What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Designing my new CFL micro-SoG

psyphish

Veteran
How about some E27 Par38 LED spots? All the light goes down towards the plants and none of it is wasted on the sides. You could use less wattage and still yield more, less watts less heat. Or maybe some COB LEDs, you can have them pretty close to the plants.

I am definitely open to playing with the lighting, maybe I'll give those E27 Par38 LED spots a run after I try both of these CFL setups, I just wanna play with several configurations until I get to what I feel is the most ideal...

This is what I'm finding 30W Par38 at 1868 lumens for a very expensive bulb, I can get 200 lumens from the same wattage of CFLs.

So $100 for 1800 lumen or a 42w CFL (I did the math, let me save you some time, 42W CFL are the most efficient for $ and lumens per watt.) that puts out 2800 lumen for $10. Seems pretty obvious to me. But I've also never used a LED bulb to grow. Plenty of experience with CFL, it's all I used until very recently.

I used (8) 42W CFL in the reflector in my gallery. When I used a photon meter, it was obvious that HID bulbs are much brighter from a farther distance, but the tradeoff is heat. I used to keep that reflector that I speak of, about 4 inches from the top of the canopy with no issues. What kind of lumen loss do you get with LED's? For example, if I was getting 100% lumen at 4 inches as a base, I was getting 75 percent at 7 inches. That little distance makes a HUGE difference with CFL's. Keep that in mind, because unless you SCROG, CFL's are kind of useless in a reflector.

psyphish

Veteran
Lumens are for human eyes, and most of them is thrown to the sides when you use CFLs, they're great for lighting up your living room, but I'd rather have 2500 lumens shot directly at the plant than a small part of the 2800 lumens.

This was grown in my microbox, it flowered under one 25w eBay LED spot. I don't think it actually uses 25 watts, probably closer to 15w. I also added an 18w Philips LED bulb mid flower, it's meant for lighting strawberries and such, I've tried using it solo, but nothing grew under it.

Okay so since CFLs throw light to the side you would lose like 40-60% of the lumens that are only indirectly lighting the plants...however the LED spots are directly lighting nearly all lumens toward the plants...that makes sense, it's worth experimenting with, my only concern is how expensive the lightbulbs seem to be.

psyphish

Veteran
Okay so since CFLs throw light to the side you would lose like 40-60% of the lumens that are only indirectly lighting the plants...however the LED spots are directly lighting nearly all lumens toward the plants...that makes sense, it's worth experimenting with, my only concern is how expensive the lightbulbs seem to be.

Yeah they might work better in a micro grow situation. I paid about 15 euros per light when they were on sale. Maybe T5 or PL-L lights? They'd be more affordable and you'd still be using fluorescents while covering more surface area.

So, it's been almost 4 years and I never followed thru with this design scheme, and I feel horrible about it...no really, I actually feel bad about not bringing this design to life...so I would like to with your help.

i've contended that the best way to pull this off would be to make interchangeable lids with different lighting schemes, so I could run each of them with the same exact strains and further be able to dial in the factors by recording as much info as possible along the way.

So, my real reason for reviving this thread is a specific set of questions. What, specifically, (as in the actual products w/ links if possible) lights, be they CFLs, T5s, E27 Par38s, COB LEDs or something I haven't considered would you run in this setup, keeping in mind that my budget is limited (and I may be running several different lighting schemes) and this is a micro grow so space is limited and heat is difficult to control.

Btw, I will be able to keep the surrounding room (of intake air) at 70°F± and around 50%± relative humidity, so that will make things easier to manage, as well.

Thanks in advance guys, I have so much love for you.

Last edited: