What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Here’s What Marijuana Looks Like Under The Microscope [Photos]

SteamBoy

Here’s What Marijuana Looks Like Under The Microscope [Photos]

Ever wonder what marijuana looks like up close and personal?

Now you can see how cannabis appears to the scientists who study it, thanks to a new book called Cannabis Under The Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica by Ford McCann.

The book features over 170 images of cannabis in its full glory, taken with optical and scanning electron microscopes.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/04/22/heres-marijuana-looks-like-microscope/

Have a peek below:

marijuana-microscope-04-22-720x340.jpg

marijuana-microscope-4.jpg

marijuana-microscope-3.jpg

marijuana-microscope-2.jpg

marijuana-microscope-6.jpg

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the first and fourth pictures what do the colors represent? Or how does an electron scanning microscope work? Really great pics to share!!!!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
pure awesomeness thanks for sharing

so glad i am organic nice to know my senses are accurate

djonkoman

Veteran
I like that stem picture :tiphat:

I harvest some plants with hollow stems. Is this a biological defect?

no, the middle of the stem is called the pith, it consists of non-functional, dead cells(as the stem elongates, the cells that form ther transport canals also elongate, and eventually collapse as their structural integrity doesn't allow anymore stretching. the plant fixes this by just forming new transport canals, the middle of the stem is the oldest part). in some plants, like cannabis, the middle of the pith can disappear and create hollow stalks/stems.
the functional part is around that lightgreen ring. this is part of what I have to study for an exam next week, about the morfology of plants. I haven't really started studying yet, and am used to seeing these cross-sections trough an ordinary light-microscope, but I guess the lightgreen ring in that picture of the crossection of a mature stem is the cambiumlayer, with the (secondary) plhoem and (secondary) xylem on either sides of it(I fiorgot wich of the 2 is on the inside and wich on the outside).
I can't really distinguish the vascular bundles in this pic though.

Betterhaff

Veteran
...but I guess the lightgreen ring in that picture of the crossection of a mature stem is the cambiumlayer, with the (secondary) plhoem and (secondary) xylem on either sides of it(I fiorgot wich of the 2 is on the inside and wich on the outside).
The cambium layer is a very thin meristematic tissue that continuously divides to form phloem tissue to the outside and xylem tissue to the inside.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys!

Could they be trichomes primordia?

How about just trichomes? I understand cannabis produces a few different types (at least 5).
Never herd em called primordia before. I thought that was a reference to the initial development of sexual parts.

Anyway... the pictures are awesome... please post some more.

Make me want to get a microscope even more now. Hehe