What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to prep and store seeds correctly?

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I dont usually work with too many seeds so my knowledge is limited, but i have recently harvested some crosses, and would like to preserve them. I have some questions...

What is a safe rinse solution/process to use in order to remove the resin and/or any other contaminates on the shell?

Is there a seasoning type of process? I thought i read or heard somewhere that you get best germ rates by letting the seeds dry, then put in the freezer for a month or so, and then ween them off in the in the fridge for a week or two to simulate a winter spring cycle.. Any legitimacy to this?

Ive done a bit of reading on seed rh levels, and it seems like most sources recommend getting them down to a moisture level of 8%Rh for long term storage. Any less can cause low germ rates especially if lower than 6%Rh. Higher reduces shelf life. In order to achieve this level, some sources say that if you can hold the seeds in a sealed container at 20-25%, then the actual rh of the seed should be at about 8%. I have also read that if you hold them in a container and maintain 8%rh until theres no more fluctuation, then the seeds are at 8% as well which i think would make sense. They are two opposite ways that contradict each other. Need some help here... Is anybody actually doing this?

Something tells me most ppl would just dry them out for a week at room temp, then toss em in a jar with rice, and put em in the fridge. But I want to do this process as "by the book" as possible. If im gonna do it, im gonna do it right. Thx

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Is there a seasoning type of process? I thought i read or heard somewhere that you get best germ rates by letting the seeds dry, then put in the freezer for a month or so, and then ween them off in the in the fridge for a week or two to simulate a winter spring cycle.. Any legitimacy to this?
Cannabis does not need vernalisation. In fact, repeated freezing-thawing cycles are harmful! Seeds once frozen are best kept frozen until you plant them.
A good way to freeze is to put them in the fridge for a few days and then freeze them slowly (by putting them in a Styrofoam box).

Besides, humidity within the seed is not reflected by the air's RH ;) .
You would have to determine water content of a few seeds for example by heat drying or titrimetry (in both cases, you have to sacrifice some seeds for the procedure).
Drying a week is usually not enough either and using rice may not be sufficient. If the rice is at 8% and you take 10 times more than seeds, then okay, but if the rice is just rice and you add a few grains to your harvest...