What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 way liming mix

bigshrimp

Veteran
Does anyone have the recipe for cc's liming mix, i saw it somewhere but i have no idea where to find it.

What is the current thinking on this, does anyone use this or do you all use straight dolomite lime?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
This is CC's 3-way lime mix based off Steve Soloman's 3-way lime mix.

1 part powdered dolomite
1 part agricultural gypsum
2 parts powdered oyster shell

1 to 2 tablespoons lime mix per gallon of peat moss...NOT soil mix. Or 1 cup per cubic foot of peat moss.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
had to dig this thread up to remind myself of the ratio, i lost one of my soil recipe notebooks in a recent move....
im adding azomite into the mix at less than .5 part, simply because i have it around

Dab Strudel

had to dig this thread up to remind myself of the ratio, i lost one of my soil recipe notebooks in a recent move....
im adding azomite into the mix at less than .5 part, simply because i have it around

I feel that brother, both of my notebooks got displaced recently. Im backing everything up on a thumb drive here on out :woohoo:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
fyi the updated mineral mix is

per 1 cubic foot base mix add:

1 cup oyster shell powder
1 cup gypsum
1 cup basalt rock dust
1 cup glacial rock dust

azomite should make a good 1:1 replacement for the glacial rock dust.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran

1 cup gypsum
1 cup basalt rock dust
1 cup glacial rock dust

so... heady
are we talking per 1 cu foot of base mix (meaning peat, compost AND aeration material like perlite or ricehulls) OR are we talking about per 1 cu foot of PEAT?
i was under the impression that the PEAT needed to be limed and the liming mix was simply to treat the peat, but not neccessary to treat perlite and compost parts of base mix.
the difference is.... large if you are using 1:1:1 peat:compost:aeration material.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
you're right it's the peat that needs to be pH buffered.

but the ratios above are for use per cubic foot of base mix.

good idea to clarify!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

1 cup gypsum
1 cup basalt rock dust
1 cup glacial rock dust

Rock dusts are mostly neutral, no?

Have you used this mix at that rate?

At least we aren't trying to lime with crab shell. Those poor fools on GC.

MrBungle

something pH neutral would raise the pH of something acidic.. or am I wrong?

Ratzilla

Veteran

In my opinion its the calcium that raises the acidic nature of some mixes especially peat base mix'es.
Being crab shell is 24% calcium of course it will have a liming affect.
Ratz :tiphat:

When I see ph. neutral I think it does nothing to influence the ph. of whatever mix.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my opinion its the calcium that raises the ph.
Being crab shell is 24% calcium of course it will have a liming affect.

A liming effect from the calcium carbonate. Elemental calcium, nein. Think gypsum again.

To use as a sole source is just hilarballs.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran

i've used that mix or a mix very much like it, using NO dolomite lime and only gypsum, oystershell meal, azomite, basalt, and local sand as minerals/ liming agents.
haven't had problems,
only problem is remembering the specifics when it's time to mix more.

Ratzilla

Veteran
While using crab shell and in knowing it brings much calcium to the mix its true I don't think of that amount of calcium carbonate as a liming agent but still take in that it is there.
I am a organic peep that thinks that soils balancing goes far in growing our favorite and when it comes to balancing a mix out I see calcium as the most needed element.
I am a big fan of Michael Astera of "soil minerals" who advocates that calcium should make up 65-70% of the base mix, with both calcium and mag. making up to 80%m of the base saturation rate.
Back in the day Dolomitic lime was the main supplier of buffering peat base low ph.
My use of dolomite is but 1/3 of what it used to be with oyster shell as my main input of calcium and ph. buffering I also have taken to using Gypsum a calcium sulfate.
With the sulfate salt in gypsum is a neutral salt the calcium still has some ph. buffering capabilities.
I also opine when getting a mixes base saturation ratios anywhere close to 65-70% calcium, 10-15% magnesium with K between 3-5% the ph. of the mix will self stabilize between 6.2-6.4 what I consider the sweet spot.
I like to use the analogy of cooks in the kitchen when thinking of all the roads to success to being a understanding care giver of our favorite plant.
While having many different recipes to serving up some tasty treats.
Your pal

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i add 1/2 cup of crustacean meal (mixed crab and shrimp) per cu ft also... just don't consider that part of the "liming mix" and more of an "amendment"
my2cents

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i've used that mix or a mix very much like it, using NO dolomite lime and only gypsum, oystershell meal, azomite, basalt, and local sand as minerals/ liming agents.
haven't had problems,
only problem is remembering the specifics when it's time to mix more.

same experience here oyster grd and greensand as the local

so far so good

Bush Doctah

Sorry to beat this liming thing to death, but Burn1 burned this issue into my head... for which I thank him of course!
So, Gas said you lime only the peat, but the consensus now is that you lime the base mix as a whole. Does this mean that the "excess" oyster shell flour doesn't "over-lime" the mix raising the pH too far but rather simply adds calcium to the mix? This, obviously, is a good thing and would explain why both approaches work, but suggests that liming the base mix would be the better option.

Has anyone tested the pHs of these two approaches?

Thanks for any thoughts.
BD