What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Loss of potency over time?

Superauto

I'm gonna decarb the weed and make tinctures by extracting the weed in 60% vodka(120 proof), in the ratio 1cl alcohol to 1 gram decarbed weed
After the extraction is done I will "water it down" with some less strong alcohol(maybe something like a 30% vodka) to make it easier to drink.
I will try to make it like 1 shot = 1 high
So for me maybe it will be like 1/3 of a gram weed(or 1/3 of a cl 60% vodka) to get a high
To make it smooth to drink I plan to take 1 part tincture(60% vodka) and 2 parts 30% vodka
In my calculator that will give a 40% shot with 1/3 of a gram weed in every cl of the end product
Then to my question, for how long will the THC remain it's potency in this 40% vodka?
I will of course store it dark away from direct sunlight.
Will it lose it's potency after months or are we talking years if stored properly?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Stored carefully in a dark container it'll last a couple of years before any real drop off

mushroombrew

Veteran
THC converts to CBN over time. So you lose the cerebral "high" and get more body. Been looking into different extraction methods and their longevity. Will be doing some testing over the next year.

Superauto

What about frost, will THC be affected by beeing stored outside wintertime?
I live up north and want to hide the tincture in bottles in the grown to make it as stealthy as possible, need to have as little as possible inside the house in case I get a police visit.

Ollie

Veteran
Stored in a cool place, THC will not convert into CBN.

Sam Skunkman have had flowers tested that was storred (IIRC) 1,5 year with a very low conversion rate, (IIRC) less than 1%.

Carraxe

Veteran
I don't know about conversion rates, but I find weed stored more than a year to be sleepy and lacking flavor. I have never seen a weed that's good after a year, unless I froze it. One year is the limit for quality. I have my concentrates in the frozen and I do believe they age very well.

Cheers