What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to change seedling from soil to hydro ?

This might be a dumb question.

I have a few seedings in soil and they are in 1 gal pots, I want to change them over to hydro, they are about 4inchs tall. Can I cut the main stem and put this plant in cloner to root them or am I better off washing the dirt off roots. My clone is great a ( Oxy Cloner )and I always get 100 success rate.. How should I go about changing this plant to hydro.

Thank you

Faint

yerboyblue

The seedlings probably won't root, they aren't old enough to have the hormones built up to root successfully, or very quickly if they do.

I've washed the dirt off of the roots on rooted clones that I got from friends and put them in a hydro setup. It definitely took more time to recover and I may have lost a couple (it was awhile ago).

I would wait for the seedlings to get more established. 4 inches is very small it will be too easy to kill the plants if you do this to them.

A

ak-51

I would wash them off and then transfer into hydro.

I have washed coco off of a potted plant and put it into DWC before. It worked.

G

greenmatter

wash the roots ....... it is a lot less complicated than trying to clone and start over

medicalmj

Veteran
Like yerboy said make sure roots are well developed. Then affter you rinse all the dirt off do a bare root soak for 15 min in a vit B solution.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
This isn't too hard at all. Roots are stronger than you might think actually and getting most of the soil out of it is pretty simple. Only thing to keep an eye on is your water pump getting clogged due to the dirt etc that falls into your system.

I would switch out the rez a bit more at first until all the floaties are gone for good BUT keep an eye on your pump and nothing helps better than a filter sock to keep any gunk n junk out of it.

Thank you for advise, I will wait a bit longer and then wash root ball.
I don't want to loose these strains , I hear they are good ones,super silver haze, budda Tahoe, delahaze

Thanks again

New seed , there is no need , I will wash root ball. When they are old enough .they might be stressed a little bit, but they will recover

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
New seed , there is no need , I will wash root ball. When they are old enough .they might be stressed a little bit, but they will recover

Yep... just be gentle and make sure the medium is thoroughly saturated before you begin.

Done it at least a hundred times with a lot of different strains.... and back again. :D (Hydro to soil takes more care though. heh)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Obsidian

Veteran
don't pull or dig the plant out, remove the whole clump of dirt out of the pot and then place it in a container of water larger than the dirt, allow the dirt to dissolve fall off the roots with no force, this way the fine root hairs are not torn.
Have your new container half to three fourths full of grow medium ready for transplant, the new medium should drain well, place the plant within the new container and then fill with the grow medium and plant to the depth you wish. Now add lots of water so that the new medium is a slurry, this allows the medium to flow around the roots and fine hairs, hold the plant in place as the water drains, and settles around the plant. You may need to add more new medium to the plants new home, do it the same until you are satisfied and the plant stands and is supported as you want it to be. your done.
feed as necessary. I've done this with dozens and dozens of plants over the years, soil to soil, soil to soil-less. It works with no stress, at any age. cannabis is a very hardy plant.
any questions and I'll answer best as I can.

yerboyblue

I would wash them off and then transfer into hydro.

I have washed coco off of a potted plant and put it into DWC before. It worked.

Quoted you because your signature is amazing. And because I have washed off coco and put into aero. I killed a few, but that was well established, rooted clones. Not 4" seedlings much more supceptible to shock.