What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Must...catch...Heath... 7200 watts of VERT

LetsSeeYa

BST i just cant seem to get over how something like this is not the best way to grow MJ. Yeah skills and everything that plays a role into a true grower applies always, but if a newbie did start this way and learn, i think its best. I wish i saw these grows 9 years ago, lol.

How many hours did it take to build your set-up the way you wanted it? Curious. I sure would like to run my lights with a screen. Do ya weave in the branches or just take leaves and let the growth fill your screen? I keep thinking about that cupboard i have, but its only like 3x3x6 so not sure how many plants i could do at once. I could mount the LEDs on the sides or connect them in the middle and use a x-mas tree mover to spin the lights. But sure wish i could have your set up, i could have, but moving from my house, sucks.

Luvs this thread man, your going to knock this grow out of the park man! I thank you for the pics and all the info, i hope it can help me. I have read Marlos and a couple others and they have always been great, but with all the different little differences i have not been able to say, ''thats the best way'', i hope it happens here. There are more then one pics that could be in High Times, the lighting makes the pics magestic IMHO.

Very cool,

LSY

bobblehead

Veteran
BST i just cant seem to get over how something like this is not the best way to grow MJ. Yeah skills and everything that plays a role into a true grower applies always, but if a newbie did start this way and learn, i think its best. I wish i saw these grows 9 years ago, lol.

How many hours did it take to build your set-up the way you wanted it? Curious. I sure would like to run my lights with a screen. Do ya weave in the branches or just take leaves and let the growth fill your screen? I keep thinking about that cupboard i have, but its only like 3x3x6 so not sure how many plants i could do at once. I could mount the LEDs on the sides or connect them in the middle and use a x-mas tree mover to spin the lights. But sure wish i could have your set up, i could have, but moving from my house, sucks.

Luvs this thread man, your going to knock this grow out of the park man! I thank you for the pics and all the info, i hope it can help me. I have read Marlos and a couple others and they have always been great, but with all the different little differences i have not been able to say, ''thats the best way'', i hope it happens here. There are more then one pics that could be in High Times, the lighting makes the pics magestic IMHO.

Very cool,

LSY

lol... I think BST will tell you that this kind of grow isn't for beginners...

zamzia

Veteran
Very true, much as I am in awe of this and Heaths flooded vertical, I simply wouldn't know where to start. Running enough clones, and getting them ready in time for each cycle is mind-bending on it's own, let alone anything and everything else you would need to consider with this type of grow. Great respect to BldSwtTrs.

BldSwtTrs

I love you dude! :biglaugh:

<3

daaaammmnnn... salivating here. inspiring me, can't wait to see how this progresses!

That makes two of us! :)

Very cool,

LSY

Hmmm... hours to build? Honestly I couldn't even give you a guess because half of the time is spent designing things. You build something, watch how it works, and then improve what you need to. The safe answer is hundreds and hundreds of man hours. Once you have build a couple of these systems though you can throw them together relatively quickly.

I just weave the branches through the screen and some grow through. Hopefully one day I will find a strain I don't need a screen for. Kind of like Heath had.

Thanks for the kind words man. Hopefully the run turns out ok. :)

lol... I think BST will tell you that this kind of grow isn't for beginners...

Yea I mean its a tough question to answer. I messed up A LOTTTTT before figuring it out. Like I said though, I was a true beginner. Didn't know the difference between veg/flower, MH or HPS bulbs, light cycles, nutes, anything really. The evolution of our designs/systems was pretty crazy looking back at it. We build a lot of BAD shit before we got to this point. We had a few BAD runs before we figured it out. One other thing to consider with these systems is the sheer number of plants it takes to fill them. You need 115 plants just to run one system. You could, of course, design a smaller system if you wanted to.

That being said, I don't see why this system is harder to learn than any other method of growing. Constructing them maybe, but thats about it. Every method requires learning so I don't see why this is any different. Maybe a little less forgiving than soil or coco, but maybe not.

Very true, much as I am in awe of this and Heaths flooded vertical, I simply wouldn't know where to start. Running enough clones, and getting them ready in time for each cycle is mind-bending on it's own, let alone anything and everything else you would need to consider with this type of grow. Great respect to BldSwtTrs.

Thanks for the respect. It took a while to learn the whole process. Just like anything there is a learning curve that you can get through with enough hard work, determination, and research. Once you figure it out though it is very formulaic and not too bad.

BldSwtTrs

anyway we can get a whole room pic......im sure everyone would love to see it.

What drknockbootz said ^

This is the best I could do. I am not a photographer so I couldn't figure out another way to capture the entire room. It is a little bit weird looking and honestly I don't know how to make it better. Either way here is a pic of the big flowering room. Needs a bit of cleaning, but otherwise, its almost done. 3/4 systems were full when I took this pick, but as I am typing this it is full. :smokey:

picture.php

vangaurd

BldSwtTrs can i suggest Wappa (paradise seeds) I run these in my mini flooded tubes and they are excellent! A full indica, short plant that produces great golfball sized nugs for me. I fubar'ed then and they still produced. I love your stystem and only wish i had the room!

Billy Liar

great job here bst....
And to anyone calling heath a liar, just go and try these things yourself in a clean and controled environment.... I hit 2gpw using heaths ideas, and saw loads of room where I colud improve.....
Plant numbers = Yield.... So true, and thanks heath....
Good luck bst.. I'll be watching..
Peace
BL

catalyte

Veteran
great job here bst....
And to anyone calling heath a liar, just go and try these things yourself in a clean and controled environment.... I hit 2gpw using heaths ideas, and saw loads of room where I colud improve.....
Peace
BL

2gpw is amazing. :yes:

What do think makes the biggest difference to make that weight out of all the equipment you use?

Billy Liar

2gpw is amazing. :yes:

What do think makes the biggest difference to make that weight out of all the equipment you use?
Plant numbers = yield! that's the key..
I basically surrounded bulbs with plants, none of the individual plants were that impressive. Recirculating Hydro and controlled "high exchange airflow" to manage temps, are all you need. Put that in a clean room with some healthy plants and the rest is simples..
peace
BL

D

DHF

Plant numbers = yield! that's the key..
I basically surrounded bulbs with plants, none of the individual plants were that impressive. Recirculating Hydro and controlled "high exchange airflow" to manage temps, are all you need. Put that in a clean room with some healthy plants and the rest is simples..
peace
BL
Simple....babyshit....Tell em BL....Hope all`s been well with you and yours Bro....

BST....Got all my twisted kids droolin over here my buddy....Bring it on home...Haven`t been followin too close , but if yas haven`t done it already could yas please elaborate on the process you`ve dialed in to prevent root rot and potential crop failure....

Need more knowledge up in here for all to learn from.....the good AND the bad results....that`s what makes it real......

Respect....DHF....:ying:.....

catalyte

Veteran
^right on guys.... thnx for the replies... :headbange

Even though i currently run horizontal lighting, i'm thinking i should hang out in this Vert Area more often!! Y'all are kicking some ass in here!!!

BldSwtTrs

Beast dude, lovin' them tubes.

Much appreciated sir :pimp3:

Go hard or go home :D loving these systems!

You know it.

BldSwtTrs can i suggest Wappa (paradise seeds) I run these in my mini flooded tubes and they are excellent! A full indica, short plant that produces great golfball sized nugs for me. I fubar'ed then and they still produced. I love your stystem and only wish i had the room!

Thanks for the suggestion man. I will definitely be looking into these. Right now I would say my weakest link BY FARRRR is genetics. The DL that this system is filled with is awesome, but doesn't really produce for shit. I do, however, know it like the back of my hand and the quality is great. Thanks again for the recommendation.

great job here bst....
Peace
BL

Thanks man. 2gpw is a mark I havn't hit yet, but I am very confident that I can. I KNOW once I find the right genetics I can hit 2gpw consistently with what I have learned. I will be PMing you with questions once I hit 50 posts if you don't mind.

Plants are lookin nice! How many plants per unit? Whats the inside diameter? Whats the realistic goal per plant?

subscribed.

Inside diameter is about 4 feet. Each unit holds 115 plants. The realistic goal right now per plant is only 11g. The genetics that I currently have right now don't yield for shit, but are otherwise excellent. I had genetics that would yield easily twice that before, but lost them when I had to shut down. Different story there though...

Simple....babyshit....Tell em BL....Hope all`s been well with you and yours Bro....

BST....Got all my twisted kids droolin over here my buddy....Bring it on home...Haven`t been followin too close , but if yas haven`t done it already could yas please elaborate on the process you`ve dialed in to prevent root rot and potential crop failure....

Need more knowledge up in here for all to learn from.....the good AND the bad results....that`s what makes it real......

Respect....DHF....:ying:.....

Thanks for droppin in DHF. Always interested to hear what you have to say.

As far as preventing root rot, I would say that temps are obviously paramount. Right now water temps are about 72. I COULD drop these using water chillers, but I feel they arn't really worth the cost/kwh.

Each system has a bypass similar to Heath's except they are attached to a larger pump. The water that doesn't feed the system is shot back into the res, adding tons of DO in the process. Additionally there is a large air pump with several air stones attached to each res.

Each level has a "drop" to feed the level below. I feel this accomplishes the same thing as the bypass and adds DO as the water cascades into the level below.

Recently I started using Hydro Fungicide at 2ml/gallon which has been awesome. I heard about it in the undercurrent section and agree that is very effective.

I also suspect that because the water flow is so much greater than undercurrent/rdwc that there is less chance for root rot. I use a 600 gph pump and I would estimate about 400gph is flowing through the pipes. Not sure that this would minimize the chances of root rot, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

As far as the bad....

I believe in the past that I caught pyth on EVERY run without knowing it. I always made it to harvey and being new to growing didn't know what roots were supposed to look like. When pulling out the plants from the previous run I would notice that all the roots were brown and mushy. At the time I thought it might just be color stain from the nutes. Certainly didn't think it was bad since I was still pullin down without a problem. In hindsight I think this was a type of pyth that never killed the plants. I wonder if it affected yield, but was never bad enough to kill the plants. After using hydro fungicide I have no had the same browning/mushing of the roots. They are all nice and white and seem to be stronger.