What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help,I'm going mad

kikike

Hello everyone,im an absolute beginner and asking kindly for any sort of idea whats going on with my grow.it just drives me mad.I never thought it would but now I constantly think of the problem trying to educate myself..etc.its robbing my life.
So the problem is that my seedlings are very tiny.I watched many videos looked at countless pics on the web,and seedlings the same age as mines are significantly more developed and larger.I fear that I simply waste energy.the setup is fairly normal:1m×1m×2m tent,average flowersoil,temp is about 28-30celsius,dont know the humidity,and a 400w mh lamp.it goes 18/6.
The seedlings look healthy to me just too tiny.they are about 18 days old since popped out of soil.my question is obvious:are the ok?whats the problem if there is any.please help!

Attachments

• 20170528_195050.jpg
    20170528_195050.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170528_195104.jpg
    20170528_195104.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170528_195115.jpg
    20170528_195115.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170528_195136.jpg
    20170528_195136.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 10

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
It looks like soil, which I am not familiar with, but could be over watering. In coco you let it go a little dry before watering, to encourage root growth.

w3rds

As long as they are growing, they are fine. There could be plenty of reasons why theyre small. Ive had some that grew large leaves before the next set came in, others grew multiple small nodes before I saw any large leaves. I dont know your soil, but if youre at18 days and they are still that small, id start adding my nitrogen to help with your veg growth. the light yellow could be lack of nutrient or the light being too close.

troutman

Seed Whore
Get one of those humidity gauge things (aka hydrometer).

Low humidity below 50% in vegetative mode makes for really slow growing.

Could be something else but that's one thing to rule out once you get the gauge.

pH is the next thing you can check.

Loc Dog

Veteran
As long as they are growing, they are fine. There could be plenty of reasons why theyre small. Ive had some that grew large leaves before the next set came in, others grew multiple small nodes before I saw any large leaves. I dont know your soil, but if youre at18 days and they are still that small, id start adding my nitrogen to help with your veg growth. the light yellow could be lack of nutrient or the light being too close.

Yes a 400 MH for seedlings is way too much light. I grow from clone cuts and start with CFL, and go to T5's through early veg, till about 2 foot.

I have no idea how to feed soil, since coco is inert.

B

bigganjabud

Yeah too much light and soil? I'm no mud messer but looks like that soil is way to hot aswell

What soil is it? If it ain't seedling potting soil ya probly fucked up

Cvh

Supermod
I don't see a problem. Don't worry I think you are still good.
If they are still that size after another 4 weeks then you might have a problem.
For seedlings being 2,5 weeks old they look normal in size to me.
Growth will increase exponentionally the next weeks.

Just don't go overwatering and overfeeding them now.

Maybe for the next run you can try growing in Coco with an PH perfect nutrient line. This will give you results that comes near growing in hydro and with a PH perfect nutrients line you don't have to worry about PH. Coco will react also very fast to changes in nutrients so you can adjust easily. Overwatering is also not a big risk in coco.

Last edited:

kikike

Thanks very much guys for the replies! Leaves arent yellow,nice green.just probably the pic doesnt show well.so shall i raise the light? The temp is about right at the plant level though.2 seedlings got new plagron lightmix soil which is from growshop,should be perfect for canna.the ph of the water was around 8 when i checked since then i lowered it with a bit of lemon juice allthough im not watering much.also did not feed at all.shall i give the the plagron grow nutrients allready?how can i make the enviroment more humid?theres allready a bowl of water inside.maybe switch of the circulating fan inside the tent?i

kikike

So i put in a wet towel inside the tent ph of the soil should be ok and also raised the lights.now its more then a meter above the plants.Didnt feed the plants yet with nutrients.the soil must have what they need for now.I hope for the best.I havent been smoking for over a year now,and it looks like I wont in the bear future if nothing changes..��the most interesting part is that the plants still looking healthy even though i changed the soil under 2 of them to the professional one.

troutman

Seed Whore
As for temps. If you place your hand at the top of the plant and the
light warms to your hand. Raise the light. Otherwise, the light is not
too close.

BTW: I start plants under fluorescents before exposing them to MH of HPS.

A moist towel hanging in a tent will drive the humidity up.

So will light misting around the pots on the tent floor from time to time.

:tiphat:

Easy7

Veteran
Sober up and study for a decade if you are serious.

Honestly the laws are so serious, it's a big deterrent.

To know how to have grows and the control to see them thru is a major skill. Some people have luck and most run into major problems.

It helps learning and control to be sober. Growing is growing and using is using. Seems like a lot of fun to mix them up.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My input... soil too dense . Needs perlite for aeration. Probably too hot a mix, hence yellowing and maybe by over-watering. They don't grow well under those elements.

Speed of green

The more information you can include will help to identify the issue.

The ph is too high at 8, and lowering it with lemon juice is only temporary in most cases, it will begin to rise eventually.

watering at this stage should be very minimal, if the container is heavy then the soil is too saturated, if the container cannot drain properly then that is also a problem.

the ideal situation for plants and roots to grow is a slightly moist root zone, like a spongy cake, and 74-80 degrees F... Try to get your ph to the mid 6's this is more than likely your reason for slow growth.

Think of a plant like an engine and the PH like the fuel, some engines take gasoline, some engines take diesel, no matter how much gas you give a diesel engine it wont run properly.

if your pot is heavy and you havent watered in a while then it is more than likely overwatered. A good way to gauge when you should water for beginners is to fill the same size pot as your plant with dry soil, then wait until your plants pot is only slightly heavier than the empty pot to water.

if your plant is very saturated, you can gently take the plant from the pot and set it on some dryer soil to wick away the moisture.

Good luck and most of all stay positive, ive killed 1000's of plants making mistakes and learning. its part of the game, and it gets easier with experience.

Loc Dog

Veteran
The more information you can include will help to identify the issue.

The ph is too high at 8, and lowering it with lemon juice is only temporary in most cases, it will begin to rise eventually.

watering at this stage should be very minimal, if the container is heavy then the soil is too saturated, if the container cannot drain properly then that is also a problem.

the ideal situation for plants and roots to grow is a slightly moist root zone, like a spongy cake, and 74-80 degrees F... Try to get your ph to the mid 6's this is more than likely your reason for slow growth.

Think of a plant like an engine and the PH like the fuel, some engines take gasoline, some engines take diesel, no matter how much gas you give a diesel engine it wont run properly.

if your pot is heavy and you havent watered in a while then it is more than likely overwatered. A good way to gauge when you should water for beginners is to fill the same size pot as your plant with dry soil, then wait until your plants pot is only slightly heavier than the empty pot to water.

if your plant is very saturated, you can gently take the plant from the pot and set it on some dryer soil to wick away the moisture.

Good luck and most of all stay positive, ive killed 1000's of plants making mistakes and learning. its part of the game, and it gets easier with experience.

He can get a PH meter from e-bay for about 10 bucks, the yellow and black ones. Should also get 4 and 7 test solution. I only used 7, and when batteries went weak, kept adjusting to 7, and was way off. If it tests at 4 and 7 you know readings are correct.

Again my experience is all coco, flood and drain hydro, and RDWC.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
KiKike, Honestly I would start over instead of trying to fix a mistake that could effect you to harvest and deliver poor results. There is no super tuning a seedling. You have received some decent input and some totally bunk garbage by people who obviously don't know what they are talking about. There is no equal to knowledge and experience. You didn't mention what genetics you are using, and or the breeder. Many growers buy poor genetics chasing a name and not quality. I germinate in a 8" pot under 600 watt HPS and three LED screw-ins. Keep your soil simple and don't add any nutrients. Babies start out on breast milk not whiskey cokes. Go to Mandala seeds website. They have an information page that covers from germination to harvest. It's about seven pages long and has more information there than many books do. It is also spot on for successful growing. There aren't any short cuts to being a good grower. Study and failure are great teachers. The real truth is there are very few true breeders and a ton of pollen chuckers. That have 50 strains and most are sold out never to return. Because they can't reproduce the genetics. I highly recommend Ace seeds and their vendors. Also DJ Short, Chimera and Mandala seeds. They are true and top notch breeders. Don't chase the latest greatest names you here about. Tomorrow it will change to something else. I wish you well. Peace

kikike

Thanks for the replies again,im trying my best with these seedlings(which are nice green not yellow at all) but in the meantime I have also planted some new seed in a special grow shop cannabis soil.my main problem is now how to make good water.in regards of ph and EC/ppm.

Andyo

Veteran
water analysis

water analysis

Look on your local water companys web site should be analysis results

Then post the analysis with out company details .A

potty1

Just don't water till they dry out for now.
Don't feed as there is plenty in the soil until they're bigger.
At this stage it's all happening below the soil.the plant will be establishing roots.
Growth will soon come.

kikike

I found some info from the tapwater in my house.it is the bottom row.anything interesting there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-29-13-05-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-29-13-05-24.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9

Andyo

Veteran
medium hard water

medium hard water

I found some info from the tapwater in my house.it is the bottom row.anything interesting there?

Ok you have medium hard water ec almost 0.4
excess Iron*
excess manganese

Id say the iron level is a problem
And ph

a small reverse osmosis unit would fix that.A