What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains w/ good anti depression properties?

DeoXy

Been trying to research lately for some choices in strains that have higher then normal anti depression properties in the high : giggly laughing feel good euphoric weed.
Long story short been going through a lot of rough shit lately in my personal life.. and shit just seems to get worse before it even starts to get better.. 1 step forward 2 steps back type of deal.

Anyways everything I have in my garden is either that "o shit did you hear that" weed(paranoia racy/trippy sativa hybrids), or the "I can't find my keys / straight professional remote jockey status" weed(super heavy indicas).. I need something different in the mix to hopefully help me through some of these rough times.

Any suggestions? I'm open to any breeder.. any type/flower period.
Need to put some happiness back into my life.. and I think maryjane can help with that :ying:

JGP

picture.php
A bit about smile: Smile is an indica sat hybrid, much more indica dominant than anything I have ever released before. I made it for people who don’t have a lot of head room and would like to get an idea of what a sativa high is like. Every bit of feedback confirms the sativa spirit is dominant in this cross. The good things about Smile in my opinion are, is it is not couchlock, everyone that has smoked the bud says it puts a big old smile on their face every time they have a puff of it. I think this cross has a really nicely balanced and quite complex energetic up high. One tester said he thought I should to call it prozac from a seed, as it does what prozac ought to do. Its a good sog type with little side branching. Flowering is 8 to 9 weeks, plants stretch very slowly for about 6 weeks, not quite doubling in height at crop time. So flowered at 12 inches most will go to 22 to 23 inches.

OldSkoolKlein

Go and check out http://mandalaseeds.com At the top of the page, click on the seed catalogue.

I love their attitude to growing and breeding, and I have days/weeks/months like you mentioned (1 step forward, 2 back), and that's the reason why I went with Mandala. Satori may be one to look at, but go through all their strains. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something there for you.

And you can get them at Seedbay or The Seed Boutique at stupidly cheap prices (under $50 per pack for all of their strains I think).

DeoXy

@ Space Case : thanks for the suggestions!.. gonna add those 2 to the list.

@ OldSkoolKlien : Will deff. look into mandala.. they have a couple that have caught my eye in the past.. just haven't taken the dive and given them a try... will check them out thanks! :)

L

LEX-UK

the best "euphoric" strain ive ever sampled is bubblegum. serious seeds.. cant say on the recent stock tho. Everytime i smoke it i was instantly feeling very happy n euphoric.

Euphoria from DP not so good lol.

Know how ruff it can get mate so i hope you find what u after.. it affects us differently but i find chemd or leaning crosses tobe very happy feel good.

Please keep the suggestions coming.. greatly appreciated!:tiphat:

If you're depression is the type which leaves you lethargic and unmotivated then stick with what I call subtle sativas. Read strain descriptions on the forums for DJ Short, Ace and Mandala.

Riippe

CBD CREW

CBD CREW

Hi there!

I got me some stuff from a friend who got it from a friend,
but it was some stuff from cbd-crew..Dont know what was the exact strain,but i believe any of their stuff will do good.

A-grade stuff and almost immediatly i could FEEL the negative energy escape my body and i just HAD to laugh,because of the relief!And kept laughing all by myself..:biggrin:
http://cbdcrew.org/

Hope you get things sorted out and reach the bottom of the wave soon.Things get worse and worse before they get better!

Blessings!
-Riippe-

just ordered pack for cbd skunk haze myself..

Croissant

hi I also am a fan of the properties you seek in the plant. from personal experience i will recomend the following

a good cut of dj shorts blueberry

the old school bubbleberry circa 2002

the high cbd strain harlequin

and the imo very highly underated YUMBOLDT

I say go with the yumboldt this strain is on par with the best bag appeal possible it has the best flavor ive experienced better than caliO bubblegum and blueberry. The best thing is the quality and potency of the high... this stuff is potent right up there with the elites but the quality of the high is where it really shines, This stuff is pure positivity that fills your chi energy with postive vibrations until it radiates thoughout ur entire being. the feeling of this happening is almost a magical sensation as if your transpoted into an enchanted alternate universe and your spirit has been liberated from negative energy. The best body high ive ever experienced. And it just melts away anxiety and stress leaving one clear headed enough to socialize but free of the burdens of stress anxiety bodily tension and negativity.

M

MrSterling

Cannabiogen's Peyote Purple, I suspect is lower on the THC and higher on the CBD. What I smoked didn't seem to get me very high, but it certainly made things *better*. Like clearing your head of all the shit that was weighing it down. The term "medical marijuana" definitely felt appropriate.

Dinafem's California Hash Plant is another suggestion. Straight indica, but a really mild enjoyable and relaxing smoke.

DJ Short is a good place to look for an overall balanced high. You might have to dig through some expensive packs.

Good luck, and don't forget the benefits of exercise and fresh air in battling depression. Also, St. John's Wort works for many, but apparently not if you've been on antidepressants before.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Mr. Sterling, your post above is spot on, especially about regular excercise and fresh air. I suffer from depression and I can't stress enough how excercise and fresh air has helped me. The last thing you want to do when depressed is exercise, but you have to push yourself no matter how hard it is to do and after a week you will start to feel the benefits When i say exercise it doesnt have to be intense, just a walk everyday or swim a few times a week ect. Anything you found enjoyable in the past. It might not be enjoyable now, but soon you will notice the difference and then it wont be as hard. But like I said, it is very hard to do when extremely depressed, especially in the beginning. This, along with a good anti anxiety strain at night will help tremendously and the suggestions above are great.

DeoXy

@ LEX-UK : thanks for the suggestion.. going to add that one to my list a bubblegum strain sounds nice.

@ village green : yea I deff. need an uplifting sativa.. I think part of my problem is running mostly hybrids or heavy indicas.. thanks for the suggestions in breeders to look at.

@ Riippe : going to look into CBD crew.. never seen or heard of any of their stuff but it sounds right up my alley according to your description.. thanks!

@ Croissant : thank you!.. this was a very helpful post as well.. writing all this down and looking into it.. I appreciate you taking the time to share your personal experience with some of these. :)

@ MrSterling : I was looking into peyote purple from CBG but its always outta stock when I look to grab it lol.. but I do have a cali hashplant from dinafem currently going tho.. look forward to trying it out now.. and thanks I am actually trying my best to avoid anti depressants.. I hate taking pharma's as it is.. will look into st. johns wort.

DeoXy

Mr. Sterling, your post above is spot on, especially about regular excercise and fresh air. I suffer from depression and I can't stress enough how excercise and fresh air has helped me. The last thing you want to do when depressed is exercise, but you have to push yourself no matter how hard it is to do and after a week you will start to feel the benefits When i say exercise it doesnt have to be intense, just a walk everyday or swim a few times a week ect. Anything you found enjoyable in the past. It might not be enjoyable now, but soon you will notice the difference and then it wont be as hard. But like I said, it is very hard to do when extremely depressed, especially in the beginning. This, along with a good anti anxiety strain at night will help tremendously and the suggestions above are great.

Your completely spot on.. thanks for the support.. going to try my best to get out more and get some fresh air.. maybe take on a daily workout.. I think it would help.. being locked up @ home definitly isn't helping me any and its only getting colder out.. again thank you!

If anyone else has any others to share I am all ears.. and again :thank you: to everyone who has stopped by and shared a suggestion!

sup DeoXy? used to have depression issues myself and was on meds, sucked. changed my diet and started exercising. no more meds! have to state i have been a vegetarian for over twenty years so that has a great impact. i have grown dutch passions blueberry and found it to be a great help when having any anxiety or depression issues. my only beef was it was from Dutch Passion and the hermie stories are true, but if your only in it for the medicinal value i would go for it. perhaps get some blue strain form DJ Short would be my recommendation. my research seems that pretty much any strain with blueberry in it is a winner for depression/anxiety. oh and the blue strains are always the sweetest, tastiest herbs yo. good luck in your search and finding the right strain to keep you in good spirits! peace out mon!

jack

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have been told many times that DJ's Flo is a great strain for depression. The buzz intensity is not debilitating and more relaxing and easy going. I have never grown it myself, but have smoked it with friends and I agree with what I have been told, it's a mood elevator. But like JT said earlier, prob any blu strain would be good.

TGT

Buddle

Veteran
Hey Deoxy..Great inquiry man.i have been suffering from often debilitating depression for years.I agree completely that exercise and social stimulation can be the best anedote.Unfortunately when one is truly, truly depressed these are the last things one feels like doing. It does get easier though.
The strain that I remembering helping my depression almost instantly and EVERY time was called Morningstar.A friend brought some back from Cali and gave me a couple gms.I have been searching for it ever since.It is supposedly an early Sensi Star pheno. I don't remember exactly when SS came out.I bought a pk in 05 and grew them out in 06.I was inexperienced and didn't get all that I could have from the beans.Some decent lemon phenos but not what I was searching for.
Other more memorable "feel good" strains I liked were the Chocolate Diesel x Lemon Thai, C99 x Og Kush Abusive,Blueberry and BC Mango from Reef was euphoric too..
Good luck man..again great thread idea..

Max Yields

SSH works well for brightening my day. Yes, it's a pheno hunt to find the perfect one but they all usually kick ass & are a great day starter.

SLH also works for this. Again it is going to be a pheno hunt for the perfect one, but still you'll find something worth keeping.

Jack Herer, a spicy, yet very lemony pheno if possible.

Blueberry varieties seem to be good for chasing away the blues.

Bubblegum, haven't grown it but smoked it. Great strain for this imo.

Purple Kush. Not sure which cut I smoked (SR-71??). It had a very strong body stone that felt soo good & it put a huge stony smile on my face.
Utterly stoned & giggly high! Bad part is it can & will end your day. Better for nighttime use. This bud can plaster you to whatever your in & show you the powerful pull of gravity emanating from the earth's core!

There's more but for now this is all I can think of...