What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone veg with LED and bloom with HPS?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I got a California Lightworks SolarStorm for veg a while back. At first the plants didn't like the change from 250 hps to 165 LED (actual draw). But then they really took off and it's the best veg light I've had.

Then I harvested and moved everything from veg to bloom chamber with a air cooled 600 hps.

Most of the plants look horrible. Clawed up bad.

So I guess I should make the switch from hps to led?

Maybe on the next go around I can try to "harden off" plants a few hours at a time?

Gonna start looking for a new bloom light

Nifty_PoT

I veg with LED and flower HPS and they do great , try to keep your light as high as possible when making the switch for about a week and gradually lower it as they adjust to the more intense light. If they clawed up it may be some other problems like over watering if i had to guess, hard to say without pictures.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I veg with LED and flower HPS and they do great , try to keep your light as high as possible when making the switch for about a week and gradually lower it as they adjust to the more intense light. If they clawed up it may be some other problems like over watering if i had to guess, hard to say without pictures.

Thanks for your input.
Lights come on around 8pm EST. I'll try get some pics.

maraudeur

Hydro or soil? I noticed some posters find their plants needing more nutrients with LED.

Possibly, HPS induce more transpiration, which may help pulling water and nutes faster where it's needed. That's my only theory here, something to do with vapor pressure deficit.. worth looking at perhaps.

I, as the amateur I am, vegged three autos under cheap LED strips just now, my plants have no problems with the warm HPS tent, but I'm doing soil and nutrient free (up until now)

Are you doing SOG? Maybe try it fewer plants -> more healthy root system to absorb this LID (Lighting-induced Discomfort).

I just made that abbreviation up :biggrin:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hydro or soil? I noticed some posters find their plants needing more nutrients with LED.

Possibly, HPS induce more transpiration, which may help pulling water and nutes faster where it's needed. That's my only theory here, something to do with vapor pressure deficit.. worth looking at perhaps.

I, as the amateur I am, vegged three autos under cheap LED strips just now, my plants have no problems with the warm HPS tent, but I'm doing soil and nutrient free (up until now)

Are you doing SOG? Maybe try it fewer plants -> more healthy root system to absorb this LID (Lighting-induced Discomfort).

I just made that abbreviation up :biggrin:
One or two in organic soil mix, and 4 or so in Coco mix. (FF Salamander Soil)
I checked this morning and they seem to be getting better slowly. I took a picture before I left, but at lunch when I went to upload to my album, the pic didn't save.

I'm glad they are starting to get better, but I'm sure this will fuck up final harvest.
They were doing so good in veg under the California Lightworks LED.

I'll get a pic tonight, so I can get more specific input.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Also, it seemed like they stopped transpiring when stuck in 600 HPS bloom. The soil stayed wet longer, and I couldn't feed.

dddaver

Veteran
I'm just a small hobbyist grower. My cab is only 33" tall. But I've done that for years. Using various LED setups. I've tried UFOs and bought some expensive LED lights but right now just have a bunch of Walmart screw in LEDs with the globes cut off on a bunch of splitters. Works great. Started like 12 years ago using CFLs. But I've always flowered with a little 150W HPS . Mine setup is micro so your mileage may vary.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Plants are getting better, some are still clawed but nowhere near as bad.
Here is pics
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

But now there is a new problem:
picture.php
picture.php

They should dry enough to feed tomorrow night. Not sure how to go about this.

Rodehazrd

I had similar and was low K
I hit with some koolbloom liquid 0-10-10 and she quit doing that.
Of course so many deficiencies look similar to me. Maybe a more trained eye will chime in. Good luck to you :tiphat:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
my guess is that theyre having transpiration issues, they were probably doing ok before you put the demand on them under 600w making them transpire more and them finally not being able to do it and closing the stomata as a last resort at survival ... i'm still learning but this looks like my garden last winter. My problem at that time (I think) was getting them fresh air and still keeping temps in range... they werent getting enough good air and I had them under way too much light for what they were capable of basically due to poor VPD, high temps low humidity and lack of proper air exchanges

Whats your conditions like? Can you control canopy temperature?

Try keeping the light off them somewhat and in the meantime get as close to the VPD chart as possible by either lowering the temp or raising the humidity

Latest posts

Latest posts