What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Composting question

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I usually save all my leaves and trim, and use for mulch or compost.

Last week I removed alot of leaves and undergrowth. Usually when I do this, I dry the leaves and store until needed.

This time I forgot about them, and the bottom of the bucket is a big clump of fury mold.

Is this safe to compost? I know that fungi is involved in composting but, could this be detrimental to my compost pile?

Will the heat of compost kill the bad mold?

What if the compost doesn't heat up properly?
I use the compost on plants, including me ganja, could this mold attack my growing cannabis?

Thanks for your time.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I usually save all my leaves and trim, and use for mulch or compost.

Last week I removed alot of leaves and undergrowth. Usually when I do this, I dry the leaves and store until needed.

This time I forgot about them, and the bottom of the bucket is a big clump of fury mold.

Is this safe to compost? I know that fungi is involved in composting but, could this be detrimental to my compost pile?

Will the heat of compost kill the bad mold?

What if the compost doesn't heat up properly?
I use the compost on plants, including me ganja, could this mold attack my growing cannabis?

Thanks for your time.
As I :) Since it is waste/garbage etc... IMHO I would dispose of it in the garbage vs the compost bin. I am fussy what I do with my girls.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mix that right into your compost. You just need the other microbes to balance everything.

h.h.

Veteran
I'm more concerned with leaching plastic.
I get lots of bagged leaves.
If I leave them in the bag, they break down quicker.
When I dig into an old pile of leaves,its the ones in the middle producing the leaf mold.

Just give it some air before using or throw it in the compost as MM said. Balance it out.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Great link. Thanks to all who responded.
I was thinking that the mold that attacks dead leaves wouldn't be same mold that attacks alive plants. But was not sure.

Rico Swazi

If you are maintaining the proper heat for the correct amount of time in your compost pile,
pathogens should be less of a worry.
I agree with the others to throw it all in there and let nature sort it out.
Regulations by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency specify that to achieve a significant reduction of pathogens during composting, the compost should be maintained at minimum operating conditions of 40°C for five days, with temperatures exceeding 55°C for at least four hours of this period. Most species of microorganisms cannot survive at temperatures above 60-65°C, so compost managers turn or aerate their systems to bring the temperature down if they begin to get this hot.
https://compost.css.cornell.edu/physics.html