Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

Thread Title Search
The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 PM #41
VortexPower420

VortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really nice
I March to the beat of my own drum really. I have never followed anyone's mix but my own

I have had mediocre runs but never a failure.

Jidoka I would like to here. I have been moving away from it a little more as I get my soil saturated with Ca.

I assume my problems are from Ca lock out, traces and a little P even though I have enough, or I think I do.

I don't test so I don't know my K to start so I can't say with any certainty what is happening but I have been soaking zeolite in k sulfate for a few days and then applying to the soil at 1 tsp gal of soil with 1 tsp of kelp. It has gotten rid of my K def in late flower and I think I can attribute it to a yield increase. Hard to say because I am not changing just one factor at a time

Old 04-17-2018, 09:46 PM #42
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post
In peat/coco how do you guys acct for the organic material. It isn’t cec but it holds stuff.

Gypsum is a 2 edge sword. Exactly as mentioned earlier. Go too far and you will go to lockout hell. Take one pot of coco, add 1 lb per cubic ft of gypsum and see what happens

What if I said you are much more likely to have a k shortage in veg than flower...is that topic appropriate for this thread? What if I said I no longer use gypsum in soil less? Big question do you want me here at all?

Edit...if I am soilless and organic-ish I am Tom hill minus gypsum, not coot
You are welcome here 100%.

This ship has a different captain and We have no problems. Keep your mouth clean and rants to yourself. This is about growing weed.

In regards to your thoughts...

The organic matter in the mix is also something that I have been questioning. How do we factor in what it is releasing and when?

Only thing I can come up with is having a large amount of the same mix and learning what happens to it over time. And a shit load of testing. Next question, if you get the end result, does it matter?

You hit a point on something I have been thinking about lately. If you don't have low quality EWC/compost going in, is the gypsum necessary? We are just looking for Ca after all... most mixes don't need the Na and K washed out if they are built correctly.

What are your thoughts on my posted mix? Gypsum and all.
growingcrazy is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 PM #43
VortexPower420

VortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really niceVortexPower420 is just really nice
Most mixes are not build correctly

Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 PM #44
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexPower420 View Post
I March to the beat of my own drum really. I have never followed anyone's mix but my own

I have had mediocre runs but never a failure.

Jidoka I would like to here. I have been moving away from it a little more as I get my soil saturated with Ca.

I assume my problems are from Ca lock out, traces and a little P even though I have enough, or I think I do.

I don't test so I don't know my K to start so I can't say with any certainty what is happening but I have been soaking zeolite in k sulfate for a few days and then applying to the soil at 1 tsp gal of soil with 1 tsp of kelp. It has gotten rid of my K def in late flower and I think I can attribute it to a yield increase. Hard to say because I am not changing just one factor at a time
One test and guessing is no such thing. If I blind folded you at the door of the bar and told you to walk in shoot a bullseye, what are your odds? Now how about if you were stood in front of the board before being blind folded?

Good analogy?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 PM #45
VortexPower420

Total 100% my down fall right now. I don't even have a dart board to shoot at yet. I get that. When I get some more scratch it is on the agenda.

I want to bring both world together. I believehe maximum will be found rooted a good mineral base driving a robust microbial population creating a full loop.

I have a lot to catch up on from the other thread to be where you guys are at, but I am on my way.

The benefits of gypsum on a soil low in Ca is undeniable. I am seeing where the limit is now.

I really want to understand how peat soils act compared to true soils that most people have a understanding of how they work.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:54 PM #46
growingcrazy

First sample, end of week 4.

Second sample, end of week 10.

Looking better numbers wise at the end. I have plants vegging in the bed right now, sucking up all of that K.

As Jidoka noted earlier, K deficiency is a real thing as plants mature in veg. If you can get the Ca, B and Si into the plant early, a good sign it all worked is the K def. Just be prepared for it. I bring K up at the end of veg and then transplant into the soil bed that is saturated with K from the last flower run. This along with foliar/ drench Ca gets roots to explode quickly into the soilbeds.

This is how I run my LOS/No-till style soil bed. My garden for my personal...

Jidoka, you have a sample from one of the big name coco's? Or is everyone running direct source coco now?

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM #47
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcrazy View Post
First sample, end of week 4.
View Image

Second sample, end of week 10.
View Image

Looking better numbers wise at the end. I have plants vegging in the bed right now, sucking up all of that K.

As Jidoka noted earlier, K deficiency is a real thing as plants mature in veg. If you can get the Ca, B and Si into the plant early, a good sign it all worked is the K def. Just be prepared for it. I bring K up at the end of veg and then transplant into the soil bed that is saturated with K from the last flower run. This along with foliar/ drench Ca gets roots to explode quickly into the soilbeds.

This is how I run my LOS/No-till style soil bed. My garden for my personal...

Jidoka, you have a sample from one of the big name coco's? Or is everyone running direct source coco now?
That last sample has a calculated 13.5% K. I think you went a bit high... How do the plants look? You are doing this before flower?

Wow.
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 10:45 PM #48
growingcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
That last sample has a calculated 13.5% K. I think you went a bit high... How do the plants look? You are doing this before flower?

Wow.
Do you use the Spectrum approach to maximum Ca base % based on CEC for your calculations?

I still can't figure out your numbers.

M3 numbers, we are below 7.0 and in a low carbonate soil.

Ca 11220/200= 56.1 meq
Mg 843/120= 7.02 meq
K 1851/390= 4.74 meq
Na 229230= .99 meq

total meq = 68.76

Ca 56.1/68.76*100= 81.5%
Mg 7.02/68.76*100= 10.2%
K 4.74/68.76*100= 6.8%
Na.99/68.76*100= 1.4%

By your theory I should have had a Ca and Mg deficiency due to that high of K. I had neither.

Last edited by growingcrazy; 04-19-2018 at 04:38 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 PM #49
jidoka

jidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to all
So high Na, high K, high Al, high Fe, high Fe, k2o 2x p2o5, micros our of whack, ec way high.

However it happened this is anti slow soil. I would expect lock out from the get

Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 PM #50
growingcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post
So high Na, high K, high Al, high Fe, high Fe, k2o 2x p2o5, micros our of whack, ec way high.

However it happened this is anti slow soil. I would expect lock out from the get
When you started with a coots style mix loaded with Mg and K from EWC it takes a while to get it back on track.

Micro's are a lot closer than before, zn is high, mn low, Id like to see K at ~1000 ppm at flip. Al and Fe are what they are, the low pH last round didnt help, yet they are still lower than previous rounds. Why the high B? 1/1000 of Ca, I wanted to see what happened... ran through 2 ppm of B in one cycle. Do you know the results?

EC is way high, agreed. Although my numbers only show 1.8-1.9.

I have 340 gallons of soil in a bed, it takes a while to make changes.

In peat and coco, different story.