What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australia Allows Medical Marijuana Nation-Wide!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
In a first for Australia, the national legislature has agreed to allow medical cannabis use.

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 voted
The Australian Parliament passed a measure Wednesday legalizing medical marijuana.The amendments to the Narcotic Drugs Act will allow cannabis to be legally grown for medical and scientific purposes for the first time in Australia.
"This is an historic day for Australia and the many advocates who have fought long and hard to challenge the stigma around medicinal cannabis products so genuine patients are no longer treated as criminals," Minister for Health Sussan Ley said in a statement.
"This is the missing piece in a patient's treatment journey and will now see seamless access to locally-produced medicinal cannabis products from farm to pharmacy."

Read more about this here.

Skip

Veteran
Never thought I'd see the day...

Hooray for Oz!

Time to revisit Nimibin.

The law covers Queensland too.
Here's to those who've blocked legalization there for decades... :moon:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great news for OZ !!!! now how about the US take a right step ???

dddaver

Veteran
Thanks. A significant step agreed, but I was wondering if they were going to allow home growing by the eligibles. The answer is no.

The cultivation, production and manufacturing process will be regulated by a state or territory government agency. There’s no change to Australia’s strict international obligations to drug safety, which means the process will be tightly controlled. As explained in the Bill:
“As a signatory to the Single Convention, Australia agrees that the licit use of narcotic drugs must be tightly regulated to ensure that public health is protected from the risks of diversion into illicit markets.”

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/02/australia-sort-of-legalises-marijuana-what-you-need-to-know/

B

BAKED_BEANZ

you need to read the fine print on this one :) it won't be allowing residents to grow med cannabis . cause that won't line the governments pockets .

but people who need it , will get the relief they need legally . which i guess is the main thing. i believe its restricted to just oil at this stage . ( i could have that wrong ) step in the right direction regardless .

sorry skip put your nimbin visit on hold :(

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Never thought I'd see the day...

Hooray for Oz!

Time to revisit Nimibin.

The law covers Queensland too.
Here's to those who've blocked legalization there for decades... :moon:

Yea not as good looking as it sounds ,
like mr beans says ,
the fine print is pretty discouraging ..

You already saw the monopolies and the corporate control while you were here ,, nothing is or will be for the people , just for the big pharma to make money after lobbying their buddies in parliament..

We suspect the average guy wanting to grow a few plants at home for personal use could actually end up in more trouble once he is breaking federal laws ... This is the case with tobacco here ..

Andyo

Veteran
Yea not as good looking as it sounds ,
like mr beans says ,
the fine print is pretty discouraging ..

You already saw the monopolies and the corporate control while you were here ,, nothing is or will be for the people , just for the big pharma to make money after lobbying their buddies in parliament..

We suspect the average guy wanting to grow a few plants at home for personal use could actually end up in more trouble once he is breaking federal laws ... This is the case with tobacco here ..
Yep about right, i can hear the citizen sheep bleating n cheering in ignorance from here .A

ozza

Veteran
Australia Allows Medical Marijuana Nation-Wide!

for Pharmaceutical companies and dudes with heaps of cash. Like more then me. Any investors see me. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts