What's new

The Flu is MURDEROUS!..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Tonight my friend died. He was 60, a spry 60. He was in good health and had not been to or needed a doctor in years. He was not over weight, he was active, and he had big plans as he was a couple weeks from retirement. He just died from the flu.

He got sick 14 days ago.

He was taken to the ER tonight and died within hours.

Don't take this lightly, if you are sick, go to the Dr.

I wish I forced him to go. He kept telling me he felt better. Now I realized he was not even with it. They said his brain and organs we're severely damaged. How the fuck can this happen in 14 days???

I want to punch the fuck out of everything right now, but I will deal.

I just wanted other people to know this shit is real and can happen.

R.I.P My Friend.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very sorry to hear that Lester Beans my condolences, and your words are very wise it makes sense :huggg:

Lrus007

Veteran
sorry for your loss
i am just today feeling better been
over a month. is a bad one this year.
Lrus007

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sad to hear of your loss Lester the flu is wreaking havoc thru many nations presently, and those that get it should immediately seek professional help, particularly if you are older, or a child gets it.

Have I got Australian flu? Symptoms, how to treat flu yourself and when to see doctor
Australian flu continues to affect people across the UK - but how can you tell if you have the virus?

Australian flu is a virulent strain of influenza which is affecting people across the country.

This week it's been reported that almost three times as many people are dying of flu in the UK this winter compared to last.

GPs in Wales have also said they saw the number of cases of flu reported more than doubled in a week while reports in Ireland say it is "shaping up to be the country's worst flu crisis in 50 years".

Separate figures, released on Thursday by the Royal College of GPs, showed that more than 30,000 people visited a GP last week as a result of influenza-like illness, an increase of more than 9,000 compared with the first week of January.

Public health officials are urging people who are eligible for the free flu vaccination to "get it without delay". However, doctors have also said the flu vaccine offered 'no significant protection' for elderly people last year .

Australian flu is not the only strand affecting the UK, with two other strands - French and Japanese - also being reported. Japanese flu is said to be especially contagious, and to particularly affect children, but not as severe as Australian flu.

It's also the time of year when cases of colds and other illnesses rise, with many people not actually sure of the differences between the common cold and the flu . They may share some of the same symptoms, but the cold and flu are in fact caused by different viruses.

What is Australian flu?

The first thing to say is that Australian flu is essentially flu (influenza). There are two main types of flu - A and B. One of the strains of influenza circulating the UK this year is a type of A flu known as H3N2. And this is similar to the type that hit Australia in 2017. Dr Richard Pebody, acting head of respiratory diseases at Public Health England, said: "In Australia they saw excess mortality and other hospitalisations and so on due to H3N2."

What are the symptoms of Australian flu?

So while symptoms of most flu are similar, different strains can be more severe or contagious than others. This is the case with the H3N2 strain, which can cause problems for the elderly. One person struck down described how he had been left in bed and that his " eyes felt like someone had them in a vice ".

In reality, a doctor visit probably wouldn't distinguish between Australian flu and other types of flu and this would only be determined with tests.

The NHS says flu symptoms come on very quickly and can include:

a sudden fever – a temperature of 38C or above
aching body
feeling tired or exhausted
dry, chesty cough
sore throat
headache
difficulty sleeping
loss of appetite
diarrhoea or tummy pain
nausea and being sick
The symptoms are similar for children, but they can also get pain in their ear and appear less active.

How to treat flu yourself if you have flu
Most people will recover in about a week and won't need any specific treatment. To help you get better more quickly, the NHS advises you to:

rest and sleep
keep warm
take paracetamol or ibuprofen to lower your temperature and treat aches and pains
drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration (your pee should be light yellow or clear)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/have-got-australian-flu-symptoms-14156844

N

noyd666

we had it and it lasted over a month, first time I've caught it in years, had the jab but not strong enough, I see there bought out a stronger dose for next season. not good take care.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Wow, sorry mate. I didn't even know you could die from the flu.

MILLIONS of folks died during the world-wide flu epidemic during 1917-1918. a shitload of them in america died because the US govt was too busy fighting WW1. i've seen cemetaries in Alabama that had ROWS of childrens tombstones that all died over a 3 year period. the flu going around this year is odd in that most of the folks dying from it are reasonably young & fit...

St. Phatty

Usually in the winter, I don't get sick at all or sometimes for a 1/2 day.

This year, it was about 4 days. Whatever it was had an easier time slowing down my immune system.

Now I understand why people use those wipe towels on the shopping carts.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That's the part that gets me. It is serious business when a healthy man is wiped out in a mere two weeks.

The drs said he got the flu, his lungs began to fill, sepsis set in, in brain was then damaged and his organs began to be surrounded by fluid. He had strokes and his organs shut down. His mind was gone before that, to the point he thought he was getting better.

This is just for other people to be aware of. If you get sick, go to the Dr. Tough guys like my buddy ain't so tough when this kind of thing happens. Don't be a hero.

Love to the Icmag fam!

Easy7

Veteran
Get a flu shot

Wash hands, wash hands often, wash hands as soon as getting home from the public and don't touch your face

Use clean hand towels and if living with others, each use their own

Don't share drink or food or even cigs or joints

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Avoid children. The little petri dishes are killers. :)

That's easier said than done if you are a parent PW.

Flu is also spread thru the air.

Catching the Flu: NIOSH Research on Airborne Influenza Transmission.

As we enter another influenza season, one question continues to vex medical and public health professionals: How do you stop people from catching the flu?

The best way to prevent the flu is by getting an influenza vaccine every year. However, in the event of a large-scale influenza outbreak of a new virus strain or a pandemic, when influenza vaccine may not be promptly available, we will see tremendous demands on the health care system and its workers. Thus, it’s critical to understand how influenza is transmitted from person to person so that we can determine the best ways to protect health care workers while still enabling them to do their jobs.

The typical incubation period for influenza is 1-4 days (average: 2 days). Adults shed influenza virus from the day before symptoms begin through 5-10 days after illness onset. However, the amount of virus shed, and presumably infectivity, decreases rapidly by 3-5 days after onset in an experimental human infection model. Young children also might shed virus several days before illness onset, and children can be infectious for 10 or more days after onset of symptoms. Severely immunocompromised persons can shed virus for weeks or months.

Experts think influenza may be spread to uninfected people in three ways: large-particle respiratory droplet transmission, airborne transmission, and contact (or fomite) transmission. Most experts think that influenza viruses are spread mainly by large-particle respiratory droplets produced when people infected with influenza cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled. Transmission via large-particle droplets requires close contact between source and recipient persons, because droplets do not remain suspended in the air and generally travel only a short distance (usually less than 2 meters) through the air. Airborne transmission (via small particles suspended in the air for extended periods of time) also is thought to be possible, although data are limited. Less often, a person might also become infected with influenza by touching a surface or object that has influenza virus on it and then touching his or her own mouth or nose.

A better understanding of influenza transmission could help improve the infection control procedures and equipment used by health care workers. NIOSH has been conducting research for several years to learn more about the underlying science of influenza transmission, with a particular focus on airborne transmission and the protection of health care workers during a future pandemic. Here are some of the questions that are being addressed:

Is there a correlation between exposure to airborne influenza and illness among healthcare workers?

A combination of three approaches is being used to better understand worker exposure to influenza and its consequences. First, aerosol sampling will be conducted in a health care clinic. Second, the amount of genetic material (RNA) from influenza virus on surgical masks, respirators and gloves worn by health care workers and on the surfaces of equipment and furniture in the clinic will be measured. Third, the health status and any occurrences of influenza among the workers in the study will be monitored. This project is part of a large multi-hospital study to compare the relative effectiveness of surgical masks and respirators in preventing influenza among health care workers.

Can better methods be developed to detect infectious airborne influenza virus?

The current methods for determining the infectivity of influenza aren’t sensitive enough to work with the small amounts of virus in a typical aerosol sample. NIOSH researchers are developing new, more sensitive methods of measuring influenza virus viability. One technique is a hybrid system called a “viral replication assay” that combines PCR with a more traditional culture method for increased sensitivity. A second technique uses genetically modified cells that glow faintly when they are infected with the influenza virus. This luminescence can be detected using standard laboratory equipment.

How well do different types of personal protective equipment perform under different exposure scenarios?

To explore this, NIOSH researchers constructed a simulated medical examination room containing a custom-built coughing machine that can cough an influenza-laden aerosol into the room much like a patient would, and a breathing machine that can simulate a health care worker treating the patient. The breathing machine can be outfitted with personal protective equipment (PPE), such as surgical masks, respirators, face shields, and powered air-purifying respirators (PAPRs). The simulated exam room is now being used to study how well different types of PPE and combinations of PPE protect from large spray droplets and small aerosol particles at shorter and longer distances.

Researchers at NIOSH have presented their work at scientific and public health conferences, and several articles have been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Information on NIOSH influenza research and influenza-related Health Hazard Evaluations can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/flu/transmission.html and http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/flu/hhe-projects.html. In addition, the CDC provides a comprehensive set of guidelines for preventing transmission of influenza in healthcare settings at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/healthcaresettings.htm.

William G. Lindsley, PhD

Dr. Lindsley is a Research Biomedical Engineer in the NIOSH Health Effects Laboratory Division.

Kankakee

My pop's just got of of hospital after entering emergency w/ oxygen levels in 70's ....He has COPD and was on Oxygen for last 14 yrs. They said its going bonkers over last 3 weeks and the flu shots are no good against it ...

He had flu and touch of pneumonia but slowly recovering. My nephews had been over the previous week coughing etc they had him on Tamiflu but he had bad reaction with lip swelling but not sure what they put him on after that. They did have him getting nebulizer treatments every six hours ....

Mick

Veteran
I don't want to get into the "vaccinate or not to vaccinate" thing, but multi dose vials of flu vaccine contain Thimerosal, which is an ethel mercury based preservative. Mercury is very toxic. The idea of injecting anything toxic into my body gives me the heebie jeebies.

St. Phatty

Get a flu shot

I would say it's healthier to not get a flu shot.

A 1/2 hour shopping trip at Walmart, or a night at the opera, or just being a school teacher or toll taker might accomplish a similar goal - to expose your immune system to active viruses.

Then, if you need it, you rest.

If I understand it right, people who catch this particular strain of flu and then recover have some antibody-related resistance to the virus.