What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Led light schedule!

So I've been doing a lot of reading and contemplating and the never ending questions

24/0 or 18/6 ?!

Wonder what the LED community thinks? I've had good luck with both. Never ran 24/0 with my LED and thought about giving it a go.

It's only a 96x3 not real powerful. Only using it for clones, seedlings.

Opinions ?!

DiverDave

So I've been doing a lot of reading and contemplating and the never ending questions

24/0 or 18/6 ?!

Wonder what the LED community thinks? I've had good luck with both. Never ran 24/0 with my LED and thought about giving it a go.

It's only a 96x3 not real powerful. Only using it for clones, seedlings.

Opinions ?!

I'm surprised no one has responded to this.

I use florescent for starting seeds (cheaper counter light type)
for 24/0
when rooted and in soil (started with soil) and will be learning
hydro this next grow.
Continuing .. then I switch up to 18/6 for veg state .. and finally 12/12 for flower.

Hope this helps.

24/0 or 18/6 or anywhere in between it makes no difference as plants don't sleep and they don't need a rest. 24/0 allows you to veg faster, while a long dark period can help keep a grow room cool in warm climates. I use a dark period of 5 hours mainly because it coincides with my peak electricity period (metered at a higher rate).

:)

h.h.

Veteran
23/1 to let the lights cool down. At least 24 hours of darkness before the flip.

After the flip, 15 minutes deep red/12.5 main lights/15 minutes deep red, totaling 13 hours of lights on has worked well for a couple plants. Others have refused to budge, only putting on more leaf.
I reset my main lights yesterday to a 15 minutes deep red/11.5 hours mains/15 minutes deep red for a total of 12 hours on, 12 off. I may even cut that down.

I'm finding that it depends on the strain and the phenotype.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It's actually a major difference in 18/6 or 24/0.

Studies and documentation as far back as Ask Ed in the 60's and 70's have shown that 18/6 can result in as much as 1/3rd less yield than 24/0.

However, root and stem growth is best done at night when photosynthesis stops and I have noticed after almost 50 years of growing that 24/0 will definitely produce smaller root balls than 18/6.

I usually run clones and seeds at 18/6. After they are rooted and established, I go to 24/0. When they are ready to flower I flip to 12/12.

24/0 is the preferred schedule by most because it will usually provide for the biggest yield.

Better quality comes from big roots and stems. After all, the roots and stems are the intake path for the plant's food.

Grower's choice.

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
At 24 hours a plant wouldn't need the larger roots and stems for the same nutrient uptake. Larger yield comes from taking up more nutrients. I haven't seen any difference in quality or health of the plant.
It does beg the thought of how it would work if one started out with fewer light hours pushing root and stem growth, then switched to 24 on for a longer nutrient cycle through a more efficient transport system.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It does beg the thought of how it would work if one started out with fewer light hours pushing root and stem growth, then switched to 24 on for a longer nutrient cycle through a more efficient transport system.

That's exactly what I said I do in the post above. (I usually run clones and seeds at 18/6. After they are rooted and established, I go to 24/0. When they are ready to flower I flip to 12/12.)

Clones definitely build stronger roots for me under 18/6 than they do under 24/0

However, root and stem growth is best done at night when photosynthesis stops and I have noticed after almost 50 years of growing that 24/0 will definitely produce smaller root balls than 18/6.
Who said root and stem growth are best done at night? I have never noticed the slightest difference with roots and what you are saying is contradicts your claim about a third more yield under 24/0. Stems only appear to grow faster at night as they elongate more in darkness looking for light. Raise a seedling in complete darkness and see what happens.. :)

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Growmau5 talks a lot about how 20 on/4 off works really well for veg. The four hour rest period helps the plants relax for bit and saves a little on electricity.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts