Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > What is a better name for these type of genetics??

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
What is a better name for these type of genetics?? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 AM #81
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Hrmmmm, interesting proposal, yet not quite there. Though it deals with red response and flowering, I'm not sure it is responsible for dark hours.

The name shouldn't have anything to do with where people live. It's not an auto, it's not a semi-auto. It definitely doesn't need to be confused with existing 'early' offerings.

Yes, short/long, day/night, it's all very confusing to new people. I'm ok with that, since it will eventually become common knowledge in the community.

Anyone happen to know if these genetics require fewer dark hours because they produce more flowering hormone, or is it because they require less flowering hormone present?
Dig a lil deeper concerning phytochrome.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 09-21-2017, 05:05 AM #82
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Ok...

I don't mean to be a humbug but...

Please explain what would be practical about such a trait being locked into a seedline?
I just don't see it.
If there's no purpose for the trait it doesn't really need defined, as suggested.

Why in the hell would anybody want to run their lights for 20+hours just to maintain a veg cycle?
These types are undesirable, imo, & WILL seemingly auto flower under a normal veg schedule w a dark period & under a gas lamp schedule.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 AM #83
metsäkana

metsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to beholdmetsäkana is a splendid one to behold
outdoor north there is already +18hours daylight in may i think july it start to go under 18hours about and between it can rise up to 24hours so its beneficial for me outdoor

veg them first 1-2months indoor on 21hours cycle =) root stress can show if its male of female but did not happen me much this spring only one did that and it have some autogenes on that line and it was male

and really fast male maybe it root stressed it to ''flower'' or it was auto..

most of i can veg without showing sex for month easy i have not tried so long becouse small pots..

autos i veg only to first 2 or 4 pair of leaves i think 4 is too much if its picky and root hit the bottom of pot it start to flower lol

fastest phenos might even flower at 19hours daylight lol

on midsummer its 20-22 hours daylight on south and 24 on north finland

i think the terms should discribe it hole world not just latitudes that dont have as much daylight

i do some exprimenting next spring i put couple on 10-20litre pots and veg them like 2-3months before putting outside? then they veg like 2-3indoor and 1-2months outdoor? sure not auto then xD

for sure they are not maybe beneficial for all but short northern summers or high altitude growing might be perfectooo or if you want crop middle summer somewhere it start flower when you put it outside becouse lack of daylight hours lol

Last edited by metsäkana; 09-21-2017 at 05:28 AM..
metsäkana is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:02 PM #84
c00k1eFunk

c00k1eFunk has a spectacular aura aboutc00k1eFunk has a spectacular aura aboutc00k1eFunk has a spectacular aura about
like metsäkana said, there are not only growers in sunny California. He has his 20h light schedules, i have my 16h schedules and 1billion people in between our latitudes would love to have 17-18h strains!
12/12 for ID screws up genetic for OD people now we have to finde those few strains having desirable traits(for us desirable)
thanks to esbe from HFH i think i got what i was looking for a long time.. 3 super fast photoperiod males to experiment with!

is male pollen illegal?
c00k1eFunk is offline Quote

Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM #85
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Very good points.

So 4D? Kinda catchy, though I'm not looking for catchy. lol Just need a specific designation, free from confusion.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM #86
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
I feel like the name should include short night time, or some variation. The extremely short dark period is really it's entire claim to fame.
Yes but it might be best to adhere to commonly accepted descriptors of the plant flowering cycle. ultra sensitive short day or ultra sensitive photoperiod are accurate in this respect.
Natural high is offline Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 AM #87
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
It's not the 'day' portion of the light cycle we're talking about. We're talking about the significantly shorter night period required for flowering. The 'day' can be whatever it likes (within reason), it'll flower with 4hrs of 'dark.'

Yes, it's a photosensitive plant. Again, we're focusing on the plant reaction to an absence of photons.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 AM #88
offthehook

offthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really nice
@Wildkender

'Semi Auto Flowering' is a worthless term that's misleading as fuck. Only to be used by breeders, not by seed vendors supposedly selling *strains* ^^

Now if ya have a 'strain' ehm ehm, that kicks out 25% auto's and 75% earlies or vice versa, then people will still call it 'Semi', even though tecnically spoken it should be 50% then.

Point is, seed vendors don't want to sell their product under the name: 'Unfinnished' product, or 'strain still in progress', so they end up calling it * Semi auto's *

So long it is not a pure auto OR a pure early, it is not even possible to call it a 'strain' at all.

Quote Wildkender: "These very early strains are called semi-autoflowering strains".

That some crappy determination right there. > It is possible to make a photo earlier by using auto genes yes, but only to the point until they become true auto's. (These type of plants are pretty crappy for the production factor though > Since they carry the budding power from the auto while having the vegetitative life performance of the photo.

Very early strains that do not carry the auto gene are much more sought after > Since they keep having the life cycle performance of a photo, AND the budding power of a photo.

Now if you were to call the latter type of plant 'Semi auto flowering' only because they are ' as you say ' very early strains' Then You and I are going to need to have a chat again on this topic.

It would be an insult to the actual plants genetical make up, and as such, it does not deserve to be called a 'semi auto'

Long story short: Vendors happen to be misleading. > Shit happens. People get fucked over.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 AM #89
offthehook

offthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural high View Post
Yes but it might be best to adhere to commonly accepted descriptors of the plant flowering cycle. ultra sensitive short day or ultra sensitive photoperiod are accurate in this respect.

There's also 'photoperiod' behaving plants that will shoot into flower under 24 hours of daylight after only 3 or 4 weeks of vegetative state.

So no, therefore it is not accurate to call them Ultra sensitive photo periods either, but on a way they are. Can't beat the paradox in this one.

There's only Auto and Early.

Auto has a built-in hormonal timer

Early's hormones respond to dark, or then again not, but most of all, they don't have the built in timer.

They flower when they are ready to bloom, some determined by dark, some, only because it's a good time to bloom asap.

For the latter ones: During good temps they will bloom during week 3 or 4, and when temps are shitty way off, then they'll bloom a couple of weeks later.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 PM #90
MJPassion
Observer

How many of these early types start flowering because they became root bound?
Sweet Tooth & some of it's progeny are notorious for flowering upon becoming root bound!