What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plee for your health

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Yes, you could probably blind yourself with cfl's... but it would be funny. You goto the doctor and he asks, why do you think your vision has degraded so rapidly? You answer, cause I grow weed with 2000w of CFL's.
Actually... it's not funny and you can do it with a 23w bulb.

You forget that most CFL grows are micro... meaning small spaces. What's the best way to see what you're doing when you have your head crammed in your box? Why, turn on those CFL's a few inches from your head.... they're just CFL's... right?

Unless you have 3 foot arms... I'd suggest putting an incandescent or other non-uv throwing light in your cab when working in there. I can tell you I've experienced vision issues after only a month, working up close with CFLs and I'll not take that kind of issue lightly.

Stay Safe! :tree:

Edit: Or.... you can say I'm imagining things and take your own chances. Just saying.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Yep cfls are definitely worse than hps.

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed that. I just assumed HID's were higher output of lumens, so they would be more intense on the eyes. Makes sense though that you're working closer to the CFL though; square inverse laws says the closer you are to something, the more intense it is.

full time daddy
Veteran
good stuff celsius...... i allways put my shade's on all so do long arm'd shirt's just cuz.....

i call 1st sticky in the vert fourm..... this is important how can we help are health if we are just hurting it

SuperConductor

Veteran
Huh, I wouldn't have guessed that. I just assumed HID's were higher output of lumens, so they would be more intense on the eyes. Makes sense though that you're working closer to the CFL though; square inverse laws says the closer you are to something, the more intense it is.

That's prbably what it is yeah, when I'm that close (arms length) to HID I wouldn't be able to look at the bulb but with CFLs it's not so bright so you don't get the instinctive feeling you need to look away.

I was talking HPS tho which don't give off UV and both MH and daylight CFLs do don't they? I caught a glimpse (just half a second) of my 110w cuttings lamp today and it was an instant headache starter, very unpleasant. I definitely think there's a cumulative damage effect as this never used to be a problem.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
That's prbably what it is yeah, when I'm that close (arms length) to HID I wouldn't be able to look at the bulb but with CFLs it's not so bright so you don't get the instinctive feeling you need to look away.

I was talking HPS tho which don't give off UV and both MH and daylight CFLs do don't they? I caught a glimpse (just half a second) of my 110w cuttings lamp today and it was an instant headache starter, very unpleasant. I definitely think there's a cumulative damage effect as this never used to be a problem.

Yes Metal halides do put off harmful UV. Even burnt out MH's with power still going to them can put off UV; this has caused several people to have severe eye damage in commercial lighting. I don't knkow about CFL's.

I agree, it is cumulative. Most people are okay with it at first, but overtime, we all start to have problems.

hazy

Veteran
AB~ you got that right^^ Flashburn on your eyes is enough to make you cry.^^

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes Metal halides do put off harmful UV. Even burnt out MH's with power still going to them can put off UV; this has caused several people to have severe eye damage in commercial lighting. I don't knkow about CFL's.

I agree, it is cumulative. Most people are okay with it at first, but overtime, we all start to have problems.

Thankyou so much for the timely warning Mr C, I had noticed my eyes being a bit funny after my move back indoors and playing with Vert. Another ICer was talking to me about their "Growroom dark glasses" and I stupidly thought they were messing about.....

RE MH lamps, most or all commercial MH enclosures run the Halide bulb behind a sheet of glass, if your bulb cracks, it can give off very harmful UV rays that are screened by the glass. If there is no glass there, your skin gets it and if I remember my Ed Rosenthal right, that is very bad news.

I had not noticed that V&CG had no mod, it seems to be growing very rapidly and has a very good basic vibe, a lot of people learning and sharing info, long may that continue.

Expat

My cooltube came with a half-round reflector that I ditched when I went vertical. I now use it to block the light while in the room. I hang it in place, do my thing then remove it. A hat helps as well but after hearing your thoughts Mr C, I'm adding sunnies to my kit as well.

beejium

WELDERS USE A HELMET, FLASHBURN IS NO JOKE :joint:

ArcticBlast

the shield just keeps the sparks and some uv away from the face. the lens is what protects the eyes. you can get: shade 1-10 glasses, just like you can with goggles, or in a speed mask.

Lifebreather

Veteran
I make sure to get in and out of my room before my lights come on.

Sometimes I'll delay the lights by 15 minutes if I need to, just won't get caught in there moments after they turn on.

I use level 7 gogs and I experienced immutable eye pain while working w/a vert 400w on. Now that I have vert kw's and 600's, going into that room w/lights on is out of the question.

The pain is something else...goes from the eye to the brain and nothing helps but time...

Take care.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
I make sure to get in and out of my room before my lights come on.

Sometimes I'll delay the lights by 15 minutes if I need to, just won't get caught in there moments after they turn on.

I use level 7 gogs and I experienced immutable eye pain while working w/a vert 400w on. Now that I have vert kw's and 600's, going into that room w/lights on is out of the question.

The pain is something else...goes from the eye to the brain and nothing helps but time...

Take care.

I know the pain you talk about. I didn't experience the pain often, but when I did.... man.

Hopefully all of our stories will help veterans and new-comers to the indoor growing of any plant and stop any further damage.

I ask you all a simple question, Do all welders smoke or are all smokers only welders. I beleive that ansi 17 safety glasses are rated enough to protect from any uv burn. My last job used pulsed mig weld brightest shit you ever saw, if you do burn your eyes cool whole milk dropped into your eyes and then thin sliced potatoes right on your eye ball will have you better in no time.

itisme

Veteran
Great post. Don't wait on this one guys. I have had eye issues for over a decade (not grow related) but you don't wanna lose those babies!