What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flower Hardener

Z

Ziggaro

Grow More has that mendocino avalanche product and is marketed as a "flower hardener." I don't think it's easy to be able to advertise that distinction in a fertilizer, so most don't afaik. Pretty sure it's mostly kelp, though.

glow

Grow More has that mendocino avalanche product and is marketed as a "flower hardener." I don't think it's easy to be able to advertise that distinction in a fertilizer, so most don't afaik. Pretty sure it's mostly kelp, though.

Mendocino Avalanche uses copper (Cu) as it's magic bullet. Can't say as I'm too impressed with it given Cu is a heavy metal and bioaccumulates and can ultimately be ingested through the smoke stream. Cu in excess also stands to cause toxicity - so bang too much Cu in your nutrient and you may have problems. And given only minute amounts of Cu are required you'd want to be careful about how you used Avalanche.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Mendocino Avalanche uses copper (Cu) as it's magic bullet.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Just a thought[/FONT]: This might also be the case for Siliforce/FaSilitor which contains [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]not just silica but [/FONT]quite high amounts of copper (IMHO nearly excessively high amounts compared to the other micronutrients in there)...[/FONT]

glow

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Just a thought[/FONT]: This might also be the case for Siliforce/FaSilitor which contains [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]not just silica but [/FONT]quite high amounts of copper (IMHO nearly excessively high amounts compared to the other micronutrients in there)...[/FONT]

Possibly OO, although the Mendocino Avalanche reputedly doesn't reduce stretch so it could be a stress response relative to too much Si some growers are finding reduces stretch or a combo of Si and Cu. Pretty sad really, the hydro industry created the need for stretch reducers by flogging stretch increasers (HPS light through grow and stretch) and bad advice and now they profit from their crappy advice:)

Last edited:

Siever

Veteran
I use kelp right now (plagron) and have used green sensation.
To tell the truth: I don't notice any difference between the products. If I use lava & bone meal together with vinasse I have the same results.
Right now I grow Y Griega and they're almost finished; The plants are almost falling down because of the weight!
I hope this helps somebody.

Siever

Z

Ziggaro

Not sure on the mendo avalanche I never used it. The label says its for the last few weeks though afaik it's not advertised to stop the stretch.
Their website isn't quite as informative as I like, but I hear they have a good reputation and do a lot of commercial business. I like their Jumpstart product and they are cheap compared to most bottles, so I'll be picking some up here for the last few weeks of flower to see if I notice anything.

ill second the kelp. ive been using maxicrop 0-0-17 water soluble kelp for a few runs. i can see and feel a noticable difference.

S

sourpuss

Kelp. And kelp. Did I mention kelp??

How bout some hot college chicks in bikinis? Or sans bikini haha...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Kelp. And kelp. Did I mention kelp??

How bout some hot college chicks in bikinis? Or sans bikini haha...

Done and done?

jeune-fille-habille-avec-kelp-laminaria-digitata-girl-dressed-with-B177G9.jpg

glow

On the point of Avalanche and copper - bit of research highlights an interesting thing

With the aim to examine its potential as a renewable resource to decontaminate polluted soils, electron microscopy combined with X-ray microanalysis was used to investigate the localization of copper in Cannabis sativa grown in hydroponic copper-rich culture. Cu was found to accumulate preferentially in the upper leaf epidermal cells; it was also detected in spiculae and in abaxial trichomes too. Primary bast fibres seem to be not involved in copper accumulation --- http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10681-004-4752-0

on the point of copper being inhaled via the smoke stream

Metal ions play an important role in biological systems, and without their catalytic presence in trace or ultratrace amounts many essential co-factors for many biochemical reactions would not take place. However, they become toxic to cells when their concentrations surpass certain optimal (natural) levels. Copper is an essential metal. Catalytic copper, because of its mobilization and redox activity, is believed to play a central role in the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as O2-* and *OH radicals, that bind very fast to DNA, and produce damage by breaking the DNA strands or modifying the bases and/or deoxyribose leading to carcinogenesis. The chemistry and biochemistry of copper is briefly accounted together with its involvement in cancer and other diseases.

Yeah safe to say I'll pass on hitting my plants with more copper than need be

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah safe to say I'll pass on hitting my plants with more copper than need be

Exactly...heavy metals embed at cellular level and remain until heavy duty detox. Brain, lung, liver....not good.

rykus

phosphoload kills flowerdragon, hands down. don't waste money on that stuff. any of the stronger ones get rot(megabud)....

but yeah organic is better than ?.... nothing produces more than consistancy in environment and care.

Rondon

Damn. Veg. + Bloom and nothing else gets it done for me. Or the way inexpensive Jacks Hydro + Calnit. Either one and a couple tubs last about a year. I save the kelps/fulvic/aminos/silica/neem/yucca for a dual foliar spray. (All in dry powder form and cheap from Kelp4less - another once a year purchase). One foliar spray for the biostimulants one week. And one for pest & disease prevention the next week. No bloom boosters...additives...root growers etc. (Veg + Bloom has some in the base but its not much)
I give up on all of the hydroponic shop bottles. The European additives from Canna..Plagron..and the rest are ridiculous in price. And they arent saying whats really in them. It no longer goes into my feed tanks. Just a simple mineral salt. And trusty EC numbers from 1.0 to 1.8. Iam over all of that stuff. They have gotten enough of my money over the years. If I want a "flower hardener" now a days....I will run a cultivar that puts out hard flowers when my rooms are dialed in. Period. Iam a medical caregiver in Michigan. Some of my patients need the cleanest medicine I cam realistically provide. And no one is paying crazy prices anymore for good clean buds. Them days are going or gone as we inch closer to full out legalization. Prices of cannabis now dont justify some of the operating costs that werent a big deal back in the day when good indoor bud was 3 or 5 hundred an ounce. You can see it out there. With growers trying new less expensive lighting lile COBS and CMH. And we arw turning away from 100 or 200 dollar quart bottles of some crazy additige that we dont know whats really in it. Or nutrient lines that have 10 or 15 bottles that are just different forms of watered down kelp aminos and humics. Not me anyways. Iam not fetching the big bucks like I used to back in 1995 to 2005. I mean...Iam still doing ok but Iam trying to cut operating costs like everyone else. Trying new less expensive lighting...simple mineral salt fertilizer. And growing more outside. As.cannabis slowly drops more amd more in price relative to the amount of growers growing and legalization...the hobby hydroponic equipment industry I believe will start to take a hit. We just dont need all that crap to grow good dope. And the falling price no longer justifies the means.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts