Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hobbies and Interests > The Munchie Mansion > What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

Thread Title Search
What Are You Eating Right Now!!! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 04:01 PM #4541
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Reach for the point cut corned beef brisket.... flank is always too rubbery... If they don't have the point cut, I don't have corned beef
MrBungle is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM #4542
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
Yep, point cut it was. A bit fatter, but it cooks up nicely, to the 'point' (no pun intended) of falling apart into 'threads' quite well. Good stuff for making corned beef hash with at that point, if there's any left-overs... which this time there's not.

My younger boy asked me last night if there's "anything else that can be done with that cut of meat?" (*He doesn't like the standard pickling spices, even when I use the spicy, hotter version).

I told him that it can be roasted rather than boiled, or smoked. And in any case, it can be made into ruben sandwiches (which he likes), corned beef hash, pot roast (rather than a boil), or just plain old smoked meat. But if the brining process has been completed, rather than it being just a fresh plain old brisket, then smoking may get a bit weird, flavor-wise.

Having a single, over-medium, fried egg, on dry, whole grain, honey & wheat-berry toast, with supplements, Rx, and... freshly-ground, black, French roast Costa Rican coffee... And the standard qt. of R/O H2O.
moose eater is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 AM #4543
rod58

rod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond repute
slow roasted some rolled brisket last night as i had a big meat eater coming for tea.
i covered it with double shot pepper sauce , wrapped it in foil and gave it 4.5 hours at 140d. god i love that stuff , my friend nearly devoured the remaining chunk !
i just had , for breakfast , fried tomato and a microwaved egg on toasted bread roll .
rod58 is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 AM #4544
noyd666

roast pork toasted sandwich for breakfast.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:47 AM #4545
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond reputeGry has a reputation beyond repute
chili on rice

Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 AM #4546
shithawk420

shithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose eater View Post
I've still go 2 full ~20-30 lb. bags of Nicola spuds from last year's crop in the basement, a handful of them in a tub under the counter, and a much smaller bag and a half of Sangre' spuds in really nice shape that I, or someone capable of running my tiller and hiller if I have surgery in the next handful of weeks, was going to plant roughly half of next month, late.

I prepared the corned beef boil in the middle of the day, when my wife and younger son were at work & school.

For some reason, the last 2 times I've made a corned beef boil, over the last month since St. Patty's Day, I've totally spaced out putting spuds in the boil. No clue why..

Then, after the fact, realizing there's no spuds in the mix, it's simply that much more effort to prepare them by themselves.

This may sound pathetic, but these days, energy is low, and is key to most activities..
I understand it's kinda traditional to boil corned beef but I don't think any meat should be boiled.am I wrong?serious question.
shithawk420 is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 AM #4547
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
It's mostly a tradition thing, 'hawk.. I can't immediately think of any other cut of meat I boil, other than in the past, tenderizing short-ribs or spare ribs in boiling water with a touch of vinegar and salt.

I think the Brits were challenged for creative cooking in the Old Days (no offense Hazy & superx ;^>) ) My suspicions have been, for years, that the UK had three spices back in those times; "salt, pepper, and things we don't need." And many things were boiled.

Which is a shame, considering they were the NW corner to the waters that brought the spice revolution to and from Europe. 500+ years ago.

But to each their own.

I boil the corned beef with the rest of it, simply as a matter of tradition. I do like corned beef, even done that way, though making sure to strain the pickling spices from the broth when the meat's nearly done, before adding the cabbage and other veggies, is important in my opinion. Picking pickling spices out of your teeth, veggies, etc., gets a bit old.

We've boiled corned moose, and when brined and spiced properly, have made some DYNAMITE ruben sandwiches that way.

Currently baking (in foil) a fillet of Copper River red/sockeye salmon, cross-hatched carefully on the meat side with a razor-sharp knife, and then basted fairly generously with garlic, soy sauce, maple syrup, black pepper, and ginger that was mixed together nicely in a crème broulette (spelling?) cup, then slathered over the fillet, before encasing it in foil, & popping it into the oven for 22-24 minutes at 375 f.

Probably have raw broccoli and carrot sticks with it, maybe dipped in home-made ranch dressing, & garlic toast.

Normally would have short-grain brown rice with such fare, but again, the energy level matters, and I drank an Imperial Blonde Ale (9% abv) from Glacier Brew House in Anchorage. So I'm recouping some of that waning energy now.

Maybe a cup of black tea. Maybe 2. ;^>)
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM #4548
shithawk420

shithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond reputeshithawk420 has a reputation beyond repute
great post moose.you confirmed my suspicions.thats an odd combination though.maple syrup and soy sauce?doesnt sound bad though with garlic and ginger.man i wish i could see your food.even in the middle of nowhere you eat like a king.much respect
shithawk420 is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 AM #4549
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute

Working on Something Sneaky
troutman is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM #4550
noyd666

eggs on toast fer the moment.