What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self Pollination?

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Howdy folks, I will begin this thread by saying I am not a breeder by any means and don't really know a thing about it other than a few basics, however I am an experienced grower and have been growing indoor and guerilla in the appalachia for over 13 years. Although I have recently wanted to start educating myself and experimenting with breeding.

I came here with a question for those of you that are experienced with breeding, here goes...

I ran an outdoor guerilla this past season and out of the 30-40 strains I ran, I had one that really REALLY stood out. She was a Sugar Punch bred by ones name I shall not mention on the forums... But i'm sure you catch the wave?

Anyway, this was the most potent bud I have came across in years and had the best yield, mold resistance, pest resistance, bag appeal, smell, potency and all. This was also determined by everyone that got to sample her as well.

Anyway, the plant yielded around a pound and was put out in almost purely native soil late in the season. Out of all that bud I had 4 seeds and there was NO males in this area and the plant was by itself. I lost one seed and the other three I germed about 3 months ago and 2 were male, one was female. I'm assuming it self pollinated and produced these seeds.

In two weeks flower currently and so far looks, smells identical to the mother and by the looks of the structure it seems as if it is gonna have some huge colas and potential to be my staple strain for indoor and out for a while and I also wanna work with it when I learn to breed a bit.

So my question is basically, what is the probability that this plant will be and is an exact replica of its mother? Like I said, they seem identical to me. Thanks for reading!
:tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
if you've seen males in the offspring, it's unlikely that it was self fertilized
you would have fem seed, which doesn't produce males often
i won't say never, because that has been seen, i've seen it once myself
but much less common than females
now if the males were kind of strange, maybe that would be possible

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'll second the thoughts of igrowone. Males do not typically show in seeds from self-pollinated plants. :)
edit: Male *flowers* often show... lol but that's not what we're talking about here. ;)

MountainBudz

I am almost 100% positive that there was not any males in this area. I know the entire area well and all of my plants were from clone or female seed and never had to cull any of them due to any type of problems (males, hermies, etc) so if this is rare it kinda blows my mind lol.

MountainBudz

The only possibility that comes to mind is maybe the two of three that I culled was hermie maybe? It had balls between the branch and main stems is all I know. I can sex a plant really early, have plenty of experience with that. Maybe that is what happened.

But the one that I kept had suffered through a pretty bad light leaks and still yet (fingers crossed) has not hermied on me thus far.

igrowone

Veteran
I am almost 100% positive that there was not any males in this area. I know the entire area well and all of my plants were from clone or female seed and never had to cull any of them due to any type of problems (males, hermies, etc) so if this is rare it kinda blows my mind lol.

the culprit that knocked up your lady may never be known
but this kind of event not so rare
growers get a few seeds and are certain no hermies or males around
you're not alone, but i liked that you followed up and grew out the seed
could a bird or bee brought a bit of pollen from far away? no telling

MountainBudz

"A bird or a bee" lol.. That actually crossed my mind.

But yes, definitely had to go ahead and try it out, that bud was almost worth dying for honestly. I'd give anything if it turned out the same as its mother did.

Once she gets heavier into flowering I will know for sure and know more about it I guess. I will update this at that time and let yall know how it went. I'm bad though to start threads, promise updates and boom... next thing you know, the thread becomes a ghost town... Too much thc has frizzled my brain :laughing:

djonkoman

Veteran
couple of possibilities.

either there was a male somewhere, could be quite some distance away, cannabis is a windpollinator so could be pretty far downwind where the male was. in that case half the dna is from an unrelated unknown strain, could also be fiber or seedhemp, or feral hemp.

other option is there was a hermi flower somewhere in your grow.

in bothcases I wouldn't continue breeding with it, in the first case there is a big unknown on the father's side which could introduce a lot of undesirable traits, in the 2nd case you would have a higher chance on hermi's in the offspring. but if you already grew the progeny and find it worth breeding with, don't let that stop you, but do keep an eye out for hermi-tendencies.

but besides the possible hermi-tendencies if it was a selfing, it would still not be an exact copy. only if the plant that is selfed is very stable(mostly homozygote) you would get a copy, but any heterozygote loci will segregate with a selfing. it would still be pretty similar to the mother though, and some probably will resemble it very closely, but it's not an exact copy.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd say there was pollen floating in from somewhere only because of the males.

The chances of having an exact copy of mom are zero to none. Genetics don't work like that. For a very basic start search for & learn about Mendelian math.

Grow that gal out a couple times. If you think she's special, do what you like with her. There's no time like the present for some hands on learning.

MountainBudz

A little update

A little update

Well folks, she didn't turn out anything like the Sugar Punch I ran last year...

Bud structure is about the same, very dense with huge fat calyx's. But the smell isn't so berry/diesel/ funk this time around.

Sugar punch is a cross between The One and Super Silver Haze, this one is definitely a straight up SSH pheno! Excited to try her out and see how she smokes. Looks like its gonna have a good place in my outdoor garden as well!

:tiphat: