What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using drill with socket adapter instead of wrench

Zipsort

Anyone do this? Any reason why I couldn't use a drill with a socket adapter for the tri clamp nuts instead of a hand wrench?

I have seen people at bhogart doing this, and figured the only reason people might not like to because the drill may cause sparks..

Any input?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone do this? Any reason why I couldn't use a drill with a socket adapter for the tri clamp nuts instead of a hand wrench?

I have seen people at bhogart doing this, and figured the only reason people might not like to because the drill may cause sparks..

Any input?

Its what I use and finish with a torque wrench.

No loose LPG present when we use the battery operated drills.

Zipsort

Right. Of course you don't want to open up a collection pot with one.. I have noticed they kind of seem to shred up the nuts a little bit, but it just saves on so much elbow grease.

Using an impact driver? Or drill low speed

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

As far as I know all drill motors are brushed commutated rotor designs, same goes for most power tools, vacuum cleaners, and many, if not most kitchen appliances. Usually these motors are open to ambient for cooling, something like a hand blender is in the gray area where you need to discover if it's internally hermetically sealed or not for yourself.

I employ a spark producing device, a Variac, I'm just very careful where and when it's used.

Zipsort

As far as I know all drill motors are brushed commutated rotor designs, same goes for most power tools, vacuum cleaners, and many, if not most kitchen appliances. Usually these motors are open to ambient for cooling, something like a hand blender is in the gray area where you need to discover if it's internally hermetically sealed or not for yourself.

I employ a spark producing device, a Variac, I'm just very careful where and when it's used.

The drills I’m using are brushless dewalt

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Which is what I use, and not to sound like a broken record, but there is no butane above LEL present when we use them.

Zipsort

Which is what I use, and not to sound like a broken record, but there is no butane above LEL present when we use them.

Absolutely. If thats already a concern definitely don't be using drills. Do you notice any worse shredding of the nuts?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That's a unique product, thanks for pointing it out. Is the rest of the circuit spark-less also? To get high torque under over a broad RPM range brushed motors are usually used, getting the same performance from brushless motors is expensive, requiring quality magnets and robust controllers.

I thought zero ignition points within the extraction area was the standard??

Yankee Screwdriver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver

Last edited:

Terpharvester

Buy thesehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GT0IWK/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 use them to do most of the work then finish with a torque wrench

Zipsort

Buy thesehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GT0IWK/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 use them to do most of the work then finish with a torque wrench

Which one do you use the drill or the driver? Also it seems those do not have brushless motors which is not good

Terpharvester

I used the drill at first then broke it when tightening 12in hp clamps on ptfe from maxing the drillout then continuing to turn it using the drill body as the wrench, dont do that lol. I then started using the torque driver after that on ptfe envolopes and basically max it out too While I highly recommend against this I've used both on a column leaking large amounts of solvents, So I don't really care if it's brushless or not. Really this should only ever be used on a system before solvent enters it. Keep it away from the fire Marshall too he will not like it. He'd like to see and air driven one being used.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a unique product, thanks for pointing it out. Is the rest of the circuit spark-less also? To get high torque under over a broad RPM range brushed motors are usually used, getting the same performance from brushless motors is expensive, requiring quality magnets and robust controllers.

I thought zero ignition points within the extraction area was the standard??

Yankee Screwdriver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver

I don't use the torque for anything but loosening and removing. I tighten with a torque wrench and If I develop a leak during the process, I simply use a socket wrench.

The drill is a convenience tool to lighten the load, not perform it all.

I recommend not doing so, but for those of ya'll who think they need it to perform under explosive conditions, may I suggest an air driven screw torque wrench and a search for non-sparking impact tools(????).