What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE's Panama vs Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone here had the opportunity to compare ACE's Panama to Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red? What were your findings?

I've currently got ACE's Panama in early flowering and I detect some notably Skunk-ish, Dutch type under/overtones to it, leaves are rather broad and indica-ish, Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red is allegedly a pure landrace sativa, looks as if it could possibly be the real deal. I know Dr G had been trying to get his hands on the real deal for many years.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

billy

Last edited:

Bumbatar

I could be wrong but I thought ace Panama had some Colombian red in it and I also heard and could be wrong that Victorian era pharmaceutical companies brought indica cannabis seeds from northern India to Colombia to grow and manufacture their invigorating tonics and elixirs, then those seeds mixed with the native sativa plants. This is why some people think the Colombian red cannabis in the 70's had a sedative drunken high compared to the more stimulating Colombian gold or Mexicans.

thejact55

I thought aces panama had something else in it as well. I just looked and aces sight mentions alot of panama mothers, and nothing about columbian or anything else except it is remenescent of old columbians...
I coulda swore there was something else in it though.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew out the ACE version and was satisfied. I never had the original Panama Red to compare it to. Good power and a nice sativa buzz.

I currently have the Greenthumb version as well as Snowhigh's PR going. I expect them to be good or great. All the reports on Greenthumb's PR have been very good.

Snow's was good but had been sitting for a year or so before I smoked it and was heavily seeded.

Our Panama hybrid has been developed with different Panama and Colombian strains. It is a serious breeding project of 5 years.

We have combined an old Panama sativa from the 70s, a 'green' Panama grown there nowadays and colombian red point.

Original tropical panama and colombians varieties need 4-5 mounths to flower and produce fluffy buds. But we have been working very hard to reduce the size, flowering times, to increase yields, bud density and resin formation of the original panama lines in our hybrid. We have also adapt the genetics to colder environments and have reduced light requeriments.

Our Panama it's a vigorous and manageable sativa that can be grown indoors and in great variety of climates. She flowers in about 10-11 weeks producing very dense, resinous and aromatic high quality sativa buds.

There are 2 phenos in the population, being both quite frequent: the green and the red pheno.

The red pheno grows very bushy. Its young pistils have a characteristic red colour (and not the whitish classic colour ), and then magenta when they are mature. The high is strong, dense and psychedelic.

The green pheno is lighter in colour, has wider leaf and thicker stems. The grown pattern is a little bit more columnar but still with very good branching.

The green pheno flowers with the classic white pistils. The strong crystal formation and the light colour makes a nice combination of green and white.The high is a little bit clearer and more energetic than the red panamas.

Both phenos have similar size, potency, bud density, resin formation and similar flowering times, finishing at mid October in temperate climates. The aromas are sweet, earthy with great terpene density and quality.

Pics of the green pheno growing outdoors.

I've read that Panama Red was just a Columbian Red relocated. I could be completely wrong though. But this would make sense as to why Ace used it in there hybrid. Both of these are lowland types which is why they are more dreamy and narcotic.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ My take is that there is a Panama Red strain separate from the Colombian Red. But it was rare and so for marketing and just general confusion, the lowland Colombian Red was renamed Panama Red quite often.

I think most who smoked 'Panama Red' were really smoking the Colombian. I did have the Colombian Red in '78. It was stony and dense in effect, not a typical sativa high. It was a lot like today's hybrid strains in effect.

There was also the Punto Rojo highland Colombian. It was rare and produced a soaring high compared to the lowland type. Not sure if the Punto Rojo was related to the Panama Red. I am reading a book about a smuggler of mostly Colombian pot. He commented how rare the highland type was and the better high from it.

The ACE version is not at all like the Colombian Red, much more clear.

covert

It seems a shame there was some Dutch admixture but it seems to have gotten there as a kind of life raft that saved it from extinguishing. Maybe a Dutch male to get some hard won seeds. Who knows what it was but it's evolution baby. Good or bad matters not, survival matters. Which is good and which is bad can't always be known in advance where the underlying environment can change. True for plants and humans in the real physical world. Even truer for humans in the more abstract realm of human ethics.

geneva_sativa

I remember people reporting to look to CBG for longer flowering, exceptional examples, wish we had more presence for product Q & A from them.

Havent tried Dr Greenthumbs Panama Red. . . have tried his Kashmiri Resin Factory, Swazi, and few others almost 15 years ago.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No telling when Charlie will be back or if at all. CBG is kind of dead as of now. ACE carries on the lines.

Can you tell anything on the Greenthumb strains you ran?

geneva_sativa

His Kashmiri that was initially released was some of my favorite smoke to this day and the Endless Sky from that time was very nice smoke too . . . the other 2 were not super outstanding for me.

But he used to have Malawi, Nepalese, Golden Haze, and several others. . . this was before he offered fems and S1

Look forward to hear how the Panama does for you.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Cannabiogen - Panama
100% sativa hybrid which uses 3 Panaman lines from different ages and sources inbred for 7 generations.

Panama »»» Panama F7

vs

ACE Seeds - Panama
Our Panama combines some different red sativas from Panama and Colombia

Panama »»» Panama x Colombia

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Mate, I'd be definitely curious on Dr Gt's Panama Red, I've seen a nice review on Rollitup forum, the guy chopped em at 95-100 days! I'm wondering about the source from the Panama Red that Breeder's Choice Organisation used to sell as well, this one also has great reviews along with their Colombian Black.

I think you are right about your perceptions on the Panama hybrid, since CBG's Panama was created as a three way cross, using the Panama2000/Panama Red 1974 strain from Green Grocer @Vibes Co as the foundation. From what I was told, CBG/ACE just crossed the original strain they've received from Green Grocer to a chunky Punto Rojo and kept inbreeding it from there. IMO that Punto Rojo Red Colombian wasn't the best representation of an oldschool Colombian NLD either. Some reported 14 week compact phenos.

The Panama hybrid being offered nowadays changed a bit along the years and no longer show the wispy phenos often found on the the first Panama hybrids released, which resembled more to the wild NLD heritage found in Green Grocer's work. It went from 14+ weeks to 10-11 and such a compact structure. So it's far from being a traditional Caribbean heirloom sativa, more like a commercial hybrid from those developed for indoor and northern grows. This could make it even more attractive for certain growers though.

Old CBG's Panama at 17 weeks by Budular:

picture.php

CBG Panama, 85 days by JGL and still plenty of white hairs:

attachment.php

It seems most companies at some point realize people prefer faster flowering and more productive plants so they outcross their genetics in order to make them "more commercial" and never look back. After all not everyone is willing to grow 14+ week plants.

On the other hand, smell can give great hints about a plant, since most genetic families share the same chemotype... that's why Diesel family smells distinctive, so do the Blue family or the Haze hybrids. I've noticed most Caribbean landraces share a similar terpene fingerprint, I've found this same fingerprints on both Colombians, Panama, Jamaican Lambsbread, oldschool Mexicans and also the Hazes. Obviously because they all may have common genetic ancestors. An educated nose can definitely disclose interesting information, just like a chromatographer does when you compare chemotypes.

Dr Gt is not very trustworthy. I'd stick with ace and look through more phenos.

Maybe he has that reputation but on the other hand his Malawi Gold was one of the best versions ever released to the market... a true wild Malawi ganja that even felt superior to the versions from both Afropips and African Seeds. Afropips went down the road and was definitely selling some hybridized africans produced in the UK after some time, plants with compact structures and thick buds like some Nigerian I've seen or the purple Durban Poison we've recently seen here from Dave Coulier's DP reproduction (from an original Afropips pack):

picture.php

picture.php

So my guess is that they started over import P1 stock from Africa and when they run out of stocks, they started reproducing or outcrossing them in UK.

On the other hand, ACE's aren't exactly good representations of both Malawi or Panama NLD cultivars, many people feels the Malawi must have been hybridized somehow, as many people pointed out because of its compact, productive, frosty, purplish and sedating characteristics... and their Panama derives from the older stocks created by Charlie/CBG with their own twist.

Dr GT's Malawi:

picture.php

Besides Dr GT was selling mostly commercial based hybrids in order to get a living (because of the demand too), I was told by a Canadian guy who used to be his neighbourgh that he loved smoking sativas and wished he could sell those instead. He was also the originator of the renowned Canadian Oaxacan 1978 clone, after he travelled to Mexico and brough a bunch of seeds. He created the Niagara strain too with that one. Hear good stuff about Dr GT's Swazi too. Both were imported seeds actually.

Never grew his hybrids but aren't companies from nowadays basing all their catalogues on the same kind of chucking and selfing of clones?

Vibes.

geneva_sativa

I should clarify also. . . the Swazi I had from Dr GT was the Early Swazi Skunk IIRC. . . not the regular Swazi he had. . . and it was grown in partial shade, so wasn't best representation of it, am sure

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Quote Mustafunk: ''On the other hand, ACE's aren't exactly good representations of both Malawi or Panama cultivars, many people feels the Malawi must have been hybridized somehow, as many people pointed out because of its compact, productive, frosty, purplish and sedating characteristics... and their Panama derives from the older stocks created by Charlie/CBG with their own twist.''

How do you and 'Many People' know that ACE Malawi or Panama aren't exactly good representations of cultivars from those nations? Have you been to Panama and Malawi and sampled all the various types of cannabis available to have a clue?....I think not. So all this looks like is you trying to denigrate a breeder/seed seller, and I see this often when you post, particularly about ACE, is it because you have some sort of long standing grudge against that company, because it surely looks like it.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
picture.php
I Love pred one of my all time favs my 70s 1%cut is a real game changer lifetime keeper , I don't know about dr green thumb except what I hear heard throughout the years so have no opinion but will say his pic looks correct exactly like mine. Now I grew a bunch of ace panama, breeders packs etc, I got some nice plants good smoke but different, a lot of them had the panama funk n taste in them at different levels but the high on most was nothing like a South American sativa and the plants grew And finished very quick, I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants a South American sativa type but won't put in the time work love to make it to the finish line with the real. Most ppl won't care or know better and be happy as fuk with it. I wonder how many of today's growers n smokers even seen or smoked a true pure sativa .... sumthin about the time put in gives ya unique effects you just aren't gonna get in what's being considered sativa today...
My girl
Day 65
picture.php

Day 108 perfect fade
picture.php
picture.php

Don't get much better then this
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts