What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How would you use a 20x24 GH for winter run? Equip. Etc.?

Deezl

I would like to use my GH year round.
It has manual internal light dep.
I can't have light shining out of it.

Should I:

A. Leave the tarp on and use it like an indoor space (lights on at night)

Or

B. Leave the tarp open and supplement during the day and pull the tarp over to leave lights on for veg?

And if I do either of those, what equipment will I need (Sonoma ca)? What's a big affordable (not too loud) dehu? And I guess a big outtake fan is best belt driven for quietness.

Thanks in advance y'all

Deezl

This summer I got away with no real outtake fan just left the sides up. And had a can fan hooked up for dep hours, not really enough.

Wendull C.

Veteran
If your in Cali why not have your lights on during the day to supplement low light levels for flower? Then for veg do the same but have your lights come on at night for 5 minutes to break their night cycle since they need 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness to flower? that would allow you to veg too.

Are you worried about rippers?

Speed of green

Im going with option B, extending the daylight hours to 18/6 or 12/12. I normally dep from 7am-7pm but its been getting dark around 430pm so i close my tarps at 4pm and run the lights from 401 - 1AM

Deezl

Thanks, yeah daytime is better for smaller power bill too.

Not worried about rippers, but I can't have it lit up.

Speed of green

there is no visible indication that lights are on inside my greenhouse. i have 12mil dep tarps and lights traps over my exhaust fans.

Deezl

Nice, I think I'm good when the dep in on, I was wondering about on a foggy day or whatever. Thanks y'all.

I'm sitting here researching Dehu's now.

CrushnYuba

I wouldn't dehu. I would heat and ventilate to lower humidity. In commercial greenhouses they don't use dehumidifiers. They heat and vent. If you know how RH works it makes sense. I'm in norcal, I keep my rh at 50 in the rain. I heat with auto ignition pellet stove but electric would work and so would VENTED propane or NG. You need the heat anyway.

livinit

You could also try lining the greenhouse with reflective insulation on the north side walls along with any exposed area that you don't have light penetrating in.

livinit

I also came across a build that used reflectors outside the green house angled perfectly to intensify the amount of light within. This all depends how your greenhouse is built, but the guy also had hings so at night an electric engine would be on a timer shutting tight against the window panel to keep the heat in at night.