What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice color i love that combination, this is the color change I was talking about @Balubaba
If you can get the colors and texture of cobs like these your on a winner.

2751187-c3a8bc8cd7c2ce6067b1fd4afb50adda.jpg

Jack Flash is supposed to be a nice high so I have heard. I def wouldn't pass up a piece to chew or smoke if I still smoked.
I bet your getting some nice aromas from those sticky beasts.

Onboard

If anything, done properly, I think cobbing is more likely to inhibit or even kill off mould development as the process is a bit like digestion and seems to entrain available biomatter into the process.
Furthermore the cob will improve with age rather than diminish in quality over time.
I'd do it.
Agreed 100%.
And there are the lab data to back that up, too, right?

Somewhere in this thread, someone sent a cob sample for microbiology analysis, and, if I remember correctly, it came back cleaner than any jar cured bud.

0x942

Nice color i love that combination, this is the color change I was talking about @Balubaba

View attachment 18746374

Jack Flash is supposed to be a nice high so I have heard. I def wouldn't pass up a piece to chew or smoke if I still smoked.
Thank you man ! I've learnt everything there so i'm feeling lucky knowing about this thread :cool:

The aroma is very complex and overwhelming.. Wife entered the house and said something like : "damn, what kind of perfume did you used to air clean the house ?" :ROFLMAO:o_O

StickyBandit

I don't have access to any organic style wrappings like leaves etc. Would it be ok to use thin white cotton cloth like an old bed sheet or something instead?
I was thinking I might try a Killer A5 Haze bud or two that I started drying yesterday
I bought a vacuum sealer today
I have read different timings and temps for the first part of the process throughout this thread and I was wondering what the consensus is now for best results? 12 hours @ 40°c ?
Cheers

Onboard

I don't have access to any organic style wrappings like leaves etc. Would it be ok to use thin white cotton cloth like an old bed sheet or something instead?
I was thinking I might try a Killer A5 Haze bud or two that I started drying yesterday
I bought a vacuum sealer today
I have read different timings and temps for the first part of the process throughout this thread and I was wondering what the consensus is now for best results? 12 hours @ 40°c ?
Cheers
I can vouch for that! A sweat for 12h at 40°C, then 30°C for weeks (and months).

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@StickyBandit , as others have said, just compress and chuck it straight into a vac bag. Though saying that, I see no reason as to why you shouldn't use a cotton cloth. I'm sure that the only thing that'll be absorbed is moisture, not the cannabinnoids. If that were the case then they'd also move into the corn husks or banana leaves.

As regards the temperature of the initial sweat. I'd be tempted myself to go a little lower than 40c, more like 35c. Tbh, it doesn't matter much but at the lower temperature things will happen a little slower and give you a greater element of control over the process. The rate at which things happen is also governed by the moisture content when starting the sweat. Wetter and things happen quicker. Drier and it's slower. Personally these days I go for using a drier starting material and 35c. 12hrs should be plenty of time for the sweat to begin; It is better to look for colour change and perhaps moisture inside the bag rather than using a strict time.

I don't use any wrapping on mine. I compress them into a plastic tube really hard. I line the tube with baking paper to allow me to push the cob out of the tube in one piece. I then unwrap it carefully before just putting inti the vac bag.
Saying that I do have access to both banana leaves and corn husks, so will probably try them come harvest this year. Some have suggested that the leaves or husks impart their own magic into the cobs

As you've read, there are many ways to do it and they will all work. Some will produce more terpy and colourful cobs.
Once you've got the initial sweat going try ad let your instincts and nose guide you.

Over time you'll get a better understanding of the process and you will devise your own way of doing things. My first cobs were to wet initially and sweated to long. They looked like dog turds and tasted not so nice; They worked really well!
These days I'm making some very tasty cobs that look beautiful.

Killer A5 Haze will produce awesome cobs!

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
@StickyBandit , as others have said, just compress and chuck it straight into a vac bag. Though saying that, I see no reason as to why you shouldn't use a cotton cloth. I'm sure that the only thing that'll be absorbed is moisture, not the cannabinnoids. If that were the case then they'd also move into the corn husks or banana leaves.

As regards the temperature of the initial sweat. I'd be tempted myself to go a little lower than 40c, more like 35c. Tbh, it doesn't matter much but at the lower temperature things will happen a little slower and give you a greater element of control over the process. The rate at which things happen is also governed by the moisture content when starting the sweat. Wetter and things happen quicker. Drier and it's slower. Personally these days I go for using a drier starting material and 35c. 12hrs should be plenty of time for the sweat to begin; It is better to look for colour change and perhaps moisture inside the bag rather than using a strict time.

I don't use any wrapping on mine. I compress them into a plastic tube really hard. I line the tube with baking paper to allow me to push the cob out of the tube in one piece. I then unwrap it carefully before just putting inti the vac bag.
Saying that I do have access to both banana leaves and corn husks, so will probably try them come harvest this year. Some have suggested that the leaves or husks impart their own magic into the cobs

As you've read, there are many ways to do it and they will all work. Some will produce more terpy and colourful cobs.
Once you've got the initial sweat going try ad let your instincts and nose guide you.

Over time you'll get a better understanding of the process and you will devise your own way of doing things. My first cobs were to wet initially and sweated to long. They looked like dog turds and tasted not so nice; They worked really well!
These days I'm making some very tasty cobs that look beautiful.

Killer A5 Haze will produce awesome cobs!

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
Couldn't of put it better myself thats it in a nutshell.

xet

View attachment 18746374

Jack Flash is easily one of the clearest and most amazing sativas on this earth. Everyone, especially the sativa deniers, should try it at least once.

Tangwena

Veteran
These buds are in my pocket every day 2 different highs depending on my need at the time.
The red haired buds are my favorite the high is energetic with the curiosity of a child makes everything new and enjoyable.
The darker buds are the purple leaved pheno and are not as focused but instant energy if your feeling jaded.

each piece is about one dose for me the bigger red bud has 3 or 4 doses in it.

img_1954-web.jpg
img_1950-web.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
These buds are in my pocket every day 2 different highs depending on my need at the time.
The red haired buds are my favorite the high is energetic with the curiosity of a child makes everything new and enjoyable.
The darker buds are the purple leaved pheno and are not as focused but instant energy if your feeling jaded.

They both look divine; The red one especially so.

My tolerance is getting less by the day. I took 0.24g of Super Malawi Haze 3 hr's ago and am flying very high indeed. For the first 2 hrs it was almost overwhelming! Yesterday I actually forgot to take any at all!

xet

View attachment 18748084 View attachment 18748085
Imagine being 6 six years old and seeing your grandpa pull that out of his pocket and chew on it.

They look beautiful though :D

Tangwena

Veteran
They both look divine; The red one especially so.

My tolerance is getting less by the day. I took 0.24g of Super Malawi Haze 3 hr's ago and am flying very high indeed. For the first 2 hrs it was almost overwhelming! Yesterday I actually forgot to take any at all!
The darker purple plant buds are actually the best tasting super pine and fermented fruit it would be a superb smoke.
The red haired buds are also very tasty and more dark fermented fruit very dense taste the high is instant and fixes any day makes it the best day of your life ha ha.
My wife commented the other day as we returned from a successful fishing trip "my life is so exciting with you"
It was news to me and she was straight ha ha. Its the cobs I swear.

Tangwena

Veteran
👆This is the thing that really amazes me about cob. With tolerance inversion you become super sensitive and access an exquisite experience. Daily.
Exclusive to chewers only, but once you get that there's no reason to go back
Wow! thats the gospel right there brother its so good to hear that from someone who knows and now knows its true.
You can tell I'm sure I'm just 5 hours into the red haired cob trip.
Last night we fished the local jetty from 8pm until midnight caught about 30 squid some with 300mm body tubes.
It was like magic I could look at the dark water and feel if they were present ha ha.
It started as I walked onto the jetty. There were already people sitting fishing with no luck.
I stopped right at the beginning of the jetty about 2mtrs onto it. Cast into the water near the break wall and bang!
Monster squid first cast after that it just got better ha ha.