What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please explain inline dewaxing to a moron

nwlabs

I've tried 1, 2, 3 hrs in the dewax column at -15deg on the outside jacket, but it's never as good as dry ice.

When I use dry ice in an ice cooler, max is 2 hrs, but usually 1-1.5hrs is enough to coagulate.

I also have a freezer, but that takes too long.. 24 hours at least to coagulate (-4 to 0 C).

NWL how long do you let it sit in the dewax chamber at subzero before filtering? It takes a couple hours for the waxes to congeal together pretty well from what i have seen with dry ice in the and my steel thermos. But i have never used an inline dewax unit. There is a Bret Maverick video on youtube where he is dewaxing a ton of oil using a passive inline dewax unit and it looked like it worked pretty well.
https://youtu.be/I6tvmcULdww

Old Gold

Using IR thermometer, reads -15C.
PX1 solvent tank is 18 gallons, fill it up 3/4 of the way.
The material column is 4" x 60".
Dry material we get ~2200 - 2400g.

Colder is definitely better. Maybe try recovering a quantity of solvent before chilling it to precipitate wax/fats/lipids, if you can't go any colder.

I have found that I can process more material if I don't dewax each column individually, but run 5 columns and then take that 1.5-2 kilos and put it back into a column with carbon and then transfer it to a dewaxing column with a silica filter bed. The carbon scrub and dewax makes live resin with distillate clarity.

gardenlover

I have found that I can process more material if I don't dewax each column individually, but run 5 columns and then take that 1.5-2 kilos and put it back into a column with carbon and then transfer it to a dewaxing column with a silica filter bed. The carbon scrub and dewax makes live resin with distillate clarity.

Vary interesting tech! could you elaborate more on this? it sounds like a great Idea! So you run 5 separate runs and collect the total of the 5 and run them all back through the system again with carbon packed in the bottom of the material column? and then transfer to the de wax chamber and then instead of spending say 10 hours de waxing 5 separate runs, you now only have to spend 2 hours win the de wax chamber? then you see much clearer product? do you find that the carbon takes out any of the smell or flavor?

I have always wondered about weather its better to do a cold run on the material column with dry material (chill the solvent and the column) and not pull as much fats and lipids....but then I wonder if been so cold will hurt overall yield? to me it would seem much faster and less work to do a cold extraction to dry material similar to how live (wet fresh frozen) material is done cold in a jacketed column. Anyone have any input? would vary much appreciate it!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vary interesting tech! could you elaborate more on this? it sounds like a great Idea! So you run 5 separate runs and collect the total of the 5 and run them all back through the system again with carbon packed in the bottom of the material column? and then transfer to the de wax chamber and then instead of spending say 10 hours de waxing 5 separate runs, you now only have to spend 2 hours win the de wax chamber? then you see much clearer product? do you find that the carbon takes out any of the smell or flavor?

I have always wondered about weather its better to do a cold run on the material column with dry material (chill the solvent and the column) and not pull as much fats and lipids....but then I wonder if been so cold will hurt overall yield? to me it would seem much faster and less work to do a cold extraction to dry material similar to how live (wet fresh frozen) material is done cold in a jacketed column. Anyone have any input? would vary much appreciate it!

We prefer to extract with -30 to -50C LPG, so as to not pick up fats, lipids, and plant waxes, as well as molecules longer than about C-22, in the first place.

It takes longer to extract at those temperatures, but it still produces a 20 to 25% yield.

Sriley28

Anyone know the math to calculate how big of a dewax column you need for your run? Same size as material column or bigger?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone know the math to calculate how big of a dewax column you need for your run? Same size as material column or bigger?

About 2.5 column volumes will allow you to flush the material columns with about three volumes of LPG.

Latest posts

Latest posts