What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male vs female, does it really matter?

Superauto

When you crossbreed two different strains and try to improve the genetics you already have from the original seeds, does it matter from what strain you got the pollen and which is the female?
Or will a mostly indica dominant Northern Lights automatic(I only do autoflowers) male crossed with a sativa dominant Amnesia Haze automatic female give a significant different result than a Northern Light female crossed with a Amnesia Haze male?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To speculate is useless...

The fact that you cannot get a male & a female from the same pack of seeds that have an identical genotype should answer your question.

In short... Yes your selection matters.

djonkoman

Veteran
theoretically, no not really.

there could be some sex-linked genes(genes located on one of the sex chromosomes), but it's only a small chance that happens to be the gene for some trait we're interested in.

the other thing that is different is the mitochondrial dna. mtDNA gets inherited from the mother only. I'm assuming it's the same for chloroplasts(the pollen only transfers it's nucleus, while the female egg also has everything outside the nucleus, so all the dna located outside the nucleus comes from the mother's side)

but again, I don't think you'll often run into an interesting trait that's located in the mtDNA or chloroplast dna. it's possible though.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
my friend on here did i think the cross was mss x abusive and he did abusive x mss, you would think the seeds would grow similar but voth crosses were different even though the parents were the same and switched around, somehow the genetics combined differently, make the seeds and try, then put it in the forum,, grow on p

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To be clear...

According to Sam Skunkman...
There are NO sex linked traits in cannabis.

These ain't chickens!

Easy7

Veteran
With mammals and I am not certain about plants, male or female genetics is associated with certain traits. Like baldness usually comes from a male for male baldness and vice versa for female baldness. There are a host of other examples but I do not understand very well.

Plants with an excellent heritage and are themselves a good example is about all we can do without genetic analysis. As always the prodigany grown out ismthe real test.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will select for the best female and cross it to the best male anyway. So what was the question about?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
plants do not have different genomes for male and female expression, they have one genome with one or a few of the genes deciding if it a male or female or inbetween, so the combination of male and female should not matter one bit.
Anecdotally, some breeders do think that it makes a difference, but scientifically i don't see how it can be possible.

VG

Easy7

Veteran
I do not believe it's well understood, if indeed that it exists that there is genetic association with sex of the parent, in cannabis. That's something future generations of humans can explore.

Best tip is several outstanding parents of both sexes and line. Lot's of new work is bottlenecked.

Jonny Lan

THIS IS FACT it would defend on the stability of the genetics. if the genetics are true breeding then it won't matter, if they are not then not all males will be similar nor will the females and then it will make a difference which ones u use.

ahortator

Veteran
Yes, I copy and paste the link but it doesn't work. So I have copied the cache link.

If it doesn't work properly you can do this search in Goolge: plos one cannabis sex chromosomes

troutman

Seed Whore
According to Rob Clarke in his book called Cannabis, Evolution and Ethnobotany there is a difference and it's the male that determines the maturity.
If pollen comes from early flowering males that are either ignored or removed after pollen dehiscence, the pollen should carry the genes for early maturation, and plants in the subsequent generation will tend to flower earlier than previously. On the other hand, if pollen comes from late-flowering males that escaped detection, it should carry genes for late male flowering, and males in the subsequent generation will flower later (Clarke personal observations).

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ thats not what Clarke is saying. He is saying that if you use pollen from earlier flowering males in the population, it will give progeny with earlier flowering males.. and late flowering males will give progeny with later flowering males.
he is not saying that specifically males determine maturity .
thats just about male selection and not really anything to with the OP's question.

VG

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ I was only talking about flowering times and not the overall quality of the plants.

Sorry if my post came off wrong. :tiphat:

meizzwang

While we're slightly off topic, FWIW, I had 2 females from an F3 line pollinated by the same male from that same F3 line. One female flowered early, the other flowered later. The earlier flowering female produced offspring that flowered earlier in general, whereas the later flowering females produced offspring that flowered later in general.

troutman

Seed Whore
Sorry for being very off topic but can anyone tell me how to edit a post?

Sadly you can't edit your posts until you actually make 50 posts.

Then you will also be able to Privately Message (PM) people.

So make sure you avoid typos for now.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts