What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ORGANIC VS INORGANIC. The great debate.

brown_thumb

Oh the agony... oh the humanity of it all... I'm so damn kunfyoozed!!

I hate getting old... losing my cognitive plasticity... losing short-term memory...

Where's that effing EASY BUTTON?!?!

Homebrewer

Veteran
I've done both. I've settled into the use of complete NPK plant foods with microbes and an organic-ish additive. Between all my switches, tweaks, and changes, not a single patient could ever tell a difference between organic, inorganic, or a hybrid method.

M

metsäkana

Inorganic nitrogen fertilizers are mostly synthesized by the Haber-Bosch Process and the high yields achieved by modern agriculture are only possible because of the worldwide use of inorganic nitrogen fertilizers. Almost 100 million tons of nitrogen fertilizer per year are now needed every year to maintain this output – more than ten times the amount used in 1961.

The Haber-Bosch Process

The Haber-Bosch Process has been called the most important invention of the 20th century – detonating the population explosion and driving the world’s population from 1.6 billion in 1900 to 7 billion in 2011 – but it is a double-edged sword.
In order to feed the world’s population we are locked into an artificial chemical process that has numerous detrimental effects on the Earth System.
Less than half of the nitrogen provided by chemical fertilizers are utilized by plants and the remaining nitrogen leaches into the soil and freshwater bodes where causes enormous damage to wildlife.
Runoff into the oceans also causes marine plankton to multiply in enormous quantities resulting in ‘blooms’ and ‘red tides’, but the billions of plankton deplete the oxygen, causing mass mortality of the plankton and other marine life. The United Nations has identified these dead zones as one of the most significant environmental threats facing the world with some reaching more than 70,000 square kilometer in size.
Chemical fertilizers also contributes to greenhouse gases as the unabsorbed nitrogen fertilizer volatizes as nitrous oxide – a greenhouse gas that is 200 to 300 times more effective in trapping heat than carbon dioxide.
So in order to feed the world’s population of more than seven billion people we are locked into an artificial chemical process that has numerous detrimental effects on the Earth System.
Is there a way out of this trap we have made for ourselves?

this is why i started growing organic years ago :D i had 2, 100l wilmas that needed emptying i was thinking where that shit goes.. i guess in advanced countries might try to clean that water before releasing it to ocean .. bubble it with bacteria so it turns to nitrogengas and then try to filter rest but some of it still gets there.. also i guess makin them require extra steps ... and in guerilla growing leaching too much.. guerilla i think organic super soil also works better :)

green404

What is "organic" gov certified ? groovey hippy certified ? hairy angry lesbian certified ?

Is artificial hps light run by a coal burning plant "organic" ? Plastic pots ? 3m nylon tents ?

I bet picky consumers could not tell the organic between non-organic and organic grown side by side labeled the same. Most of it is a consumer ego game and a feel good purchase.

brown_thumb

These days, the nanny state will just label all public bathrooms "Organic", "Inorganic", "Uni-Organic", "Multi-Organic", and "Omni-Organic". Problem solved. There will be no more confusing master-debating.

Sativan

What you say is very true but organic growers want you to think there's "magic" in their gardens. There's no magic to organic gardening. To me it's the slow method of getting nutrients into your plants. I don't see any advantage of waiting for nutrients to become available as materials break down.

The advantage of synthetic nutrients is over whelming and obvious.
Organic cannabis is not stronger, but it does taste better. To me the advantages of organic growing are outweighed by the added time and expense required to succeed at organic growing.

Bottom line is the end product is only slightly improved for all of the extra effort required for organic growing.

G

Gr33nSanta

One large SIP filled with vermicasting and perlite . Fill reservoir with tap water once a week. How hard can it be!? Oh yeah, once plants take off in a SIP they act like they are on steroids. Best of both world, near hydroponic growth with organics.

You can definitely tell grass fed vs feed fed beef for sure.

Also, it was easier to tell when the ferts helped the plants simple put on more water weight. Now they're getting better at hiding it. But I guess the thing is, what chronic issues do you have that make you look like death at 65 when that health freak who eats organic is climbing mountains. I guess you could argue that we'll they didn't have the injuries that I did. Or maybe they're more resilient. But at the end of the day you can't tell a lot of stuff without a microscope but oh how far we've come when we reacted to the tools we create

xet

Scientists watch bacteria 'harpoon' DNA to speed their evolution

Although scientists were aware that pili play a role in DNA uptake, Dalia said that direct evidence demonstrating how they work was lacking until this study. In order to observe pili in action, the scientists used a new method invented at IU to "paint" both the pili and DNA fragments with special glowing dyes.

The team who developed the new method to label pili with dyes was led by IU Distinguished Professor Yves Brun and IU Ph.D. student Courtney Ellison.

The new study uses these dyes to reveal that pili act like microscopic "harpooners" that cast their line through pores in the cell's wall to "spear" a stray piece of DNA at the very tip. The pili then "reel" the DNA into the bacterial cell through the same pore.

Dalia said the pore is so small that the DNA would need to fold in half to fit through the opening in the cell.

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-scientists-bacteria-harpoon-dna-evolution.html

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Use of the word organic (or any variation of that word) on any product label is now going to be false or misleading unless the National Organic Program (the federal regulatory program governing organic food) “authorizes organic designation and certification for cannabis and the cannabis or cannabis product meets the requirements for such designation and certification.”
:laughing:
http://abovethelaw.com/2018/07/california-agencies-release-proposed-permanent-marijuana-rules/

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Also I wonder what the difference in IPM costs would be from an organic garden vs a hydro grow

recycled living soil is exponentially cheaper especially IPM but you must keep in mind effective IPM in living soil without chemical based pesticides/fungicides is that to be properly effective you must be proactive and use it correctly

this is the learning curve most people irrationally fear and not because there isn't really a learning curve but rather the inorganic methods of control can still be applied in the process of learning and the results will be benefit of old knowledge with the benefit of new knowledge

I haven't read this whole thread but I read the first few months. I agree with people that 80 - 90% percent of quality of terpenes, cured bud or hash comes from the genetics of the plant. There is a reason certain strains are highly coveted and have a higher market value.
Although I am out of the industry at this point and just do a few outside for head stash I spent a good chunk of my life dedicated to growing good weed. I have grown in a lot of systems, inside, outside greenhouse in a range of scales from 1-2 plants to decent sized indoor rooms that I owned and operated, to 1+ acre greenhouses that I was employed at as a consultant for IPM programs and helping to design fertilizer regiments.

I have done soiless with IO liquid fertilizers, Coco with drip that fed up to once an hour, in the ground organic, raised beds (soiless due to mediums being peet or coco based) inside with all O inputs, raised beds inside with mostly IO inputs, hybrid systems with IO and ACT or nutrient teas.

One thing I have to say is the proof is in the pudding. When you grow the exact same strain in the same system just changing the inputs to all O and the flavor and smell is noticeably better to you and everyone who tries it, plus it stores better in the long term you know there is something about O inputs and a living soil system that helps the plant reach its full genetic potential.

O gardening farming is not maybe as straight forward as IO due to the types of fertilizer that are used but to me it turned out easier and more rewarding. I was able to get equivalent yields with superior product in O production with lower cost inputs due to being able to reuse the soil and reduce the amount of inputs each run.

I have shut down my rooms and now I have an insane vegetable garden using the same soil I used for years in an indoor grow room.

To me not having to worry about my soil pH and ppms in my reservoir was a huge stress reliever. I know some organic gardeners still worry about pH and it was something I thought about when growing but I loved the fact that my soil buffered everything and just got better round after round.

I also loved that the smell and flavor were far superior to almost any other product that came around. It was just a bonus that I could store it for six months and when I showed somebody the product they assumed it was a new batch...

G

Gr33nSanta

Craft microgroweries = organic
Large scale CannAg = synthetic

Terroir vs generic

Tell me which of those 2 will give you the best experience?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I haven't read this whole thread but I read the first few months. I agree with people that 80 - 90% percent of quality of terpenes, cured bud or hash comes from the genetics of the plant. There is a reason certain strains are highly coveted and have a higher market value.
Although I am out of the industry at this point and just do a few outside for head stash I spent a good chunk of my life dedicated to growing good weed. I have grown in a lot of systems, inside, outside greenhouse in a range of scales from 1-2 plants to decent sized indoor rooms that I owned and operated, to 1+ acre greenhouses that I was employed at as a consultant for IPM programs and helping to design fertilizer regiments.

I have done soiless with IO liquid fertilizers, Coco with drip that fed up to once an hour, in the ground organic, raised beds (soiless due to mediums being peet or coco based) inside with all O inputs, raised beds inside with mostly IO inputs, hybrid systems with IO and ACT or nutrient teas.

One thing I have to say is the proof is in the pudding. When you grow the exact same strain in the same system just changing the inputs to all O and the flavor and smell is noticeably better to you and everyone who tries it, plus it stores better in the long term you know there is something about O inputs and a living soil system that helps the plant reach its full genetic potential.

O gardening farming is not maybe as straight forward as IO due to the types of fertilizer that are used but to me it turned out easier and more rewarding. I was able to get equivalent yields with superior product in O production with lower cost inputs due to being able to reuse the soil and reduce the amount of inputs each run.

I have shut down my rooms and now I have an insane vegetable garden using the same soil I used for years in an indoor grow room.

To me not having to worry about my soil pH and ppms in my reservoir was a huge stress reliever. I know some organic gardeners still worry about pH and it was something I thought about when growing but I loved the fact that my soil buffered everything and just got better round after round.

I also loved that the smell and flavor were far superior to almost any other product that came around. It was just a bonus that I could store it for six months and when I showed somebody the product they assumed it was a new batch...

Sums up the way I feel just about right.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I am still dumbfounded by the perpetuation of ignorance in regards to cannabis and soil interactions. The differences are vast, even some seed manufacturer's list the difference in terpene expression (some strains in soil expressed terpenes they did not express in a hydro regime) in various techs.

Sadly so many growers are more certain about "organics" than science and that pretty much underscores the depth of misinformation here

Production and Diversity of Volatile Terpenes from Plants on Calcareous and Siliceous Soils: Effect of Soil Nutrients

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10886-008-9515-2

Journal Article Out Of The Quagmire Of Plant Defense Hypotheses

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/367580?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Several hypotheses, mainly Optimal Defense (OD), Carbon:Nutrient Balance (CNB), Growth Rate (GR), and Growth‐Differentiation Balance (GDB), have individually served as frameworks for investigating the patterns of plant defense against herbivores, in particular the pattern of constitutive defense. The predictions and tests of these hypotheses have been problematic for a variety of reasons and have led to considerable confusion about the state of the “theory of plant defense.” The primary contribution of the OD hypothesis is that it has served as the main framework for investigation of genotypic expression of plant defense, with the emphasis on allocation cost of defense. The primary contribution of the CNB hypothesis is that it has served as the main framework for investigation of how resources affect phenotypic expression of plant defense, often with studies concerned about allocation cost of defense. The primary contribution of the GR hypothesis is that it explains how intrinsic growth rate of plants shaped evolutionarily by resource availability affects defensive patterns. The primary contribution of the expanded GDB hypothesis is that it recognizes the constant physiological tradeoff between growth and differentiation at the cellular and tissue levels relative to the selective pressures of resource availability, including explicitly taking into account plant tolerance of damage by enemies. A clearer understanding of these hypotheses and what we have learned from investigations that use them can facilitate development of well‐designed experiments that address the gaps in our knowledge of plant defense.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The biggest problem as I see it is people expect there to be an easy solution to understanding something as complex as soil to plant interactions. Experience that can't be had without a learning curve so it makes binary thinkers see it as a choice between a quality they can't qualify for themselves or expected output for which they already have a use for, primarily as a source of enrichment.

Latest posts

Latest posts