What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bipolar disorder

yao

do you use two different strains for Bipolar disorder. one for mania and one for depression.

Runt

I´m also bipolar and sativas always make me edgy so I stick to indicas and hybrids but weed isn´t enough to keep me stable so I also use Lito -not a bad med but you need to check the lithium concentration at regular intervals.

choom

Pertaining to this ailment and most mental health in general..

Pertaining to this ailment and most mental health in general..

..people usually turn away from sativas/dominantly
leaning strains, but I find strains like Headcheese
help me the most medicinally for my mood, sativa
is usually not ideal as people with low tolerances
can freak out or get jumpy; but personally for me
the more sativa the better - and I'm endeavoring
to source full blooded sativas and dial my garden
tropically to help myself and others that NEED sati..
Dj Short's Blueberry is great too in my opinion, for
lifting yourself up and wanting that still-in-bed good
feel you get weekend mornings. Happy and cozy is BB.
I have manic-bipolar disorder this isn't really common
knowledge but this is a medical cannabis forum so
fuck it, yeah? Our noble plant is the only thing that
has given me relief and the feeling of being able to
function with a sound head, the more clear, longer,
and less foggy the very much better. Most of the
cannabis today has such a low ceiling and ridiculous
tolerance build-up, at most I'll just feel all foggy and
shit, though I can appreciate a true heirloom indica
like this old cut of NorthernLights#5 we have out here
in the sticks, but out of everything we have the Headcheese
is the very best for me medically in our stable being
the best high for me. This green crack I had from eastern
WA about 2-3 years ago was like a religious experience
for me, I felt beyond great for hours and got SO much
done that day and I haven't experienced any Cush like
it since, I had some amazing Green Crack grown by the
Kush Creams co. entering for the '13 Seattle cup that
tasted like mist laden forestry and peanut butter, loved
it but it wasn't anywhere close to the GC I had in eastern
WA, but cup prerequisites are different for how the judges
like to see the meds so it was chopped pretty late for the
strain which is why I didn't get off on it as much, but folks
who would have originally hated GC would have loved this!

In short, I'm wanting to grow out full blooded sativa strains
in the form of Thais, Africans, Colombians, Polynesians, and
also landrace such as the Uzbekistan and Chinese indicas...
though a full emphasis on the sativas, the strain's longevity
of function being the focus of my selection. A cohort of mine
in Chile (a very ambitious grower that would be GREAT here)
plans on sending me a few local varieties consisting of these:
Punto Rojo X Senegal Gambia
Malawi X ace Old Timer's Haze
Colombian Gold X {Blue Mountain X Hawaiian Sativa}
Double Congo X Lambs (Jamaica)

I've noticed that CBD strains have a similar if not same exact
effect on me even when the duration of the 'high' is over, and
if also with a sativa function; I like it a lot. There's a local cut
around here sprouted/grown/coveted by a circle of ex-Marines
called Semper Fi, and it's always been a curiousity as it's flavor
wasn't really a seller but it had a kickass buzz and A+ for pain!!
Been being grown for a couple of decades now from an old seed.
Curious over it no more we were when our cohort that grows it
brings back test results showing over 10% CBD in the samples.
I enjoy the CBD Sweet & Sour White Widow mother that I have,
and it's flavor for being an enriched strain, but the Semper Fi is
special in my opinion and I'm getting it into my personal stable
ASAP, especially if paired with the Sweet & Sour#4 pollen OH MY.
What I personally enjoy about the Semper Fi is how sativa the
function is but how great the pain relief is at the same time. I'm
specifically remembering a time smoking just Semper Fi, at a time
before we knew it's profile %'s, and I'm just wired awake in my
bed day dreaming (tired as fuck before smoking) and not realizing
how damn high I am after like 40 minutes of spacing off, I stayed
awake for hours longer with a pain free body on top of the mental
clarity. I cracked the back of my skull against the very corner of
a concrete pool edge while falling inside around 11 years old or 12,
nothing happened until middle school I got terrible shoulder and neck
pains that transcended to my lower back and hips, so on top of fucko
brains, I'm medicating for nearly consistent daily pain, which this strain
Semper Fi hits all of my marks in one sitting as a fraction of the foggy
indicas around can help with my pain but my head isn't any better. So
there's a second thing ICMag has on me to jot into the choom.txt file..

I'll have the Semper Fi soon, she's basically perfect IMO besides flavor
which is vague but what little that is there is enjoyable to me. And
I'm also hoping I find something in the sativa crosses I'm getting that
help me and a lot of other people in a unique way unprecedented in my
area/medical cannabis scene. There are no full lineage sativas being
vended around here if they can't do it right do it yourself is how it is..

There's my input, my bad if all of this seems redundant, I'd like to see
what strains other have sworn by in this thread; I like this topic so far.
I'd also think it'd fun if we all shot strain recommendations to eachother!

choom(0:

fabvariousk

Veteran
I find a rotation of satisfying strains that fall into the 70/30 sativa/indica variety to be the most complete way of treating/feeding my bipolar orbits.
Powerful non racy sativas are where it is at.
Diet is equally important and not drinking coffee a real plus.
If I am eating, sleeping, and controlling manic episodes depression is rarely a problem so it does not have to be dealt with directly.

choom

@Fabvariousk: That 70/30 sativa/indica ratio
basically sums up what Headcheese feels like,
what specific strains have been great for you
I would like to know! This one is a clone only.

choom(0:

Snype

Veteran
I'm bipolar but I'm manic most of the year so I smoke Indicas to keep me balanced but when I'm depressed I need a Sativa. I've never taken meds and never will. The right strains should work. I agree with Blueberry for the depression sides and Indicas for the manic side. You have to test out lots of strains to find the ones for your specific brain.

fabvariousk

Veteran
Choom- blue satellite 1 (pictured in my avatar) was the first great bipolar med I encountered along with a very happy pheno of bogglegum.
The crosses I run now which are all very effective are made up of 3d, OGkushxtrainwreck, Chocolopekush, MexicanxSleestack, jack Herer, and GrapeKrush.
Some commercially available stuff you could try would be TGA 3d (probably the strongest strain you can get from a seedbank), DNA chocolopekush or chocolopekush, Barney's farm Acapulco gold (holy shit this stuff is good!), and although I have never tried them rare dankness' line of OG's crossed with a nevils haze Trainwreck dad has got to be right up my alley. I just look for powerful sativa effects without too much trippiness or CBD.
Too much Cbd kills good highs. Good highs kill mania.

yao

does anyone have experience with cannabis for imagination on extraordinary talents and/or soon will be rich and powerful

choom

I've heard a lot of positive things
about Blue Satellite being a good
producer with quality, I'll look into
this strain. Does anyone else have
specific sativa dominant sat/indica
hybrids that come to mind? I'd like
to know about which landrace are
preferred for this as well. I am not
afraid of full sativa lineage nor the
long flowering times.. I have been
wondering about Lebanese and like
Moroccan genetics but I'm not sure
if this forum is barking up the wrong
tree. WoS Ketama is always sold out.

choom(0:

Runt

I was diagnosed bipolar about ten years ago but only started medicating about 2yrs ago. I got tired of being manic, yes I did a lot of wonderful things but I forgot that I had a family that was really taking a mental beating never knowing what my mood would be (rapid cycling) and I had a lot of "bipolar rage" ie I started being scary to my kids -that´s when I went on Lito. The meds have calmed me a lot, I miss the highs and my creativity has diminished but for me it´s worth it as seeing your loved ones scared was for me the eye-opener. My older son is also bipolar but he´s taken a much more relaxed view on meds and feels fine with valproate and essitalopram.

To sum it up: Bipolar disorder is a serious illness with a high mortality rate from suicide and accidents, not using meds doesn´t make you better than the rest of us it just makes you "crazy".

fabvariousk

Veteran
With proper diet and proper cannabis you absolutely don't need those retard meds to make you not crazy. The problem is most people do not have the desire to eat right or access to the right strains. Your surroundins also play a big role and not exposing yourself to negative situations or stress go along way.
I am fortunate I live alone with two big dogs in the middle of nowhere.
If I am having a moment I can yell, scream, and do what I need to do without fear of the police coming. I rarely have to do that anymore because I have taken control of my solitary life.
Good luck runt and to all the super antennas out there.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I think there are varying degrees for bipolar and while some people may be ok with no prescription meds and using exercise, diet, and cannabis to treat themselves, there are many others who have more severe symptoms that may be benefited from prescription meds. This is a disease that has a high suicide rate and I think that finding a treatment that works for you is the best treatment.

That being said, I have bipolar 1 disorder that can be rapid cycling and loads of deep angry manic feelings. I self medicated with pot for 12 years until my father passed away leading up to a sort of melt down. I was put on lithium which helped but didn't help with my depression. after trying several anti depressants, I found wellbutrin which made me very foggy when I smoked pot and I once got very lost driving in a well known area. It really freaked me out so I quit smoking pot altogether for 9 months. during the time I was only on prescription meds, I was fairly happy and well balanced. I started smoking pot again because I missed it and it didn't seem to effect me like it did when I first started taking my meds so I began taking both. after about 5 months I got pretty depressed after a break up and started a different antidepressant, Prozac, instead of taking wellbutrin. the Prozac immediately made me VERY happy and I decided to quit taking my meds all together and just smoke pot. its been 6 months now and while it has been a very happy time, even with vitamins and staying active, I am starting to feel angry again and have decided to start taking my meds again. the only time I can remember of when I felt balanced was when I was just taking prescription meds only. its a damn shame and im not going to stop smoking pot so now I'm trying to find the best medication combo. so far that has been Lamictal and Wellbutrin and I only smoke indica dominant couchlock pot to curb the energetic manic feelings. smoking the sativa racy pot really sets me on edge and makes me very anxious. hope you all find your balance :D

Runt

It´s the anger that really gets me -and scares me. If I were a hermit it wouldn´t matter but I choose to live with other people and I need to take responsibility for that.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

the anger is the main factor to why i decided to take the pills. I've been very resistant to take pharm pills but it just is not getting any better despite holistic attempts. when getting my medical card for an unrelated matter, i discussed my bipolar disorder with her and she warned me against using pot to treat it because she said that people with this disorder usually find that mmj increases their manic/anger episodes. She suggested trying to find a indica or hydrid combination and that many i found might not work. i don't like to drink alcohol so pot is really my only option for relaxing.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

certain people really do set me off lol. I've noticed that the people i tell have basically labeled me as crazy and any feelings i do have, they diminish by saying, that's the bipolar, when really they're just being an asshole. this really happens a lot with my family but now i don't tell anyone and have found that this really helps people take my feelings more seriously. if I'm mad at you, let's deal with it. not dismiss it as just part of my disease. women feel the same way when you tell them they have pms ;)