What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mythbuster needed.. different strains same smell?

CANNABEST

i dont know where to post this question but at this beginner questionair forum.
I have been growing for 4 years so i dont consider myself a newbie. i can produce decent products.

One of my question I recently ran into is, I ran into a co-op owner and he check out my products, he ask if i am growing more than one strain all in the same room, I replied yes.
i have 4-5 different strains running at the same time. I shown him 2 of my strains, northern light and bubba kush. He said, they both have similar smell due to growing it next to each other and in same room.

I never heard anything like this before. Has anyone ??

Canada

Cant say i have . Are the plants in the same container ? How did you dry it ? Can you smell a difference in the 2?

Adze

CANNABEST,
Total myth. Quite early they might not really smell of anything, so a smell of green leafy stuff, but not the result of growing next to each other.

I

im me

.Were they drying right next to each other in tight space? If so the strain that took the longest to dry could've absorbed the smell of a stronger smelling one just a theory

CANNABEST

They are all grown in their own containers, i used AN and feed them all the same with additives of big bud, f1, b52, candy.(i have heard somewhere that using bud candy can make them taste similar)
I wet trim them and hang them next to each other to dry. I label the different strains so they don't get mix up.
And they all look completely different btw.

I

im me

Hmm that's really strange can't really say about the bud candy I really wish I.had an answer for you ill poke around and see if I can dig anything up.

vukman

Veteran
hell no....I have 2 strains right beside each other...touching actually and they have very distinctive and separate fragrances.....

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
So the guy told U that but what about U when U smell them ? Can u feel a difference ?
Next time make the guys smell pepper or coffee in between the two strains, this should help his nose.

CANNABEST

So the guy told U that but what about U when U smell them ? Can u feel a difference ?
Next time make the guys smell pepper or coffee in between the two strains, this should help his nose.

No way. Its definitely different to me. But i smoke/grow my own meds so when a co-op owner who sees many other growers meds and brought that up to me, it surprises me. That's why i ask this question here from growers all over the world.

B

BasementGrower

it can deff be some of ur flower nutes bro.. honestly i heard this happening with people too .

CANNABEST

You are assuming a coop owner knows more than you do. It is astounding how ignorant some people are.

its pretty ignorant how some people THINK they know EVERYTHING. I will be the first to admit that I am a student for life, and am and will always be open to learn and listen to others opinion/ knowledge.
I am not assuming someone knows more than me, I heard of something that I am not familiar with, so I ask others on here to see if they ever heard the same thing.

G

gloryoskie

I grow 4 strains in a small box. Also have momma plants and small cuttings in a veg box.

In flower I have noticed a group smell, but each strain has its own scent. My finished product is distinct for all four as well. I grow coco hempies with maxibloom. All plants same nute schedule.

If his opinion is critical ask his advise on a corrective measure. You can get a baseline on his method of thinking and at the same time show him you can work with him.

Murry Christmas!

Topbud82

i have grown different strains and dried them all together for years and each one is distinctive in smell and taste!
Unless all the different strains you are growing are from similar heritage.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Man that's some bullshit (at least with organic/soil-ish) I usually monocrop but when I pop seeds I'll have different phenos of the same strain smelling different.

One time at a party this 'grower' who was supplying a friend had different strains all with the same background smell. Turns out he was using a ton of Airwick for 'odor control' and that shit was getting all over the buds while he stunk up the street so bad the neighbors were joking about it.

agreed each strain smells different although i have gotten some strains to taste and smell different by adding oils and flavors to the feed also got one strain to change color by addin food coloring to her food purple food colorin made purple buds on a green bud strain old school 60's 70's grower

CANNABEST

I did use a ozn-1 ozone generator when drying the buds to prevent the whole block from smelling it. was just wondering if anyone ever ran into this same issue

CANNABEST

agreed each strain smells different although i have gotten some strains to taste and smell different by adding oils and flavors to the feed also got one strain to change color by addin food coloring to her food purple food colorin made purple buds on a green bud strain old school 60's 70's grower

I heard about this. I was thinking about trying it myself, but I also notice theres purple max from holtbolt county, the guys that made gravity. adds color and weight.

whatthe215

Veteran
i haven't noticed that phenomenon with smell, but i have seen it.

i had a 'PK' cut that vegged almost the same as my bubba so one accidentally got into a bubba monocrop room. the PK colas with bubba colas right next to them looked like bubba... i thought i was crazy or something. the quality was still low and the smell not good (why i been tryna get rid of the PK) but they LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE BUBBA.

i attribute it to plants speaking to each other.

edit: this was the only time ive seen it. 2 things i did differently that run were BUSHMASTER and a REALLY dense overcrowded canopy.