What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Want to go 12/12

sandie66

Okay, here are the girls at 49 days and I think I want to go to 12/12 so they double or triple from this size. I tried to get pictures of whole plant, tops, and sides. They are not tall, but they are bushy as hell. And finally, the girl I had problems with. You'll remember I thought she wouldn't make it so I topped her just for the fuck of it. She is the only one that's been topped.

This is my favorite girl. She is just lovely.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11

sandie66

This was my runt. She has really grown well.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9

sandie66

And finally, the girl I had problems with. You'll remember I thought she wouldn't make it so I topped her just for the fuck of it. She is the only one that's been topped.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 8
Yeah those pics look nice man. Looks like the Ak-47 I got going. What size pots are you growing in? If you pull the top of the topped plant down below the others some of that really tight branching will loosen up and become multiple main colas. I did this to my Ak-47 and Chemdawg '91s and thy just exploded. Recently I knocked the tops of the Chemdawg '91s over again to allow the lower branches to finish the catch up they started the first time I layed her down. ;) I have a feeling like I incresed active flower sites in doing this. :)

I see we are both new growers and learning new things everyday. It's cool to be able to share our experiences and get advice on a forum like this.

But yeah... What size pots you running?

-KA

Yeah I don't want to tell you how to run things. I just noticed in my own training experiments that exposing the lower spots to more light by tucking the larger upper fan leaves behind the lower, like when you tuck your girl's hair behind her ear, really increases growth to the other branches, like topping. But this way you get to keep that top, and let it back up to canopy height when the others catch up to it. :) But maybe you want to keep your ladies tall and slender... Not trying to grow them for ya! ;)

Later
-KA

firstimer777

LST is easy just lightly pinch between your internodes until you hear a little crunch. it will cause a knuckle to form where you pinched it. you already have bushy plants. so pinching will strengthen it for more weight. i vegged for a month they were cuttings the grew to about 2 feet and i put them in flower. theyre about 3 feet tall now and my plants are expected to yield 2 oz each at an estimate. pinch early and get them stout then in flower pinch when they stretch because they will veg for about another week.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Just switch the light cycle to 12/12, and let the plants go naturally until you know their preferred habit. LST is not what you need if you want them to get bigger.

Later today I'm going to do what I mentioned earlier to my Ak, which has a very similar profile. I supposed most wouldn't call my method LST. I'm gonna call it... Phantom fimming. Cause the cut top "comes back from the dead" - Cuz it was never cut off. :) Check my posts to find my grow log.

I'll send you a link to it once I post the pictures. At the moment I have another plant all bound upside down. I'll try to show what I mean perhaps via drawings!

Anyway! Keep up the good work. It seems you understand how to fertilize, and it took me two flushes to learn my lesson. Your tips are nice and green and mine are crispy from about 10 days ago. Oh well. All things in time, right?

-Kweku

X

xavier7995

LST is easy just lightly pinch between your internodes until you hear a little crunch. it will cause a knuckle to form where you pinched it. you already have bushy plants. so pinching will strengthen it for more weight. i vegged for a month they were cuttings the grew to about 2 feet and i put them in flower. theyre about 3 feet tall now and my plants are expected to yield 2 oz each at an estimate. pinch early and get them stout then in flower pinch when they stretch because they will veg for about another week.

I don't think this is a good description of LST, pinching the stem is a perfectly viable thing, its just not the same as it would be sort of a high stress training since it damages the plant.

To LST, get a piece of string. tie a loose loop around the end of one of the branches, then very gently pull the string so it sort of bends that top down so it is below the rest of the branch. I then just use some strong tape and tape the other end of the string to the side of the pot. You can do all sorts of neat things with it, grew a spiral plant once just to see if i could.

sandie66

OMG. That sounds scary. I am afraid I will break them. What happens if I wait another 2-3 weeks, until the autos are bigger and then go 12/12, but leave them like this, no topping, no fimming, no LST?

I don't think this is a good description of LST, pinching the stem is a perfectly viable thing, its just not the same as it would be sort of a high stress training since it damages the plant.

To LST, get a piece of string. tie a loose loop around the end of one of the branches, then very gently pull the string so it sort of bends that top down so it is below the rest of the branch. I then just use some strong tape and tape the other end of the string to the side of the pot. You can do all sorts of neat things with it, grew a spiral plant once just to see if i could.

Yes this exactly! Once the plant gets branchy enough you won't even need string. Just tuck the tops under lower branches. The downward pointed tops slow down, passing their energy on to their replacements as highest cola(s) exposed to light kind of take over. I believe the chemical/hormone responsible for this is called auxin

Here is the Ak-47 I was talking about. It started off really dense like your topped plant, but once I did some LST, the underside branches poked up to occupy canopy space. Now instead of one main cola, I count at least four. Good news come flowering.

Here she is with branches tucked under branches. It's also important to tuck any fan leaves that are obstructing potential new tops. Perhaps the plant uses light intensity to measure *which* cola to direct the most auxin to.

I agree with spiraling to help bush it out. Worked wonders for me. Most impressive growth happens a day after releasing the tops - in my experience in my first grow with JChem.

Here you can see the smaller branches of JChem which have just been exposed to direct light. We can expect to see these branches grow.

And here is a closeup of JChem. I'm pretty sure I'll release this training when that little guy makes it to the top.

Hope this helps! Check my other posts for more pictures!
-KA

And don't be afraid of breaking stems. When I train, I go hard, and the plants thrive. I think triggering immuno response is paramount to a healthy flowering period. During veg we can take all the time and plant matter we need to make things work. Once flowering starts, we better hope our plants have got a good bit of "toughness."

Currently have three broken branches from bending the tops down. In this case I just prop up the top of said broken branch, masking tape the wound for support and to keep air out, and allow it to be the new top (since all the other tops are below). I believe this encourages the plant to focus energy and resources on the highest and brightest cola. Thus, my broken branches are the strongest, healthiest tops in my garden at the moment. :)

Luck!
-Kweku

firstimer777

theres actually many different lst methods. what i described is what i read about as 1 form of lst but i guess you could also be right as it does make the plant visibly bulk up but it doesnt hurt them it just stops them from growing vertically and forces lower off chutes to get taller producing more tops

Regardless of what method, I would say the most important aspect is pointing the top downward, below a height of any other branch. I'm pretty sure the plant must assume it's favorite branch broke off, so it takes all those eggs and puts them in other basket. It would seem after losing one or two tops, the plants learn not to put ALL thier eggs in ONE basket, and just bush out many small buds.

Most I my research shows me this increases yield, although it may lower individual bud diam.s.

Cool
-Kweku

Latest posts

Latest posts