What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Chuck Berry

RetroGrow

Veteran
Chuck Berry, the Godfather of Rock & Roll, has died at age 90 years. Chuck Berry was a visionary and an original. RIP.

N

noyd666

rip .
picture.php

Dirt Life

Veteran
Sorry guys, but Johnny B. Goode was written by Marty McFly...

;)

R.I.P. Chuck Berry, you did more than pioneer Rock N' Roll, you defined a scene of a movie in my childhood forever..

"I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it."

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Johnny B. Goode....written by Berry in 1955, the song is about an illiterate "country boy" from the New Orleans area, who plays a guitar "just like ringing a bell," and who might one day have his "name in lights." Berry has acknowledged that the song is partly autobiographical and originally, the lyrics referred to Johnny as a "colored boy", but he changed it to "country boy" to ensure radio play. As well as suggesting that the guitar player is good, the title hints at autobiographic elements, because Berry was born at 2520 Goode Avenue, in St. Louis...(from wiki)

What I admired about him, he brought the masses to hoppin' roll and roll with many artists following. Johnny B. Goode was a major hit among both black and white audiences, peaking at number 2 on Billboard magazine's Hot R&B Sides chart and number 8 on its Hot 100 chart in 1958. That was an era of great strife's and glad Mr. Berry broke the mold with others following...Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly....paving the way.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Sorry arid, my post was reference to a Back To The Future scene where Marty sings Johnny B. Goode @ a school dance, which causes "Marvin" Berry to call his cousin Chuck saying "Remember that sound youve been looking for, well listen to this...". Didnt mean to come off like I was seriously saying that..

To say Chuck Berry is a legend is an understatement, and may he R.I.P.

RetroGrow

Veteran
"...He never ever learned to read or write so well, but he could play a guitar like just like ringing a bell"......
Classic. That should be his epitaph.....great line...