What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Safety of vacuum ovens

Fatturtle

Just starting making bho with a closed loop system.
I am practicing on a small system with 1.5 inch spools to learn on.

I am very careful safety wise and wondering about
the safety of having a small 0.9 cf oven full of butane vapor. There is led's light strips inside the oven with electrical wires going to them and wondering if that could trigger an explosion.

I am using nitrogen right now when I put fresh slabs
in the oven to replace the oxygen with nitrogen to make it safer for the first few hours until most of the
butane is gone but I know most people don't bother
doing that.

I have read a lot of threads about safety and stories
of when things go wrong but have never read about
a vacuum oven explosion.

Maybe the concentration of butane is too great inside the oven most of the time.

Curious if anyone has heard of an incident where a vacuum oven was the culprit?

Rickys bong

Veteran
In order to have butane ignite the gas concentration has to be within certain limits. If the butane to air mixture is outside of these limits, nothing can happen.

The amount coming off a slab is unlikely to reach the lower explosive limit, especially when most of the oxygen has been drawn out of the oven to start with.

Don't worry about it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What RB said. Propane has a lower explosive limit of 2.01% and Butane 1.86% when the oxygen content of the atmosphere around it is 21% oxygen.

pnw bb

those leds your talking about are located outside of the actual chamber.there is a heavy glass door the lights and then a thin plastic layer. look at your door from the side or above.

Latest posts

Latest posts