What's new

Leaves wrinkling and curling on healthy organic plants

blackg0d

Hello there,

With another year of cultivating beauty, comes another year of new obstacles to decipher.

These ladies are all-organic, mostly fed naturally, instead of bottled nutes. We mixed our own soil with native soil, 7% g&b compost, 7% worm castings, and 7% red lava rock. We have fed them mostly compost extracts with castings, indingenous humus/IMO's, humic acid, insect frass, liquid kelp, and liquid fish. They have been sprayed with compost extracts a couple times per week as well. They have had a good amount of cold nights in previous weeks, although they are under plastic so they havent been rained on. What is up with this crazy leaf wrinkling and curling on the new growth? Fungus? Pests? Root problems?

Attachments

• IMG_9341.jpg
    IMG_9341.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9343.jpg
    IMG_9343.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 13

blackg0d

Hello there,

With another year of cultivating beauty, comes another year of new obstacles to decipher.

These ladies are all-organic, mostly fed naturally, instead of bottled nutes. We mixed our own soil with native soil, 7% g&b compost, 7% worm castings, and 7% red lava rock. We have fed them mostly compost extracts with castings, indingenous humus/IMO's, humic acid, insect frass, liquid kelp, and liquid fish. They have been sprayed with compost extracts a couple times per week as well. They have had a good amount of cold nights in previous weeks, although they are under plastic so they havent been rained on. What is up with this crazy leaf wrinkling and curling on the new growth? Fungus? Pests? Root problems?

Too much nitrogen? Def scope for pests. Broad mites cause weird twisted leaf growth.

I wouldnt think so, our npk's are mostly coming from the soil, and we have only fed them a handful of times. However the soil ph tested pretty acidic, around 5.2. I have heard that ph isnt a huge problem with organic living soil because the microbea self-regulate it? Any input is appreciated :tiphat:

Jhhnn

Veteran
I saw a little of that with my indoor grow, organic soil, so I'm following along. I have no idea but my plants got past it.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
If It isn't overfeeding, and scoping comes up clean and ph is 5.2 that's probably all it is.

I think you are correct there BakedBandit. If the problem persists after correcting ph then report back and i'll do my best to help.

blackg0d

From my understanding, I thought a pH problem would show itself as a nutrient deficiency of some sort as a result of the PH not allowing certain nutrients to uptake. This doesn't look anything like that. Ive heard a few mentions of broad mites, I'm leaning towards that.

Dr_Parvo

I think its' overwatering

I think its' overwatering

I've noticed some of my fan leaves in the veg room are rolling up into tight little "pinwheels". Looking closely, it seems like one side of the fan leaf takes a hard curve and pulls the rest of the leaf around in a spiral-like shape.

IIRC, this is due to overwatering. Too much water prevents the plant from taking in Magnesium, a lack of which causes the leaves to curl. Someone please correct me if I have this confused with something else.

It also makes sense to me because I know lately the other grower in our facility has been trying to water as heavy as possible to get the ladies all on the same schedule. He is largely ignorant of growing knowledge and relies instead on colloquial wives' tales and "common" sense.

Two days after he started this, I noticed the pinwheels. I have only found this on super-wet plants, never dry ones.

JimiTheGent

Thanks OP and everyone else.

So for the last week I've been watching my plants thinking they might have some kind of deficiency.

This thread was the closest to what I spotted on like three fan leaves.

Soil: Happy Frog and Ancient Forrest 80/20

Strains: Alien Cookies, Platinum Bubba

4/18/17 I sprayed with Neem Oil and some left over "Don't Bug Me" and they didn't like it. I blame the old DBM for that... soon after I noticed the deformed fan leaf then on another, I blame myself and the mix for that.

4/29/17 they were transplanted to 1gal pots and topped 4 days later.

The last couple weeks I've been watching them and it hasn't spread anymore or to the Platinum which is right next to her.

BakeBandit scared the Sh*t out of me with the Broad Mite comment! 7yrs of cultivating and never heard of BM's, so thanks for putting us up on game with that...Did my research but hopefully that isn't the problem my new growth is healthy on both plants but you never know?

Here are some pics: AC left PBK right

Attachments

• AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 002.jpg
    AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 10
  • AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 004.jpg
    AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 004.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 005.jpg
    AlienCookies_PlatinumBubba_5-2017 005.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts