Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Breeder's Laboratory > Potency and Seed Production

Thread Title Search
Potency and Seed Production Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM #1
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
Potency and Seed Production

Hi All,

I know there is probably information about this somewhere on the forum but I’d thought I’d throw it out there to see if there is anyone who has had some personal experience.

The question is does seed production affect the potency of the plant of which the seeds were made? To define a little more, is cannabinoid production affected by the plant producing seeds. I know yield can be affected.

The reason I ask, I made some seed which I germ tested and than just left to grow outdoors and kind of forgot about them. They went to flower and one of them really reeked skunk/rubber. I took a cut of her which took and also pollinated her with some pollen I had. The seeds are basically mature but the only bud I will have to test will be seeded.

Will I be able to get a fair assessment of this plant being that it was seeded?
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 06:16 PM #2
stihgnobevoli
Banned

stihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud of
no it's only gonna effect the yield. instead of making more flowers it devotes most if not all it's energy to make the seeds once pollinated.
stihgnobevoli is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 PM #3
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
Thanks stihg…I was kind of thinking along those lines but just wanted some reassurance. The plant is a one off but it caught my curiosity so I took a cut and also pollinated it just in case. I usually pollinate proven specimens and only partially, enough to get the quantity of seeds I need. This one is small and I pretty much hit every available site with pollen.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM #4
rik78

rik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of lightrik78 is a glorious beacon of light
the quality is also gonna be lower, I know because its what I smoking right now, and yes it get you high, but is not top of the shelve...
rik78 is offline Quote

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM #5
stihgnobevoli
Banned

stihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud ofstihgnobevoli has much to be proud of
i never had any quality issues. i don't even see how that would be possible. plants gonna give you the same high regardless. the only thing that would change it would be if you took it more clear vs more amber.
stihgnobevoli is offline Quote

Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 PM #6
offthehook

offthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really niceoffthehook is just really nice
Does hair and nails grow differently on a pregnant women who can eat all she wants?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 PM #7
Momerath

Momerath is a jewel in the roughMomerath is a jewel in the roughMomerath is a jewel in the roughMomerath is a jewel in the roughMomerath is a jewel in the roughMomerath is a jewel in the rough
I too haven't noticed a change in quality, but yes yield. In fact in some cases the pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud on the same plant. This is coming from years of observation on many many pollinated plants.
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Growin' in compliance with Prop 215
Momerath is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 PM #8
Growcephus

Growcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really niceGrowcephus is just really nice
Before the indoor grow revolution kicked off in full force, pretty much ALL the weed we got back in the day was seeded to some extent. In our area of the world, at least.

Seeded weed will still get you high, but it's just a pain in the ass filtering out all the seeds.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 AM #9
harry74
Banned

harry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to allharry74 is a name known to all
I´ve been smoking Bay Dream that was seeded. I´ll say it does affect potency.
I´ve got a cutting of the same plant flowering outdoors, looks like will be done in about 2 weeks.
I think I´ll be able to tell better when I sample that bud.
Bay Dream pollinated
Outdoors back right.
harry74 is offline Quote

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM #10
Betterhaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momerath View Post
In fact in some cases the pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud on the same plant.
Thanks for the input folks, maybe I should have started a poll, lol. I harvested a couple of lower buds that were the first pollinated a week ago, the seeds were ripe and the calyxes were splitting, I was afraid the seeds were going to drop. I put the small buds on a shelf in my kitchen to dry and the whole house stunk.

The herb was dry enough so I rolled a pinner last night and after a couple of hits I can say I’m glad I took a clone. Pine/hash/lemon taste with a very up high and a slight touch of warm body. I really didn’t pay much attention to the trichs since I was after the seed but when I looked at the plant today they were cloudy.

I guess it’s kind of tough to judge in this scenario because I’m looking for mature seeds. Some of the bud may end up a little over done since I want to make sure the seeds are ripe. At least what I smoked was very good and not the other way around. I will have the clone to play with.

“Pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud”…interesting. I won’t be able to tell with this plant. When making seeds by pollinating only selected branches on a plant, I never bothered to check…usually the plants were very resinous to begin with.

Sounds like an experiment. Take 2 clones of the same plant and grow identically. Put into flower and completely dust one when ready. When plants are ripe, harvest and compare.