What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

flushing coco for taste

R

Rab.C

Sup icmag i am a new grower and interested in how do you flush
nutrients out of your coco for improved taste.i was thinking 10 day flush.but do i reduce Ec over the 10 days or do i flush with plain water for 10 days or use a product too flush like gh ripen then plain water or terpinator. any ideas would be great.i am using nills nutrients they recommend 7 day flush plain water

thanks Rab

CoCo_LoCo

I just flush straight ph'd water for 7 to 10 days. My tap water is around 0.25 EC.

Ive been flushing for 6 days now.

prPDTTE.jpg

HTysLRi.jpg

nutrients out of your coco for improved taste.i was thinking 10 day flush.but do i reduce Ec over the 10 days or do i flush with plain water for 10 days or use a product too flush like gh ripen then plain water or terpinator. any ideas would be great.i am using nills nutrients they recommend 7 day flush plain water

thanks Rab

Flushing with additives is just a complete bs..
I tried flushing for two weeks and ended up with the same 5-6 days result..

COCO LOCO my friend Correcting PH while flushing plain water is making no sense as there is no nutrient uptake.

P.S
Correctly Curing for two weeks after buds dried correctly will def make a change in taste&smell to a coco multifeed harvest.

Don't use Terpinator. It's garbage. Don't use any of those flavour enhancers either. Just add some black strap molasses.

Flush for 10-12 days imo. And there's no real consensus on whether to ph the water or not. Personally, I don't bother.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Don't use Terpinator. It's garbage. Don't use any of those flavour enhancers either. Just add some black strap molasses.

Flush for 10-12 days imo. And there's no real consensus on whether to ph the water or not. Personally, I don't bother.

how much black strap molasses u feed?

Black strap molasses in a coco setup? really? what microbes do you intend on feeding? lol..:tumbleweed: IF youre not running organic soil setup stick to using it with pancakes..

Drewsif

Why molasses, why not table sugar of fruit juice. What does feeding the microbes do when you haven't been feeding for a week?

Molasses still provides micros regardless of media, and after weeks of being warm, moist and full of nutrients; how sterile do you really think it is? Many of the benifcial are ubiquitous in the environment and readerly colonise coco. It’s the same principle as biological filitration in aquariums.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I feel that plain water just finishes them off. As in kills them. Certain processes require food, and I want the plants to keep going, in order to use up what is available within them. This leads me to reducing the food, but not even by half. Also I reuse my coco, so don't wish to strip any of the cations in an odd ratio. Or I will have that thing that they used, missing when I'm back in grow. Replaced by something else to a great extent.

If the root zone is like ec2.5 then it's going to taste bad no matter how much you flush. It was ruined beyond recovery during flower. Many people fry the white hairs brown with over feeding, and that is that. If you kept below ec2 you should be still in the game. Chopping at 1.6 will taste bad. 1.2 is detectable. ec1 and the cure will leave it as you want it. It very much feed dependent though. Some lean heavily on ammonium nitrates, and never taste right. It's a taste so common, people think it's part of weeds flavour. CoCo can also be the basis of an organic crop though, where people don't care if they can taste it.

No simple answer really, but I would say aim 0.8-1.0 and watch the run-off to see that it's working

Applesauce

Black strap molasses in a coco setup? really? what microbes do you intend on feeding? lol..:tumbleweed: IF youre not running organic soil setup stick to using it with pancakes..

What are you going on about? Of course there can be microbes in a "non organic" coco grow. Molasses is feed for beneficials in coco. Even if you're dumping chlorine from a dead rez into coco, the coco being organic will neutralize the chlorine. Not that there will be much chlorine left in a "dead rez" containing base nutes.

To the question at hand - I never flush coco with plain water. I reduce base solution to 1/8 to maintain exchange ratios, adding molasses and 1mL/gal drip clean if you desire for a week or two. Works superbly. FYI OP ultraclear SST + photosynthesis plus is a great, cheap combo with molasses in coco.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
What are you going on about? Of course there can be microbes in a "non organic" coco grow. Molasses is feed for beneficials in coco. Even if you're dumping chlorine from a dead rez into coco, the coco being organic will neutralize the chlorine. Not that there will be much chlorine left in a "dead rez" containing base nutes.

To the question at hand - I never flush coco with plain water. I reduce base solution to 1/8 to maintain exchange ratios, adding molasses and 1mL/gal drip clean if you desire for a week or two. Works superbly. FYI OP ultraclear SST + photosynthesis plus is a great, cheap combo with molasses in coco.

Why do you add drip clean when flushing?

OP

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

thanks Rab

10 days seems to be the consensus. If plants are ready to be harvested, 2 weeks max? I like the idea of the molasses supplementation.

Have smoked enough chemically laden (synthetic nutrients) over the years....has an off putting metal or displeasing taste.

Switched to organics more than a decade ago mainly because I don't know what left over synthetic nutrients do at a cellular level in the body. Taste is like it should be!!

Good luck, Rab!

Latest posts

Latest posts