What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long term trim storing

With the light deps coming down and the trim starting to pile up I need to do something to keep it fresh as possible until I have the time to process it to slabs.

I was thinking I can get a bunch of the space saver bags and put 5-10# in each one then put them in chest freezers.is this a common practice or any reason I should avoid doing this.thanks for any input.

With the light deps coming down and the trim starting to pile up I need to do something to keep it fresh as possible until I have the time to process it to slabs.

I was thinking I can get a bunch of the space saver bags and put 5-10# in each one then put them in chest freezers.is this a common practice or any reason I should avoid doing this.thanks for any input.

Sell it. In my area there is a trim shortage this time of year.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greenman plays well with others but still exhibits poor reading comprehension.

critter1685 said:
I need to do something to keep it fresh as possible until I have the time to process it to slabs.

Recommended to repeat the year before graduating to the next grade.

Daub Marley

Your going to need glass because cannabis terpenes will dissolve plastics. Bags also do not work long term because gaseous molecules (terpenes) will literally shoot out through any bag of insufficient thickness. Both of these problems can be greatly diminished by using a freezer, but that requires electricity and limits the amount you can store.

snake11

Process it ASAP. Even in a freezer the quality will be degrading. Hire some extra help so you can run it now. Your extract will be much better.

gholladay

Best thing you can do is cut down your buds, cure them, trim it dry, then seal the material into vac seal bags. I would pull out most of the air, but not crush the buds, then put those bags in the freezer. You should be able to store the weed this way and run the trim with pretty good success. I would very interested to see if you had a couple bags of the same strain and ran them at different times, say 1 month, 6 months, and 12 months and see if there is any noticeable differences in the oil color or aromaticity.

GH

snake11

Best thing you can do is cut down your buds, cure them, trim it dry, then seal the material into vac seal bags. I would pull out most of the air, but not crush the buds, then put those bags in the freezer. You should be able to store the weed this way and run the trim with pretty good success. I would very interested to see if you had a couple bags of the same strain and ran them at different times, say 1 month, 6 months, and 12 months and see if there is any noticeable differences in the oil color or aromaticity.

GH

The material breaks down over time, even under vacuum. If you compare fresh run vs a run that has been vacuum sealed for six months, the material that has been vacuumed sealed is noticeably darker. Everyday it is getting worse from the moment it is chopped down.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You might try vacuuming down the bag and back filling with nitrogen before freezing. Oxygen is necessary for oxidation.

UV is another foe, so an opaque bag or a dark freezer has less of that.

Daub Marley

You might try vacuuming down the bag and back filling with nitrogen before freezing. Oxygen is necessary for oxidation.
You could also just throw in some O2 absorption packets. It will chemically bind the O2 and will leave a positive pressure nitrogen rich environment in the bag.

OregonRepresent

I have had great success storing outdoor trim until august/september and still getting super pretty oil. it might not have been as terpene rich as it would have been but the color was still on point. The most important thing is making sure the trim is absolutely dry! Then I will put it in three or four layers of contractor bags and store it in a cool basement until you can get to it. If it is sealed up moist, or as soon as it gets warm, it is toast and will come out dark. Down in Southern Oregon/ NorCal we've got so much material at one time of year, that storage is essential. As long as you got a cool storage space, you can store stuff through the summer. We are trying to teach the growers how to handle their trim proper, cuz most just don't have the energy or time to care about it.

blastfrompast

Veteran
once dry we just vac and freeze and run at our leisure..

Just pulled out a 1yr old bag and it came out beautiful.

Nice to be able to do a run of oil from a strain you haven't ran in a year.

Latest posts

Latest posts