What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP..Wasted 25g of cannabis on my first try of cannabutter

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I don't think you need to make another step out of decarboxylating the weed. You will know know then the extract is potent and decarb has happened if you look at the weed simmering after 2-4 hours it will get a mushy look and change color. You should simmer it for at least that long. I go for 5-8 hours in total with great results. Always with water under the butter, in the same pot.

last go around i used 75grams of 'frozen' popcorn, 2 sticks (8oz) of butter, water in a crock pot on low for 8hrs- drained it thru a spaghetti strainer , poured add hot water on the 'puck' to get as much butter out as possible.. then into fridge overnite, drained the dirty water, poured clean hot water on it stirred, back into fridge - did that '3' times till water was clear.
the result.. came out with 97grams, bit less the 3.5oz's , so lost over 50%, n the butter was weak...

could it be because i used frozen popcorn???

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Was it 80% fat butter or lower? I never have lost more than about a quater of the butter mass during infusion. But with less fat that loss would be explained pretty easy. Also, a powerful hit for me is the equivalent of about 2 grams of weed (average potency, not the most tricome covered parts) in a portion. so yours should not have been weak. You either used too much heat or the popcorn wasn;t at all powerful. Frozen material should not change the potency in an observable way.
You should find out how you lost that butter and potency, maybe tell us more on what you used and exacly what you did? even trim butter should be marginally powerful if you use enaugh.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Was it 80% fat butter or lower? I never have lost more than about a quater of the butter mass during infusion. But with less fat that loss would be explained pretty easy. Also, a powerful hit for me is the equivalent of about 2 grams of weed (average potency, not the most tricome covered parts) in a portion. so yours should not have been weak. You either used too much heat or the popcorn wasn;t at all powerful. Frozen material should not change the potency in an observable way.
You should find out how you lost that butter and potency, maybe tell us more on what you used and exacly what you did? even trim butter should be marginally powerful if you use enaugh.

not sure of the fat content... it was land of lakes unsalted butter , common here in the usa which we use all the time ... what we did was take the frozen canna butter and with a razor cut 1.5gram pieces, and inserted it into each cookie.. and baked em for 8-10mins at 325f

the weed top buds is very good (sd kush) , so even if the popcorn is a bit weaker , using so much popcorn should provide reasonably strong cookies- as said cooked in crock pot for 8hrs on low...

my buddy ate '2' cookies (3grams of canna butter total), and fely nothing- granted he eats em all the time, but he should have caught some buzz...

what we didnt add was lecithin (we normally do)- but thats more for absorption then the buzz (i think)

plan on making more this week , but dont want a repeat of weak cookies...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Don't use butter use Ghee.
Ghee = clarified butter that has the milk solids removed and is stable at high room temps for months.
Easy to buy or make. If you make it use unsalted butter to make the Ghee....

-SamS

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Don't use butter use Ghee.
Ghee = clarified butter that has the milk solids removed and is stable at high room temps for months.
Easy to buy or make. If you make it use unsalted butter to make the Ghee....-SamS

ok sam... got 10oz of ghee, non gmo... if i take one oz of nice top bud, how many oz's of ghee???

with regular butter most say 1oz of bud to 1 stick (4oz of unsalted butter)..thanks

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I followed the instructions of Terpine in his post here in IC for "Stupid Potent Butter with Minimal Trim. I used bud, ground it, decarbed it, only changed off the dirty water once, and used a crock pot. OOPS, I got it way too strong. I guess that problem is OK though.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I followed the instructions of Terpine in his post here in IC for "Stupid Potent Butter with Minimal Trim. I used bud, ground it, decarbed it, only changed off the dirty water once, and used a crock pot. OOPS, I got it way too strong. I guess that problem is OK though.

yeah thats the receipe i used the 1st time i made canna butter, and i was F U C K E D ... the 1st time i ate a cookie- ofcourse i used 1oz or top bud... plus added 2 large buds, and some kif i had lying around.. but the last few batches have not been strong at all... maybe it because i havent been adding cinnamon.... tho doubt that could be it