What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking Vertically 101 : The Build & Grow

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Ok so first things first
Im Boyd . Im just a closet grower guy, been growing for about a year.

Im thinking about going vertical for the new year.
I have about 6 weeks till the next cycle and wanted to do a build thread where I ask for your suggestions based on my room and current gear , and then a grow thread where you and me can see how our designs worked out.
Except, this is the internet, and noones got that kinda attention span...
soooooooooooo
Im gonna do it in a long and convoluted build/grow thread ftw

We are officially into the build with pics if you wanna skip to the meat click me to go to page 4!

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Ok so heres me
4x6x7 closet
3x600w hps 2x dimmable 1 mag
Organic soil lc's#2 R1 Base
Aacts every watering
1 porttable ac 12k
8"fan and massive carbon filter mounted in attic
GG#4x's (bugman's RGT, Loud and Proud Representah!), C99, legit gg4 and some testers stuff

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
currently in the home stretch of a scrog
running c99 and RGT
gonna be ok , had two plants die in the scrog from heat and a topdressing gone wrong
so

Im no old salt or know it all.

I feel however, i can get more out of my space
Im thinking with RGT and c99, I have the stretchy genes to work on this right now
the gg4 is yet to be flowered by me, so lets say i have 5 knowns and a possible for this grow. I have no idea how gg4 stretches

I have a veg room, waiting for their spotlight , currently on the upswing of a borg issue
current flower had some show up as well. I finally figured out you cant be as heavy handed on borg treatment as the bottle says, but thats another thread

anyways,
i figure instead of 24sf, why not try ~85sf with 6 girls?
so if you are down, Ima start asking some question?
Ill start with what size pots? Ive used 3gl, 5gl buckets, 10gl pots, and totes from 18 up
should i go with 10's? 18's might cramp my workspace, maybe growbags?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Your closet is 4' wide, 6' deep, and 7' tall? 2, 600's will jam in there. I would build a shelf halfway up the wall, all the way around the room. Do two levels of plants. Tall/stretchy strains on the floor, no-stretch/bushy strains on the upper shelf.

Line the walls with some kind of trellis/netting, and BOOM!!! Walls of weed. Mount brackets on the middle part of the door for a plant, and have a container on casters below it, no wasted space!!

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
so as you can see, i have a 4" fan pulling air from the veg room and pushing through the three hoods and into a 8" hose going to the carbon
and I also have the exhaust of the ac going into that same scrubber
which means the air is not getting recycled and I cannot figure out how to do so without another carbon filter or fan setup and also sucking up my ac cooled air
so im open for suggestions there
in the summer , its a struggle for the ac to keep things below 81*
i guess with just 2 600's it was easier for the ac , and in looking at it again , 3 600 would be too much so yeah 2 woiuykd be cool

I remember a thread in here a guy had his lights go up and down using a set of pulleys and a light mover
id like to try that , but I cant find the thread , it was however enough info that I think I could pull it off myself with a little engineering

I like the casters idea dbl, was already looking for a dolley for the door girl
but i cant see how id make the shelf work with the stretchy as hell rgt and c99 will stretch almost as much

one of my concerns about vertical has always been plant mobility , just being able to move everything out of the room to clean up, but since ive been trying to scrog, its kinda a moot point. I would be worried more about bugs in between the plant and wall

I do have a borg issue, and Ive been treating regularly and the flower room hasnt been hard to control but my veg room, poor things gotta get the spray 1-2 times a week lateley
Im not crazy about doing this cause they arent looking as green and well fed as they used to. its also holding their growth back a bit. but thats ok as its coming under control now and i can concentrate on feeding and nurturing them back to 100%

any ways if you have some pics of the shelf idea, id like to see em

EL ROBUSTO

Excellent Boyd nice set up buddy!!!!!!:)
Good luck to you in all your future vertical endeavours, been planing on trying verticle my self next grow.
Also Boyd what does RGT stand for??:dunno:

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I can't find the pics of the room I built with the shelves on the walls. If your worried about the plants stretching too much, skip the shelf, and have the bulbs one right on top of the other, and just run a single donut.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Excellent Boyd nice set up buddy!!!!!!:)
Good luck to you in all your future vertical endeavours, been planing on trying verticle my self next grow.
Also Boyd what does RGT stand for??:dunno:

Thanks robusto
I call this rgt when in fact its just shortened to rgt to make it easier to discuss
GG4 X RGT= [RGT = early purple kush x c99 X MY POLY THAI]
which is a bugman52 tester run I found a keeper in

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I can't find the pics of the room I built with the shelves on the walls. If your worried about the plants stretching too much, skip the shelf, and have the bulbs one right on top of the other, and just run a single donut.

hey dont worry it will come up in the interim
my 2 main strains will be fine, its the unkowons im worried about
like the gg#4 i got last year and the gorilla stompers i popped from bugmans labs

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
hey dont worry it will come up in the interim
my 2 main strains will be fine, its the unkowons im worried about
like the gg#4 i got last year and the gorilla stompers i popped from bugmans labs

As long as you don't call the GG#4 hybrid "Apeshit" like stringravioli, a.k.a. hard mode, a.k.a. PBH , I'll keep looking for the pics:laughing:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
dood, im so not bonghits, lol,
I kinda liked the guy, even though he was mostly a jerk who peed on his plants
ICmag has banned quite a few in the last year.
but thats not why I come here or anything to do with this thread
I could be banned for this one post fwiw

anyways, Ill be updating soon...

EL ROBUSTO

Line the walls with some kind of trellis/netting, and BOOM!!! Walls of weed. Mount brackets on the middle part of the door for a plant, and have a container on casters below it, no wasted space!![/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm a container on castors now there's an idea!!!!!!!:)

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
yes - its a closet and Ill be vegging em a week or two in the vert room
thanks for sropping in
Ill be collecting a ferw things for the expirement in the next few weeks so stAY TUNED

Latest posts

Latest posts