What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proof of tobacco companies coming into the game

cryptop

Sorry if this is too related to the Philip Morris thread.

I fully believe that RJ Reynolds/Philip Morris/Altria as a whole is coming into the cannabis industry. Their domestic (US) sales have been falling for a time now and it would be stupid for them not to get into the industry.

However, I have seen zero proof of them going into any markets. I've heard a ton of hearsay ("RJ Reynolds offered me cash to buy my farm" , "I saw a Philip Morris GH going up in Oregon") but haven't seen mere pictures, or any secondary confirmations of this. At least in California lots of people are saying they've been offered to be bought out, but it's in the context of bragging so I'm a bit skeptical of that. I looked on the jobs board for some of the companies and see lots of tobacco vape liquid jobs, but nothing remotely concerning cannabis.

So--are they just merely acquiring companies and not rebranding to avoid scrutiny, are they buying up land/businesses and just waiting for interstate commerce, etc?

I would guess Colorado will be the first state they directly enter the market as Denver is coincidentally a popular test market for tobacco, but otherwise I have no reason to believe anything else.

Thoughts?

Drewsif

There are no late comers with fat pockets.

If they are in it, they sponsored mmj. See who sponsored mmj programs (specifically those with vanishing grow rights). Marlboro isn't going to wait and see what quality levels they can get away with, no, the state's been selling them that info for years. Mmj = "How to market trash" research program for corporate entities.

And High Times Magazine is now a business rag. Replaced grass roots cups with corporate conventions. Everyone with money is already behind the scenes... They all hold hands as they circle you.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
HighTimes aka Hype Times hasn't been worth reading in the last decade. Unfortunately...
Printed magazines are going by the way side. There is much more and better information here at the Mag !
Peace

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sorry if this is too related to the Philip Morris thread.

I fully believe that RJ Reynolds/Philip Morris/Altria as a whole is coming into the cannabis industry. Their domestic (US) sales have been falling for a time now and it would be stupid for them not to get into the industry.

However, I have seen zero proof of them going into any markets. I've heard a ton of hearsay ("RJ Reynolds offered me cash to buy my farm" , "I saw a Philip Morris GH going up in Oregon") but haven't seen mere pictures, or any secondary confirmations of this. At least in California lots of people are saying they've been offered to be bought out, but it's in the context of bragging so I'm a bit skeptical of that. I looked on the jobs board for some of the companies and see lots of tobacco vape liquid jobs, but nothing remotely concerning cannabis.

So--are they just merely acquiring companies and not rebranding to avoid scrutiny, are they buying up land/businesses and just waiting for interstate commerce, etc?

I would guess Colorado will be the first state they directly enter the market as Denver is coincidentally a popular test market for tobacco, but otherwise I have no reason to believe anything else.

Thoughts?

They wouldn't be the 1st company run by old families to go tits up because they can't get their head around the corner.

Case in Point?

1. Sears.
They had a mail order catalog business for a couple hundred(?) years and are now kaputsky. They had a gargantuan lead on Amazon. Fuck on everyone, and they continued to focus on bricks and mortar.

2. ALL Travel Agents and shops.
Look out... Expedia scoops them all up. lol

3. ALL Hotel Chains.
Airbnb sticking it to the big guys.

4. Uber
Kickin' the taxi industry in the balls.

5. EBGames and all the other game stores
Yo Steam.... Buddy!

6. Blockbuster et all
Netflix et all

7. Walmart and the other big box dinosaurs
Wayfair, Amazon, ebay, ....

8. Burpee
Fuck these guys are idiots. They could have been selling pot seeds forever @$10/seed. instead they're still selling 70 carrot seeds for $1.25

I mean.... we could go on and on. Everyone a huge leader blind to the train coming their way.

Cigarette companies better move their asses. They should have been at the forefront for packaged prerolls and buds. But I suspect that train has left the station.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
All the big tobbacco players have been part of the game longer than anyone can imagine ..they also own all the pharmaceutical companies and have had the cures for cancer for decades ..why bother giving the cure when they can profit from the drugs ...politicians basically own everything ..all the tobbacco companies are owned by the ruling elite families ...they would have changed laws to suit their shares ...

We are mere pawns in their money game ..the change in cannabis laws is saving them from creating ww3 ...once they've earned enough off the cannabis industry they will start the war ..

The minions protesting for decades for cannabis reform achieved fuck all ...nothing was ever going to change till the elite were ready to play a new game ....

Its all a game to them ...they make the laws ..make billions ..we get fucked over

Gotta love it ain't ya :)

clearheaded

they have infact purchased chunks of LPs here in canada. They def wont do anything in illegal america, that is false.... canada is setting shit up to blow across the world 1 by one hense why 10 dollar stock is 120... wether or not that happens yet to be seen since none have cracked any code other then shwag for to much money which sorta flys now but they are too focused on going BIG and not focusing on getting it RIGHT first and dont have to at this point as get money thrown at them. When they purchase those rediculous "northern light home grow metal box" company gives a glimpse into the knowledge.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
they have infact purchased chunks of LPs here in canada. They def wont do anything in illegal america, that is false.... canada is setting shit up to blow across the world 1 by one hense why 10 dollar stock is 120... wether or not that happens yet to be seen since none have cracked any code other then shwag for to much money which sorta flys now but they are too focused on going BIG and not focusing on getting it RIGHT first and dont have to at this point as get money thrown at them. When they purchase those rediculous "northern light home grow metal box" company gives a glimpse into the knowledge.

US companies definitely are NOT buying LP stock. That would be financing illegal drug trade. That's the same reason US border agents would turn you away for life.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No surprise there that BIG Tobacconists (like Big Pharma) are alive and well and have $$$$$ to spend. CBD cigarettes in the immediate future. Yup.
Already numerous micro breweries are touting CBD beer.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
While we have been posting in this and other forums GW Pharma has been busy Grabbing all the patents up. Google GW Pharma patient's...

Good luck with phylos galaxy

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Just continue your secret underground grows. The really big growers have to use chemicals on their grows. There is no getting around it. I really enjoy my growing efforts. I stay high all day. It is a life long dream of mine ever since I was in grade school. They used to show us movies of the other side of the world. I was particularly interested in how the dudes smoking pot and opium all day in the dens did it. I said to myself, that is what I want to do! I have achieved my life long dream.

clearheaded

US companies definitely are NOT buying LP stock. That would be financing illegal drug trade. That's the same reason US border agents would turn you away for life.

yup they are.. just like people in states buy stock on tsx... yes some people have gotten turned away in early days however its philip morris lol and corona beer.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...an-weed-get-ready-for-cannabis-beer-1.4789545

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork...ris-parent-invests-2-4-billion-in-cronos.html

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
yup they are.. just like people in states buy stock on tsx... yes some people have gotten turned away in early days however its philip morris lol and corona beer.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...an-weed-get-ready-for-cannabis-beer-1.4789545

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork...ris-parent-invests-2-4-billion-in-cronos.html

Ah... that just happened in December! If they're doing it, then my prediction that legalization will see light in the next election moves up. Now I think Trump might do this before the next election.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Trump must absolutely do it before the next election. Cannabis is a giant election tool and Trump is not going to let an opponent say, "If elected, I will lift the federal ban on Cannabis". That would take too many vote away and he 'ain't gonna let it happen'.

We will see the federal ban lifted before any opponent can use it. e.g. BEFORE any election.

Latest posts

Latest posts