What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerilla Growing and (Wireless) Trail Cams?

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Howdy yall!

Just had a question for anyone who has used or is using a wireless trail cam.

I see that you have to set up a monthly deal with AT&T for around like $10.00 per month.*

I am in Eastern Ky which you guys know is an illegal state where growing is plentiful but also is frowned upon. I am planning on purchasing some wireless trail cams around my grow which is pretty large. In case the choppers spot it and decide to stake it out, I will see them before they see me and know whether or not thieves or hunters come into contact with the grow as well.

Knowing that you have to set up an at&t account do you think its safe to use this for an illegal grow op? Do you think AT&T would see these photos and report them? Is there another way around doing this wireless without compromising location, identity or security?

I desperately need some good advice here. Thanks!

:tiphat:

OldPhart

Do you really want pictures of you doing something illegal, not to mention you want to take them? I know I laugh my ass off when pictures show up on the internet of someone doing something stupid, and the cops use the peoples' own pictures against them. I know this isn't the same as posting pics, but still just the fact that they exist. Not to mention, you are talking cellular. Nothing like surrounding your grow with GPS receivers. Sorry, I know not helpful, just a reality check. Any means of doing some form of Wifi to transfer the data off the cameras? Although this is also broadcasting your location to anyone that happens to be looking for wireless signals. I would forgo the cameras, just for plausible deniability; no sense in giving them hard proof, if things happen to get to that pitch.

N

NewAgeGenetics

Do you really want pictures of you doing something illegal, not to mention you want to take them? I know I laugh my ass off when pictures show up on the internet of someone doing something stupid, and the cops use the peoples' own pictures against them. I know this isn't the same as posting pics, but still just the fact that they exist. Not to mention, you are talking cellular. Nothing like surrounding your grow with GPS receivers. Sorry, I know not helpful, just a reality check. Any means of doing some form of Wifi to transfer the data off the cameras? Although this is also broadcasting your location to anyone that happens to be looking for wireless signals. I would forgo the cameras, just for plausible deniability; no sense in giving them hard proof, if things happen to get to that pitch.
have to agree! I bought a deer cam but I don't think that I'll use it next to plants.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
@MountainBudz cant you just buy some simple loaded sim cards from some shitty kwik e mart place anonymously?

dont aim the camera at plants, aim it at a bait item beside the grow. send pics to a burner.

perhaps a way of doing it without a camera would be to go to your local hunting and home security shops, see what motion detectors they have.

crazy talk= hollow out a shovel, place a gprs inside, leave at site.

if the gprs cordinates change you know some one visited

some high value item instead of a shovel.

buy local, remove id number off items just in case.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I wouldn't even think about taking a wi-fi device anywhere near my hidden gardens!

Several years ago I did use a couple of regular picture taking game cams, just to alert me if any hikers or potential rippers ever came near my spot..

I very quickly got them out of there when one day I discovered my own picture on it which I had forgotten to delete....

MountainBudz

Thanks guys for all of the info. I have used game cameras for years now but never the wireless ones. Its cellular signal transmitted and received, no wifi. It is 3g cameras i'm looking at.

Bud, I also did the same the very first year I had them. I never put them directly on the plants but instead I out them on the outside areas so i can see all angles but not specifically the plants in the photos. But now I always walk in behind them and turn them off before I continue on into my grow. Not once in 6 years have I had accidentally got myself on camera since the first time I did so.

I really just need them in the area and not directly on the plants. I understand the gps coordinates on the cam but no wifi.

Maybe I should just skip the wireless cams and use what I have always used?

MountainBudz

By the way if I ever use a cam directly on the plants it would be very high up in the trees. Also I never expose my face and body in the grow. At the rate of plants and numbers I grow I have always took that precaution. Always visit with face covered, arms covered and even hands sometimes.

MountainBudz

A lot of times I walk up behind my cams and reach around with a piece of duct tape and put over the lens instead of dealing with the hassle of turning them off every time. That has always worked for me.