im just giving a try as i have no reason not to "open mind"

Gonna need to make a couple new pots, but they should be all sprouted and in pots by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
What a brave corporate logo! I accept the challenge of
Mr. Sparkle.

this is really cool!
/sub

doams

those japanese guys should miniaturize everything to fit pc case like industrial micro ac units ,micro high end carbon filters size like 7x7 inch with zero noise and high efectivity so everything would fit in nicely it would be like the perfect high eng pc case for just one purpose :D
:kos:

M

Mr. Sparkle

Sunday fun day.

Well since last week, we now have some seeds potted up and sprouted, also moved the batch of sin mints and Krakatoa over to flower in Ashla.

Alongside them is one bubblegum xl seedling that will get a 12/12 for seed treatment, just because i ran out of room in Bogan "veg", it was the weakest seedling out of the latest batch and i expected it to struggle and possibly not make it, but its going now, also i expected to have moved the one orange bud clone over to flower, but it wasn't ready.

For note purposes taking clones haven't been dialed in yet in these two boxes and so far ive been running into rot issues and slowness because of them staying too wet. Next batch ill be raising them off the bottom of the tray so they don't get any water, which should help with them needing to grow roots to search for water.

Bogan is getting its programming fine tuned with the slanted trays, which are now propped up about 1/2" on one side, all the plants are getting water now, but the duration of the valve open time is too long compared to the soil sensor check time of once every hr, so its draining the reservoir rather quick and then sits longer than i would like until the next watering, so ill be increasing the soil sensor check time to 1.5hrs, and dropping the open valve time by two secs, to even things out hopefully.

As for the auto flowers, the quick-one auto actually looks like it has a week left, and the auto mazars a couple weeks, the quick one has surprised me even with all the abuse its taken, so its definitely intriguing at what is possible with autos, this next round should be better.

As for Ashla, also propped up the tray in it as if the one box is having the issue the other will as well, the orange bud clone maybe has a week left, the lemon kush clone at least 2 weeks forsure, and the Critical Cheese between a 1-2 weeks, which i wont be keeping around after this run. As for the personal crosses there too early to tell, but the cherry bomb is looking good, but the ice bomb isn't, its growing similar to how other ice plants i have had in the past are which didn't impressed me, so it most likely wont pass to the next round.

Bogan
AZq03lS.jpg

Ashla
KkIpZEu.jpg

M

Mr. Sparkle

Well didn't noticed yesterday but one of the old (Mandala #1 x (Mandala #1 x Jamil Sayyida))crosses decided to hermi out most likely due to the stress i threw at it, which shouldn't of happened.

I don't fault the genetics i fault myself when i made them years ago as i do recall now looking back that i had a hermi or two when i was doing these seeds "i think ?", and i thought i threw them out, but then again i use to think of every seed as precious so i possibly didn't chuck them.

Oh well, it gets the axe, and ill be watching the other one thats left, but so far it looks like i wont be keeping that one either, as it isn't impressing me.

Another reason why you should keep a grow journal in whatever format, then you can look back in it if needed, which i wasn't keeping a journal of at the time...

Last edited: