What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you found your life's purpose?

Danksta

This is the biggest problem that humanity faces on an individual and collective basis. Wandering aimlessly from one experience to the next... some smoke to hide it, while most people prefer to live in ignorance.

Personally I can be honest and say that I haven't found my own purpose. I usually keep myself preoccupied with idle activities. Although I long to find something deep... searching for a passion.

I wanted to share a part of a conversation I had with my meditation teacher who is Buddhist monk living in a cave in Thailand. He has maintained contact with me through many years. Urging me to become a monk... although I am getting married this summer.

a [school] degree gives u general idea
but when u come to live real life
you have to do everything by youself
that is happening to everyone
sometimes u have to take more than decade to find yourself
i have spend 20 years to find myself
even i meditate everyday
i start to meditate and search myself since 13
but i got to know myself more clear at 35
knowing yourself is the most difficult thing in the world
but there is the way to know;
1. focus in the moment
look deeper and deeper inside your mind now and check
what you think about yourself
in past and future now
reflect in very deep level
perhaps for 7 days
then you will have opportunity to know
this is difficult
2. do whatever you like to do
then when you get difficulty you will learn lesson
then you will know yourself piece by piece
in short 2 ways to know yourself
1.Focus now reflect what you think about yourself present past an future take 7 days retreat
u must reflect in very deep level
try to remove all bias
look at yourself based on reality not based on what you expect or think
2. learn from life experience or difficuty in your life then lesson will teach you and tell you about who you are or should be
both ways have advantage and disavantages
the first way takes short time, you will know yourself within 7 days
but the second way you will take a long time some people like me might take almost 20 years

What do you guys think? Food for though :blowbubbles:

Manstien

shit......honestly ICMAG has helped me alot the best part of my life right now is conversating/bonding with people 30 years older than me .. this is teaching me alot...being in my early 20's with different "problems" I'm just trying to stay happy and put my plan into action...and forget about all the negative things....

hopefully along the way I do find the purpose but from what I can tell now is I want nice property outside a city hopefully in a dense forest or some tropical getaway...a wife...a kid...share wealth with my family and hope they are happy as me in that point of life and have some close trust worthy friends....as they say though....Big dreams die big...something like that....good read x2

D

draco

if you can specifically identify your life's purpose... well, that's part of the illusion you see...

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
I haven't found my own purpose. I usually keep myself preoccupied with idle activities. Although I long to find something deep... searching for a passion.

maybe because lifes not about finding yourself but creating yourself

mrcreosote

Veteran
I have mastered the art of perfect serenity where I have no problems...

I cause others to have them.

Edit: Only if they don't like my style...I don't much care.
I gave up trying to win others approval when the doggie-treats ran out.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I think i have to agree with the others. At this point, my purpose is to grow great weed, and live as young as possible as long as possible.

So many go college, career, marriage, mortgage, kids.

Then they are 'grown up'.

Then a lot of these guys end up feeling plugged in and trapped.

Over 50% divorce rate, and of those still married, there is plenty of misery.

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
I don't know. I turn 25 this year. I tried heroin for the first time recently. I took my fucking asvab almost 2 years ago but have been considering enlisting in the military for almost 3 years. I have no idea why I am here other than my dad got home from a deployment and 9 months later I was born.

I don't want to fucking work, I don't want a career, I just want to be free and happy and not worry about dying.

sometimes I go through terrible bouts of depression and that's usually when i take my vacations from icmag/other forums but I have been trying a lot of positive thinking. I have an irrational fear of dying and i think the only thing that helps is when i just accept it as a part of life that occurs naturally and that there is no way to avoid it.

I think I am just in a salty mood because I am laying on the floor in an empty cold apartment typing on a tablet touch screen which is pissing me off.
and i haven't been laid in a while.
I need a bowl

I wish I did or have, I feel I am fairly intelligent and have a lot to offer and feel I can solve all the world's problems in one fell swoop if I were in charge... I do feel I have a higher purpose than being a wage slave and want to make the world a better place than it is now or what i was born into. I just dont know how or what to do but want to do it. So I wish you all the luck in the world to finding your purpose!

DarthFader1

Veteran
I don't know. I turn 25 this year. I tried heroin for the first time recently. I took my fucking asvab almost 2 years ago but have been considering enlisting in the military for almost 3 years. I have no idea why I am here other than my dad got home from a deployment and 9 months later I was born.

I don't want to fucking work, I don't want a career, I just want to be free and happy and not worry about dying.

sometimes I go through terrible bouts of depression and that's usually when i take my vacations from icmag/other forums but I have been trying a lot of positive thinking. I have an irrational fear of dying and i think the only thing that helps is when i just accept it as a part of life that occurs naturally and that there is no way to avoid it.

I think I am just in a salty mood because I am laying on the floor in an empty cold apartment typing on a tablet touch screen which is pissing me off.
and i haven't been laid in a while.
I need a bowl

You and me too bro. Sometimes when i think about death it hits me in the pit of the stomach so hard that it almost hurts.

You got a couple of hundred spare my man.. Go and find some totally hot banging slut and do your thing.. And don't feel bad about it. Enjoy it. I would..

Peace
Darth

gdiddy

Feyd -

Not to chastise you in any way, but if you've got an irrational fear of dying than you'd better stay the fuck away from heroin! Death sentence in a convenient, injectable form. Well, I do know one person who made it out alive from being an h-junky...still, the odds aren't good!

But on to more constructive dialogue.

Well, I'm right there with you on that one. But I'd suggest that inner reflection will trump enlisting in the military when it comes facilitating freedom and not-dying... There's nothing like abdicating control over your life and life's perspective for becoming a part of the machine. No offense to those in the armed forces (actually, Thanks for your sacrifice is more like it!), but with where you're coming from I'd think long and hard about that one.

If you're looking for direction, there's nothing like random chance to get things started. Remember, you can always change horses mid-race. I'll say that again, as it bears repeating: YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE HORSES MID-RACE!

...been trying a lot of positive thinking. I have an irrational fear of dying and i think the only thing that helps is when i just accept it as a part of life that occurs naturally and that there is no way to avoid it.
Well, you're onto something here. The power of positive thinking is as strong as heroin, but in the other direction. If you have a strong mind and can stay positive, the rest will follow.

I for one happen to be a card-carrying, capital-A Atheist. And I'm at peace with my place in space and time. I have no existential worries and am comfortable with the idea that we are perishable goods and can only last so long. Thus, my perspective is this: my current, conscious state of being is finite, so I'd better make the most of it and do what I want to do when I want to do it, without harming others, while causing as much positive influence as I can till I kick it. (See power of positivity, above...)

I'm not so much pushing atheism as much as demonstrating that a positive life's perspective can work wonders.

While I don't like the idea of joining the military, I do like the initiative. Life's full of opportunities, but no one said that they'll come find you. Ultimately, you've got to go out there and create an interesting, fulfilling life. What does that look like? Well, you've got plenty of time to think about that along the way--it's a long process...so it's best to learn to enjoy process.

Peace,

gdiddy