Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Guerilla Underground Thread

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
Guerilla Underground Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 AM #761
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Unless you're growing autos, I think you should be at 18/6 then put out on June 1 and you should be good. Flowering starts when the days get shorter, so slowly counting down might risk flowering and then re-vegging when you put them out.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. I'm curious about the slow decrease in light.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 03:45 AM #762
marmarb

marmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the rough
Yea im wondering if straight to 18/6 would cause them to flower even though it's still a veg cycle. Was hopeful i could put them out may1 or the 14 at the latest. Thinking of getting some autos to supplement harvest. Looking for original low ryder1 or 2 should make for great winter breeding project.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM #763
djimb

djimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nicedjimb is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
1. In your situation I'd plant a few autos, then photos. Start your Autos in 3" peat pots about 4 weeks before you can get out to the spot. Then start some a couple weeks after that. Scheduling your harvest is important.

[...]

Besides the logistics of moving a pot to the location (do it at night?), put your pot in a garbage bag the the garbage bag in the hole. The soil won't wick the water away from your plant this way. Remember to poke a few holes (5-7 pencil sized holes) in your garbage bag for drainage.

[...]

I'd completely defoliate the plant (bring your scissors), ring the plant. That means removing the bark from around the foot of the main stalk and let it die standing. If humidity is low enough, you might get away with the majority of the drying.

[...]

If you want to seed, make sure it's far far far away from your plants. Like miles away. Years ago I planted a couple Fems in a forest clearing (I have 500 acres to play with), and I still found a few seeds in the bud. Pollen travels like clouds and can go for miles and miles. The day you see pollen sacs open, carefully slide a garbage bag over it, and cut it down. Stick a few bud branches in the bag, shake the bag and remove it gently. Tie up the garbage bag and carry it out to a garbage bin.
Good luck.

--Edit--
About peat pots: They can be acidic, so before you add your soil, dunk them underwater and rinse them until bubbles stop coming off them. It only takes a few seconds. When you water, water from the bottom in the tray. Don't be afraid to add 1 inch of water in the tray. When the top of the pot starts drying, add water from the top, then water from the bottom again. Let the pots wick the water to your seedlings, and don't start adding 1/4 nutes until week 2. Normal feeding at week 4 before they go out.
Thanks for your detailed response!

I think I'll only run one round of autos for some quick stash. For photoperiod strains, I wanted to do a couple Flos and/or a couple Baglung Nepalis, which are both supposed to finish around the end of Sept.

If I started seed in early July and planted them out in the beginning of august, i figure they should stay pretty small. I'll start the Durban and PNG in august, in the hopes that they start flowering as soon as they're able.

Are you growing out some of your Honduran seed outdoors? I figure if you can finish a tropical strain as far north as you are, I might as well try to at least make some seed.

How often do you have to water with your trash bag method? I was thinking I'd plant directly in the ground, but keep the hole small. Hopefully, this will help to restrict the ultimate size while still allowing the roots to scavenge for water so I don't have to visit that often. The advice I always used to give folks who were planting trees was to dig a hole twice as wide as the rootball and mix compost in with the native soil to give a good transition zone for the roots to grow through.i think by keeping the hole roughly the size of a #3 or #5 pot, it should provide plenty of space to grow and establish itself before the roots reach the heavy native soil and slow down.

I checked the RH for Oct and Nov, and it looks like it's usually around 70%. That seems fair for the first stage of drying, ya? I could visit with some big kilners jars and do a rough trim to bring them home to start curing.

I have been considering girdling to force the plants to finish faster, and it makes sense that it would also help to dry it in situ without the need to hang it. Would it dry too fast without defoliation, or is that just to encourage the plant to die where it stands?

Regarding pollen travel, I used to live in Portland, OR, 50 miles downwind of the biggest growing area for sod and grass seed in the western US. I'm allergic to grass, so i'm well aware how well pollen travels. I'll try to catch any males before they start dropping and collect as much as I can for controlled pollination on the females.

Thanks for the advice on soaking the peat pots.

Last edited by djimb; 04-18-2018 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: brevity
djimb is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 PM #764
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by djimb View Post
Are you growing out some of your Honduran seed outdoors? I figure if you can finish a tropical strain as far north as you are, I might as well try to at least make some seed.
I don't grow indoors. Too many kids dropping in. But yes, I will. I picked up a pound of seeds when I was there so I don't need any more. But it's one of the best and clearest highs I've ever had (but I'm a total lightweight). So I'll be growing a couple dozen or so. If the weather's nice I might have some to smoke.

Quote:
How often do you have to water with your trash bag method?
I plant directly in the ground because I'm in a watershed with plenty of low lying areas, lots of groundwater and semi dry marshes. But if I did use them, I'd add a little water crystals to ease the burden a bit. But how much you water depends on how much it rains and if it's planted in an area that will collect water. I would think once every two-three weeks would be enough with occasional precipitation. Maybe never. I put a lot out and don't visit all that often unless we get a month of no rain. Even then, I've never watered. Buy mid August it's going to start getting lots of rain water.

Quote:
I checked the RH for Oct and Nov, and it looks like it's usually around 70%. That seems fair for the first stage of drying, ya? I could visit with some big kilners jars and do a rough trim to bring them home to start curing.
That's a good HR for a nice long dry. The longer the dry, the better it is, but your risk for mold goes way up. Lucky you. I'm at a crushing 100%RH at harvest time. But I defoliate the fuck out of everything as it matures and it's complete at harvest time. I trim on the plant as much as I can on the spot to reduce the weight I have to haul, and reduce the risk of mold/rot. I use hockey equipment bags to haul because they're big and aerated. You can smell me coming a mile away.

Quote:
I have been considering girdling to force the plants to finish faster, and it makes sense that it would also help to dry it in situ without the need to hang it. Would it dry too fast without defoliation, or is that just to encourage the plant to die where it stands?
If it's dry enough, it should dry standing, but again, you risk mold and bud rot without defoliation. If you do it, it will die absolutely. It's supposed to force an early finish, but it will for sure start the drying. I wouldn't advise to do it unless you're almost ready to harvest and it's at least 60% RH. But I've done it. lol

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on soaking the peat pots.
Your welcome, but that comes from Julian's thread. It should be required reading for every grower. Search for the "MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW" thread. It's a big thread but a great read.

~

------------

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:05 PM #765
OvergrowDaWorld
$$ ALONE $$

OvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivorOvergrowDaWorld is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmarb View Post
Picked up some 25 gal grow bags today will probably put half into a hole gonna go grab a 1 man auger. When can we place out side and not start flowering. I run t5 24/7 guessing i will drop a hr every 2 days until it matches up to may 1st.
I run my outdoor plants indoors from 24/0, then to 18/6 for a week, then finally to 16/8 for a week or 2 before they go outside for the year.
This has always been great for me. Never had a plant flower on me when I put it outside on May 15th.
Sir-Cough-A-Gas
SuperSilverSourDieselGlue
SuperSilverSourLemonGlaze
Dubble RoadDawg
OvergrowDaWorld is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 PM #766
TychoMonolyth

Thanks for the tip. Puts me at ease doing that.

~

------------

Old 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM #767
Dday391

Dday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the rough
The m.o.g I feel it's where everyone should start. It is almost universal in application to be honest. I read it last summer and it changed a lot for me honestly. A true gem of the forums here for sure
Dday391 is offline Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 PM #768
TychoMonolyth

M.o.g?

~

------------

Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 PM #769
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
m.o.g. its my best guess
MrBungle is online now Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 PM #770
TychoMonolyth

Ah... I should have known that. Lol

~

------------