What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Vortex Brewer

Bunz

Seen a few of these on the net and thought I'd submit my DIY'er...........

Cost less then $100, with the majority being spent on the air pump. DO NOT skimp on the air pump, otherwise you won't get the lift and vortex that is necessary to make this work properly. Pics should be self explanatory.............most of the plumbing is 1.5' and the output is 3/4" (mainly because 3/4" is cheaper then 1.5") Pump is a 60 lpm air pump.

On with the show...................

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is where the air lines go into the brewer. They are about 3/4 of the way down the pipe creating the lift.

picture.php

Bunz

Here is the air pump.

picture.php

And the vortex that is created.

picture.php

To keep it ghetto fabulous, I strapped it to a milk crate using rope ratchets...................

picture.php

Bunz :D

Budal

Looks cool

Looks cool

Forgive my ignorance but what is this fancy thing meant to do? Aerate your nute mix?

City Twin

Cool. Nice compact design and execution. Would make a great design for a 3 gallon bottle unit.

What is the little rubber cap, where the air lines go in, called?

Bunz

With further thought, I'd probably eliminate the rubber cap and install a hard pvc cap at the top of the lift. Right above the 90, I'd install a 1.5" "t" and then use a barbed reducer allowing me to use the 3/8" air line directly from the pump and eliminate the air distribution block and (4) 1/4" airlines.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Nice job, Bunz. :good: I like the vortex brewer a lot, I was using a PVC diffuser which was nice for a spell but can't compare to this.

gOurd^jr.

Very nice Bunz! You really ought to get your air pump above the water line though, or at least install and anti-siphon valve. Otherwise if your brewing and your power goes out your pump will siphon itself full of tea...
Have you checked out this sticky from the Organic forum?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=200274
TONS of info about airlifts, vortex brewers etc.

Bunz

Very nice Bunz! You really ought to get your air pump above the water line though, or at least install and anti-siphon valve. Otherwise if your brewing and your power goes out your pump will siphon itself full of tea...
Have you checked out this sticky from the Organic forum?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=200274
TONS of info about airlifts, vortex brewers etc.
Ya that was in the plans...............For some reason my dumbass forgot Basic Plumbing 101. :)

I'll probably go the full route and install the "T" and barbed reducer too.

Bunz

What is in the Boogie tea? What ingredients I mean.

Premium Biodynamic Composted Humus,
Ultra-High Chitinase* Quality Worm Castings
Rock Phosphate, Langbeneite, Organic Soy & Alfalfa
Cold Water Atlantic Kelp Extract,
Gypsum, Oyster-shell and Dolomite Lime
Excelerite - Supreme Trace Minerals
Humic Acid From Leonardite Shale
Soluble Endo/Ecto Mycorrhizae,
Bio-Mineral Blend containing:
Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc, Borate, Iron, & Copper

I always add a "glug" of molasses for additional food for the microbes.

Latest posts

Latest posts