What's new

Did I screw the pooch?

Hi guys,

So I've recently been setting up and gathering equipment for a grow that has been funded by a friend. My spaces are a 10x10 flower tent and a 8x8 veg tent. The lighting I ended up choosing and have since purchased for the flower room are, 4- 1000w double ended with adjustable wing reflectors. Ballasts are dimmable down to 600. The veg lighting is 4-315w CMH hydrofarm phantoms. Im happy with the veg tent, however I'm really concerned after reading more about the doubled ended bulbs with 7' high ceilings.

I've read a handful of forums saying yes it can be done with proper cooling, topping, and scrog net. keeping lights at 24" minimum.
I do have have proper cooling via a 24k btu mini split.

I've also read a handful of forums that say 1000w double ended with 7' ceilings is a no go. So like my post says did I screw the pooch? The lights are purchased already so those aren't going anywhere. Is this setup realistic? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I'm kind of freaking out a little now because he's invested 8K into this.

Dankwolf

Temps will be a issue for sure . even if you can keep temps down I am guessing you are going to have some crazy watering issues and super high humidity .

you will have to move lots of air and will in turn have lots of water loss due to evaporation .there for you will Likely have to keep you ppm / tds vary low due to the heavy amount of water that will be needed to keep up . moving that much are will,put a lot of demand on a.c. unit . unless you have a sealed room but then you will need a crazy big dehumidifier.

I think you could make it work with lights at 30 plus inches .

The only down fall I see is over head cost per gram . with that said math says it will work but experience says you over did it for your room specs . only one way to find out for sure and thats to run what you bought lol.

There are many factors that will help your set up work or fight you . so with out a book of info on other parts you have not mention there is no real way to know .
Good luck and welcome to icmag . lots of help if you ask the right question . :tiphat:

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate the input. To elaborate yes the room is sealed and will be running C02, also have a 70 pint continuous drain dehumidifier . I know a 70 pint isn't heavy duty but I'm hoping in conjunction with 24k but mini split it will do ok. I have more oscillating fans than I could possibly need so I have the air movement covered. So I have another question. Say at 100 percent ballast power I'm having issues and its not working out, could I dial the ballast down to 750w or 600w and still expect somewhat of a decent yield. I'm using Canna nutrients and was going to start with the light feeding schedule. Thanks again for any input!

Dankwolf

Thanks I appreciate the input. To elaborate yes the room is sealed and will be running C02, also have a 70 pint continuous drain dehumidifier . I know a 70 pint isn't heavy duty but I'm hoping in conjunction with 24k but mini split it will do ok. I have more oscillating fans than I could possibly need so I have the air movement covered. So I have another question. Say at 100 percent ballast power I'm having issues and its not working out, could I dial the ballast down to 750w or 600w and still expect somewhat of a decent yield. I'm using Canna nutrients and was going to start with the light feeding schedule. Thanks again for any input!

I would dial down first run no matter what . then slowly up the lights . say start at 700 or so then dial up . something to note after 7 weeks with a 9 week strian there is no benefit of full on lights any way . so I would also dial back down at the 6 -7 week mark if your running a 9 week,strain . if you keep lights at full power it will Lilly cause foxtailing (strian dependent ):tiphat:

Run it document it so all can learn . sealed room you should be able to pull off some nice girls .

Are you running hydro,dwc,soil soiless ?

Thanks Dankwolf,

yes I'm for sure going to have to play with the lights before I get it dialed in. Im going to try and keep them as bushy and trained as I can before I flip the lights.

and yes I'm going to be taking a lot of notes. Im going with coco btw in 5 gal rain science pots, and hand watering (pumping from nute res to watering wand)

The clones I have are GMO, and Stardawg(Corey cut) which are both Indica dominant hybrids 9-10 week flower times

Chemdawggy Dawg

You won't be able to grow gmo with 7 ft ceilings unless you bloom them very small. The stardog is a shorter plant the gmo gets extremely tall so you won't want to try and bloom them both at the same time. If it was me I would try and get a bunch of stardog clones and just do that. It will be much better suited to your height limitations.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
With limited indoor growing experience I'm unsure what will give the best return on your investment on paper regarding co2, dehumidifier, air conditioner, and a sealed room. Running a sealed room isn't necessary. Fresh air intake can come from under the house/crawlspace or a window and the upper vents of the grow tents exhausted outside. I don't know if things like smell or heat signature are a concern but running an exhaust fan costs less than climate control. Put another way about 1/2 the budget and less operating cost, but yield or quality difference I don't know. Utilizing or working with your natural climate is slightly different from using so much electronic equipment. In my area I think one kilowatt hour costs around $0.30-0.50. 4 lights * 12 hrs * 90 day flowering cycle is $1200-2200 for the lights alone. You may recoup costs with extra on the first grow or second.

Last edited:
Ok great thanks for the advice. I figured since it was indica mostly that it would stay bushy. Yeah maybe ill do all go though. GMO Cookies is a chemdogXGSC. gmo=garlic,mushroom,onion. lol hope its not actually a onion smell though

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Oh man! Your first problem is using old technology lighting in the new dawn of 21st century. Look at LED lighting. It is VASTLY superior to energy gobbling bulbs with "hot spots" throwing off heat as a motherfucker. You do not have to pay a lot for them. I am using $99 out of the box bright white light LED's I bought from Home Depot. Fantastic is all I can say!!!! Try it, you'll like it!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Oh man! Your first problem is using old technology lighting in the new dawn of 21st century. Look at LED lighting. It is VASTLY superior to energy gobbling bulbs with "hot spots" throwing off heat as a motherfucker. You do not have to pay a lot for them. I am using $99 out of the box bright white light LED's I bought from Home Depot. Fantastic is all I can say!!!! Try it, you'll like it!
A contradiction right there. They might be alright for veging, but I wouldn't use them for growing!