What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$200 DIY Greenhouse

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks max, i am stoked !!!

can't wait to taste all the goodness of the fresh veggies and fruits...

i had a little luck outdoors last year, but this year should be much bigger and better ;)

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Your greenhouse looks great. It's going to be rocking once you get all those plants going. Best of luck to you.

-Funk

GP73LPC

Veteran
well 7 trailer loads of dirt and we're ready on one side of the greenhouse... in fact, i put 64 onion sets out today. 32 reds and 32 whites... )

picture.php

i also built the sides for the other bed... 7 more loads of dirt and i'll be there :mad:

picture.php

and finally, here's the broccoli, still kicking ass... it's about to start flowering and the 2nd and 3rd set of heads are not tight like the main one was. i think i will just let this one flower so i can collect seeds... i still have other broccoli seedlings ready to go into the greenhouse soon... :tiphat:

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
broccoli is flowering... i'm gonna collect seeds...

picture.php

also i forgot to post these pics...

i put in some more broccoli, some brussel sprouts, some cauliflower, some cabbage, some romaine lettuce, some leaf lettuce seed and carrot seeds the other day ;)

picture.php

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
i was hoping it would be this spring/summer, but it looks like it could be another 6 months to a a year :cry:

believe me i am dying to get back in the game... :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks buddy, me too !!! got a lot of new genetics i need to try :D

GP73LPC

Veteran
a little update on irrigation and lattice for plants that climb/vine...

i am finishing up on my automatic irrigation system... as you all know (if you've read the whole thread and my rainwater collection system thread) i have plumbed into my greenhouse. i have to run over to the 2nd raised bed still, but today i picked up everything i will need. pictured here is my battery operated automatic timer. this thing will prevent me from having to tend to the plants... coming off of here will be a soaker hose in each raised bed. this thing runs off of 4 AA batteries and when i bought it i fully intended on buying a 6 volt solar panel and battery to use, but the instructions act like it uses so little power that a set of 4 AA's will last all season and then some...

picture.php

also adding at least 8 feet of lattice to help support some snap pea's, okra, cucumbers and anything else that it might help... that's a shovel that got in the pic, not support for the lattice...

picture.php

still need about 5 more trailers of dirt and this baby will be fully operational !!!!! :dance013: :jump: :dance:

:tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
a little update...

my soaker hose plan did not work, not enough pressure. so i will go with Plan A and PVC pipe... will pick that stuff up soon...

in the meantime, the plants are ROCKING !!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

got some lettuce and carrot seeds that have just germinated too !!!! :woohoo:

still need to finish up the other raised bed too... we're getting there...

GP73LPC

Veteran
nice work bro:tiphat:
Do you plan use mulch, tea and other organics?

i plan on making a couple of compost barrels at some point in the future...

until that time it will be miracle grow OR my GH hydroponic nutes... :dunno:

right now everything is young and only on the rich soil that i filled my raised beds with...

GP73LPC

Veteran
greenhouse is rocking !!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Old broccoli plant is now flowering:
picture.php

2nd side under construction... i really got wrap this up, i got seeds and seedlings that need homes...
picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
just read up on flowering broccoli and making seeds...

found this:
Flowers are perfect, most of which cannot be self-pollinated. Necessary cross-pollination is performed by bees. The stigma becomes receptive before the flower opens, and pollen is shed hours after the flower opens.

so this plant is not gonna make any seeds...

it will probably laid to rest soon, but it did provide a great head of broccoli...
picture.php

Opus53

beautiful setup dude, cant wait to see you cultivate some weed in this space but hey! I love the more legal fruits in life too! so il be a regular caller!...cheerz for shareing the knowhow:thank you:

GP73LPC

Veteran
ok...

operationally things are working. might need some tweaking on the irrigation, but we're online :D

set to water every 48 hours for 5 mins. approximately 1/5" of rain based on how the tank level moved today...

picture.php

picture.php

you can actually see the water in these next two pics. might need to increase pressure a bit, if so i have some ideas... works for now...

picture.php

picture.php

now for the other side... i finished filling the bed. i also got the plumbing installed as well as planted some strawberries, cucumbers, okra, tomato's seedlings. also planted some bush beans, snap peas and spinach seeds.

still have room for about 6 to 8 more plants...

pumpkin, squash, watermelon and cantaloupe will be outside, but inside a chain length fence.

corn will be outside with garlic and asparagus (most likely behind some chicken wire fence)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the lattice will be used to vine my cucumber seedling, 2 bush bean plants, 2 snap pea plants and 2 strawberry plants. the beans and peas have backup seeds starting tonight indoors in case those in the greenhouse don't pop, but i don't see that happening. also since all those plants vining, i might have room for an extra row of plants in the raised beds. well along the lattice anyway...

i planted 2 my okra seedlings and my azoychka tomato seedling and my early girl seedling.

i still need some peppers and more tomato's in the mix.

oh and for the potatoes, i think i am doing some trash can potatoes... check youtube for the technique... i got potatoes and sweet potatoes. probably just have those trash cans sitting in the green house...

oh and i need to put down some rocks in the greenhouse walkway now that the dirt hauling is done. rocks or mulch, with plastic under it so i can have a nice dry walkway.

album.php

album.php

album.php

Latest posts

Latest posts