What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CONTEST #1: Essay (Best Grow)

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
These are really tough to pick a winner from, am reviewing
all entries posted so far, will try and post a winner tomorrow.
Thanks for soooo many nice posts! :canabis:

:friends:
dg

G

nycnoob> leave it up there...ya never know.....the prettiest horse don't always win the race!!

Hey Dutchgrown? I'd like to remove mine from consideration. I just recieved a PM from a private breeder to do a test grow on here for him, as this was out of the blue, I think karma dictates I withdraw......not like I had a snowballs chance anyway, I thot everybody elses was better, even nycnoob

buzzerd

my essay

my essay

forgive me if it's a little long but it is what it is.............
A True Growers Diary

I myself have been in good health until Feb. of 04 when I had been hit in the ribs from a drill binding and slapping back into my ribs…big deal…at the time it was fine but over the next 2 weeks it became apparent there was something else was wrong. One day getting ready for work I went to relieve myself and aw shit I was bleeding and there was a tissue discharge that sent me for the phone and to consult my mother (as we all do in time of need) so now it’s off to the dr. .I had retrieved the tissue that was expelled from me and gave it to the doc and off he went to the lab. Well now the fun begins the doc said to be sure that we know what’s going on in there we are going to have a cat scan done on the rib and abdomen area and we’ll know what’s going on, but don’t worry I just think that it was a deep bruise and possibly a blood clot had formed and this is what was expelled from your system.
I received a call the next morning and was informed that I need to go see Dr. #2 the appointment is made you need to go there now they are waiting for you. They had sent me to a urologist and after being ushered in Dr.Johnson who is a no nonsense man informed me that I had 2 tumors 1 the size of a dime the other a silver dollar they need to come out now, and we have scheduled surgery for tomorrow and handed a prep sheet as to what they were going to do and what I needed to do before surgery. The one thing that I was really worried about was whether it was benign or malignant, so doc what do you think you’ve done this enough what is you opinion? No fucking around straight to the point he said malignant but I will not know for sure until I see the lining of your bladder. When I got to the hospital and went to the designated area for prep they had told me that they were going to give me a spinal block that paralyze me from the waist down and that the procedure was going to be done through my penis…ah shit… but not to worry that it usually wears off in about 3-4 hrs after the procedure. Soo off to lala land I go.
4 hours later they woke me up and Dr.Johnson came to see me and said all went well and that he had good news…the cancer had not penetrated the inner wall lining of my bladder, this had been the biggest concern of the Dr. as it would have meant it had either spread, or it had come from another part of my body. He told me that they had put in what they call a “Foley” which for those that do not know is a catheter so that my bladder would drain and that they were going to keep me for the night and that I could go home the next day if my urine was clear and I had to go to the bathroom on my own after removing the Foley. He also told me that I was to have a treatment once a week for 6 weeks to eradicate the cancer; this consisted of being treated with TB. And that it would not cause me any discomfort and that I could go about my regular activities.
Bullshit any time someone is going to shove a tube up my dick at 8 am every week for 6 weeks I’m going to have some discomfort. So now here comes the drugs, mostly painkillers that are ok sometimes but they really put me through a lot of emotional changes mostly being very bitchy. Now mind you when all this happened I was very frank and honest with my Dr.’s and had informed them that I do smoke marijuana (MJ) for medicinal uses.
As I have gotten older I have my aches and pains as we all do and instead of becoming dependant to painkillers I choose to grow and smoke Medical MJ (MMJ) Dr. Johnson and I had had a very good conversation about this and he said if it works why change. Continue to do, as you were if it helps you that much. But for the time being he wanted me to take the painkillers for discomfort.
All went well and I went home, now mind you I had started a grow (bag weed as I had no money for quality seeds) a week before this happened and all I wanted to do was go home relax and see my babies, LOL girlfriend included. Well…she does live with me and puts up with my shit.
I would be off work for the next month minimum, and the treatments would start in 4 weeks.
My babies grew healthy and I got 1 girl to nurse me back to health, besides the GF.I felt like I had my own private nurse with that little girl and we formed a special bond. I was there to help her, as she was there to help me through my times of need. There was such a calming feeling and aura that this growing plant gave to sooth my nerves. I watched her grow into a teenager and I had to leave her on her own now, as I had to return to work.
I felt fine but my side had begun to hurt again, this is where it had all started. When they found the tumors they completely forgot about the original injury that had caused it all. Back to the DR. Well I had a broken rib pain full mother too if you’ve ever had one you know what I mean. You can’t cough, laugh and for gods sake don’t sneeze I learned that one the hard way. So now I’m off work for another 3 weeks and I went home to take care of me and my teenager who was now turning into a women and to be honest I think I would have gone bonkers had I not had her there to help me with her soothing properties that she bestowed to me. God bless her.
All went well and I returned to work and 1 week later I broke rib #2 by coughing after lighting a cigarette no shit a fucking cancer stick just broke my rib, back to the DR. and more painkillers. And more time off work. So back to the garden and my little nurse god she’s getting big and fat and she needs a shower she stinks so much oh how I love her.
Needless to say she kept me company through out my illness and it was a shame that her time came to leave this world as she helped me cope with my day to day needs as she continued to nurture me through medication that she gave me I will never forget her for this I still keep a picture of her for remembrance as she was my first grow in my new life……….

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Will get to these over the next couple of days. Promise!
Was very busy loading over 1000 auctions so just didn't
have time to read today. Continue to submit your stories,
there's still time to get a couple last ones in.

Thanks!
dg

The Inline CFL Method

The Inline CFL Method

In in effort to boost lumens per sq. foot I invented this method a few years ago posted under a different alias on various MJ forums. The basics are as fallows:

QT.| ITEM________________________________________|
1 x 72" 'Tripp-Lite' Power Strip w/ 20 Amp breaker
16 x 20 watt Soft White CFL's
4 x 42 watt Warm White CFL's
4 x 45 watt Cool White CFL's

I went with an unintentional B52 x PPP hybrid made from an accidental PPP hermie from a previous grow with Nirvana seeds that I had purcahsed from SD. The previous grow was thwarted by an ex-girlfriend (a very long boring tear filled story encompassing several years of my life).

This was a VERY limited closet grow with only 26" of vertical space, 18" deep, and 72" wide. I decided to go with only seven plants this time for the best light coverage, I used commonly available nutrients like bloodmeal and bonemeal, and an all organic soil mix. I let the plants get about 10" to 13" before flowering and they ended up at 18" to 22" when finnished. The plants where in 1 gal. pots and held an average yield of 3.5 to 4.0 ounces per plant. I had just over a pound of dried herb after all was said and done, which I (now regretfully) allowed the said ex-girlfriend and her horrid tweaker-cell-phone-jockey boyfriend to consume within three months time in a generous attempt to be the better man. From this experience I have learned a lot, first and foremost, the next girl I date will have to grow her own damn bud! Not to mention a natural contempt for tweakers! Get you own damn girlfriends! I mean seriously, common... seriously...

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
^^^^^^^^^ alright OFunnyOne :laughing:

These things are harder to decide upon than
someone might think....I'm getting to it.

*dg scratches her head and wonders WHY
did she have essay contests...they are ALWAYS
so hard to pick a winner from cause there's always
more than one that stands out!

Perhaps tomorrow sometime I'll narrow it down to
one & post the winner. :chin:

:friends:dg

O

OHenry

I was just playin anyways DG. You sure got your hands full with all these contests. :woohoo: OH

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Hands full you say..... :biglaugh:
Right now my head is spinning trying to narrow
down the cutest pets! :yoinks:
That one is super tough! :eek:

dg

R

Ronley

I think that the Super/Cutest pet is almost impossible to decide...
You have really given yourself a hard task... :)

G

My Best Grow Ever Titled: How Tighty Whitey the strain never became.

My Best Grow Ever Titled: How Tighty Whitey the strain never became.

In 1989 it seemed that everyone was a basement grower. I was 18 at the time and since I lived in a basement I too was going to become a basement grower. The best thing about this basement apartment of mine was that it had yet another basement within it.Yep, super security indeed. Just open the door to my dirt closet jaunt down the three steps behind the rear closet curtain and you had entered my growlab. Equipped with a ceramic pullstring lightbulb socket sans lightbulb and shipping pallet cumwork bench this was definitely going to be the best 3' by 3' secret grow factory ever.The only thing it needed was the glow of some indoor sun. I screwed in the sylvania 100 watt incandescent sheilded my eyes as I pulled the nut hanging at the end of the string and voila night turned to day.Definitely the best room ever.
Now that the greatest stealth farm ever had been completed it was time to select the strain of all strains. Being pre www and post Operation green merchant this was no easy task. A covert mission was hatched between my best friend/ secret operative to obtain the finest genetics we had ever encountered. Operation Undies Drawer was launched at precisely 11:00 am on Sunday.
The sentries of the undie drawer would be out of the house and my secret operative would secure the target codenamed "popsstash". By 12 noon agent returns and the operation is complete.
Our new strain "tighty whitey" is soon to be born.
A slurpee cup was obtained and filled with some of the finest soil i could scrape off the closet walls.Three seeds were planted at three inches deep the fourth fell into the mix never to be seen again. After soaking the hydrophobic soil with around 3 gals of water all one could do now was wait for nature to take its course. After 7 days and 28 checkups TightyWhitey was born. With only 1 of 4 seeds germinating it definitely wasn't meant for novice growers. It was now time to place TW under the sun. Growing to over eight inches in 2 days TW definitely was showing signs of hybrid vigor and needed to be staked. A bic pen and some electrical tape seemed to straighten everthing up. With so much vigor TW obviously had a thirst for light. Moving TW 3 feet closer to sun the next day seemed to be just what it needed. The leaves started turn a slight goldeny color expressing the Acapulco Gold heritage of its lineage. Coming from the undie drawer of an old hippie of course this is what it had to be. The sun in Acapulco is intense so the the sun in the sub basement need to be intense. A 16" aluminum cone reflector was added and TW bathed in 20 watts per square inch of soft white incandescent brilliance. I closed the curtain not knowing it was the last time TW would be seen.

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
my best grow ever...

my best grow ever...

wasn't really all that great.
and in fact...it wasn't even MY grow! I was merely a consultant on this grow.
But the grow that gave me the most satisfaction is a friend of mine's first grow.
A good friend of mine who we'll call Persian Purple seemed like a good candidate to be a "convert" to the way of the grow.
PP and I have been good bud for a few years, have hooked each other up smoke constantly, and generally love to hang out and get blazed together.
I had been telling him for a while that he should check out some of the weed growing sites I like to frequent, mostly ICMAG.com and OG.
I had showed him a few of BOG's pics online, and he was drooling.
So I kept trying to motivate him to learn about it like I was and try some growing (evn though I didn't,...and still haven't let him know the full extent of my "hobbies".
In general, it didn't seem that my friend PP was that interested in learning about it, and wsn't really paying that much attention...or so I thought(actually, it was more that he had a lotta things going wrong in his life at the time that I didn't know about, and he just had to handle them.)
So Persian and I were smoking some surprisingly good pot we had gotten in one of those shady street deals, when he says "I think I'm going to hold a few o these beans" COOL! :yes:

A bit later, in early summer, he tells me he has a few of them started in an old can or something. When I first saw them, there were like 3 stringy seedlings too close together in a container that only held maybe 3 cups of soil. Hmmm. I believe 2 of them died, and he had 1 left in the container. It was underferted, rootbound like hell, and stratching pretty tall.
Later on, he planted it in his back yard.
Well lucky him, it turned out to be a female. So as the summer started winding down, his girl went into flowering. I gave him a couple gallons of mixed nutes in the hopes it would stack on the buds.
Being kinda new to it, he had a hard time judging how much nutes to use, etc. Had some nutrient issues, and possibly some PH issues. In general though, the plant could have used more direct sun in it's flowering cycle.
It was just so late in the year that the sun was weaker, the angle had changed and it now being partially shaded during the day by a tree.
In the end it turned out to be kind of a scragggly lookin plant, but hey... a plant through flowering on the first try aint bad...especially for someone who I didn't think was really into it.
One of the BIG pleasant surprises of this grow was that it got kind of cold one night, and most of the buds on it turned purple. many of the buds didn't look too good, but some of them were actually real pretty.
After the chop, he smoked some of the nicer nugs, but had a bit of trouble drying and curing.
He was pretty dissatisfied with the taste and the harshness of it, so One day he calls me up and asks "dude, can you show me how to turn this into hash?
CAN I?!?!?!?
Oh hell yeah.
So over to Purple's house I go with my dry sifting gear, and some gear for making BHO.
We sat there the entire afternoon turning these harsh purple bagseed buds into some nice dry sift hash and some real nice BHO.
Both were surprisingly potent, and we both got VERY blazed while preparing it all. At the end PP sent me home with at least a third of the hash just for helping him. What a guy! :yes:
It was clear at the end of that day that I had planted the seed in his mind. Now I just needed to wait for it to germ. It was clear that my bud had been enlisted in our green army.
Since then, Persian Purple's general life situation has been looking up. He recently moved into a much better place where he has more freedom to grow. Within weeks of being in there, he was tellin me he's been surfing the sites and learning a lot. He went out and got like 400 watts worth of flouros, both shoplights and CFLs, and started germing a BUNCH of the Lowryder/Masterkush seeds I gave him a year or so ago.
It's very clear that PP is now VERY much into it, and is really runnin with it. He's really going to be striving for self sufficiency now.
That's what makes his first grow...MY best grow ever. I'm just happy to have turned on another person to the kind of joy I personally receive from growing. I'm happy to have been able to help him out with some supplies, some beans, some knowledge. In general I feel so good for him that he's found so much joy in it. I'm very proud of my young cannabis apprentice.
We now have another person helping us all to overgrow the Earth. I believe the force is strong with this one. He will do well. It is my hope that in a while, he'll turn on another person....and so on, and so on, and so on.
We cannot be stopped, for we are a unified unstoppable green machine.
cook
and now for a few pics of Persian Purple's first grow. As a side note, I've seen pics of his second grow. He's doin much better! Next he'll get to look through my bean stash and see what he likes, and I belive I'll be passin him some G13 clones real soon.
cook- growing growers

I'm not sure if this contest is still open. I don't know, I've been kind of out of it the last couple weeks. But now that I'm back in the groove, I'm happy to pass on the tale of this grow, contest or no contest.

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

which of course is Spanish for MUCH GRASS. :bandit: :canabis:

Which is exactly what I wish for you Leeroy, my friend. :wave:

Yes, my fellow members...when you find that certain friend that you think has the potential, the interest, and the right time and place to grow (and of course most of all is a WELL trusted friend) nothing will give you more pleasure than turning on another person to growing, helping them get started, and hear them giggle like a school girl the first time their plant starts poppin those white hairs :yes:
not to mention adding one more to OUR SIDE of this silly misguided drug war.

cook

o henry-

i spoke with dutch and said she couldn't get around to judging that i could pick the winner and adjust the prize to compensate for the wait and damaging suspense.

and so without further adieu, I pick me as the winner and everyone should mail me any elite clones they may be clinging onto.

sorry, but that's the way the biscuit rolls.